seasonal preload and union dues?

that seems odd that they have seasonals pay dues when theres a chance that they may not be hired on to a permanent position...does anyone know why they have to pay them?

feeder53

ADKtrails
I am P/T and I pay dues but only because I am a Union member and float on the extra board at the hall. In my local, you have to get so many days in and then pay the initial fees and then you are a member of the union and as such must pay union dues. I have never seen anyone that is not a member of the union pay the dues. Then you would also get a reciept for your dues and there would be union meetings......if not I think something sound strange.

iowa boy

In our local, if you are a seasonal employee, you cannot join and thus won't pay dues until you obtain your seniority and become a regular employee

Big Babooba

This must be a regional issue. Up here, casual employees pay dues and are eligible for health & welfare and union pension. This does not apply to driver's helpers during Christmas.

tourists24

A lot will depend on where you live. I know here you dont pay dues at all if you wish not to join the union (right to work state). Even if you do sign a card to join, it doesnt start until you have reached seniority.

preloader

Bleeding Brown from ears
As Florida is a "right to work" state, technically you dont have to join the union and by law they must "represent" you just as much as a union member. This is how i understand it from an ex-steward at least. Funny thing is though, the union starts taking dues out of your first check and maybe, if you're lucky, and the stars align just right under a full moon, the current shop steward might pop in and get your John Hancock to allow them to "start" paying dues. More than likely, this will be the last time you see him till an anual meeting. Grievences are rarely filed and sups work in every position imaginable every day. Id say the union here is a joke, but for my $50 a month, i find it tough to summon the slightest chuckle.

D.A.NGUYEN

here at local 728, you are not obligated to join the union. we are in the state of georgia. as per our by-laws, until you reach your seniority date (30 days) you are not eligible to join the union any ways. hope this helps

working up a sweat

In my area they have to pay the initiation fee (450.00 ). UPS will start the peak newbies about 1 hour or a little more a night. They get a paycheck for about 5 bucks a week for the first 2 weeks and they are upset and quit.