Seasonal Hire

John19841

Alright, Where to start?

I've been reading this board for a long time. Never posted anything, but have been reading...

Anyway, I am a seasonal driver. First off, I know there are a lot of posts from seasonal drivers asking all sorts of questions, most of which I am going to ask again in hope of a more relevant answer.

I was hired as a seasonal driver for peak of '05. The center manager and my On Car Sup told me repeatedly that they wanted to keep me past peak. To make a long story short, I screwed up on my last day, and had the most minor of backing accidents (really, less than $50 of damage, but not the point) I do not accept the accident was my fault, but accept responsibility that it could of been avoided. I could go into lots of detail here, but like I said, it's beyond the point.

So, fast forward to May of this year. I applied for seasonal again, for the summer. Received a phone call from my previous On Car, and said I had the job if I passed the driver training. Did easily, starting driving the beginning of June. I was hired as a cover driver, but was given a route. Did it every day until the 14th of Sept. when I was laid off for the two week layoff between summer and peak. Funny thing is, when I started the On Car Sup (My Sup now) said I was going for my 30 days....Said everyday 30 days, 29 days, 28...etc, etc. I was almost there. Obviously I knew this was BS since it was a free period, but just went along with him.)

So, I'm on my layoff right now. Actually, I'm on a 3 week layoff. I asked my center manager for an extra week because my daughter will be born Oct. 3rd (C-section...My first). He was very supportive, and asked me if I wanted the week after that off also. I declined and said I would be back Oct 8th. He said too just make sure I come back, because he really wants me to stay on for peak.

Thank you for reading all that. I just figured I'd give a little background info on my situation. With that said, I feel like I do an exceptional job day in and day out. I love my job, I really do. I run scratch just about every day (only time I don't is when I help another driver). Actually, I help the other drivers in my group a lot, but most of the time manage to do it and still run scratch. Although, I believe this time around I have a fairly easy route (Don't tell anyone). I'm back at the hub at 6:15 everyday.

Moving on, I believe that my last center manager would of hired me in a second. We wre in constant contact everyday, and he was always telling me what a great job I was doing, and all that. The new center manager I have now, I don't really talk to much at all. Although, I think that is a good thing (doesn't know me, I believe means my name is off his "lists", means I'm doing alright). Every time we do exchange words, he seems to be pleased with me.

Alright, I'm really sorry for writing a novel here, I have some questions, and would like to get them across. I am young (just turned 23), live in Mass, and am really hoping I get hired on full time. I mean REALLY hoping. I read your negative comments about UPS all day, and can see where you're coming from, but I truly believe a lot of you forget where you come from, and forget how hard life would be if you did not have this job. I am a hard worker, was raised to, and can't understand the laziness that is most of my generation. Being my age right now, living where I do is HARD. I have no (well, 1 year) college education. I could not (nor my parents) afford a college education. So, most jobs I qualify for pay $12 dollars an hour. You can not live in Mass for $12 an hour. If I do not get hired on full time I do not know what I am going to do...I really don't. I don't understand how people expect the younger generations to survive with todays lifestyle. Everything i so expensive You can't touch a house for less than $300k. I just don't understand. There must be other companies around here that pay a living wage, but myself and everyone I associate myself with (read: Friends) seems to be in the same boat I am.

Wow, getting way off topic now, just wanted to establish my point, that I truly believe a lot of you forget how lucky you are to have the career (not job) that you do.

So, my real question. I know about the 6 to 1 ratio thing. I would first like to know if 6 from the inside have to make it to full time driver, or just be eligible? Also, are they ever allowed to break that ratio? I would love to hear stories of temps who have made it, or are trying right now. Would they keep my name on a "list" and wait until that 6th position is filled, and then call me? My on car sup said that if I keep going the way I am, I will be the first one called back after peak...but, after the whole (just going for my 30 days thing...I really don't believe a word he says, although I believe he (along with all my management) is a really great guy. So, what do you think my chances are? Know anyone who became full time after temp? Did so yourself? Like I said, would love to hear your story, if only for encouragement.:thumbup1:

(Disclaimer....It is FRIDAY night. I am semi-young. I have been drinking upon typing all of this. If anything does not quite make sense, I apologize.)

DS

Fenderbender
Ryan...relax, you sound like youd be a benefit to ups...just keep razzing them,and start taking lunch when you get full time

VTBrown

I was a seasonal driver who was hired perm on the 6 - 1. I worked 1 peak and was hired on.

Not only do you need to be in contact with your center manager but also your Union local and the HR who hired you. That you'd like the outside bid.

Though....any backing accident is your fault. Thats one place you need to change your thinking. As soon as that truck is in reverse your in charge of anything that happens.

As far as the horror stories here? Yeah...bunch of cry babies mostly. Some valid points but for the most part - it's over spilled milk. Don't let them faze you.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Ryan

It sounds to me like you have your foot firmly planted in the door. If you do a good job I can assure you there is nothing the management team would like better than to hire you on a permanent basis. I was one of the lucky ones that was hired straight into driving off the street many moons ago. Your right when you state that we forget where we came from. Even though the cost of living is much cheaper where I live, I am amazed that people are able to survive on the money that companies are paying these days. Even worse when you have kids that you are trying to raise.

When there are only "X" amount of driving positions available there isn't much they can do with the hiring process. The company wants production high and costs low so they only hire enough people to get the job done. But...... you know that already. We are continually working long hours in our center. The center manager informed us yesterday that they were going to hire a peak helper from last year and send him to driver training in the next two weeks. After peak it will take a lot of effort on his part not to become discouraged with the lack of hours. He will work only on vacation coverage and heavy days.

Bottom line is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease at UPS. Don't let them forget you. Once they know that you have desire to work, they will remember you when the time comes, 6:1 ratio or not if they can make it work. Believe me. I know from personal experience. Took me three years to get hired and I bugged the center manager every week till they hired me.

Good luck to you. Sounds as if you have your head on straight.