Seasonal workers being hired permanent before October 15th??

cynic

One of the seasonal hires on our sort told me they were hired as a "permanent" hire since the new contract says they can be hired up to October 15th as permanent hires. All I could say to them was to call the local union - we don't have a steward on our sort.

Does this sound correct? Or just smoke blown up their ass by HR and the FT/PT sup's?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Typically, I tend to see the last "batch" of regular permanent employees hired in late September. If they're hired in October, they won't attain seniority before the "free" period in November/December. I don't remember reading anything about the free period for peak being reduced in the TA; if anything, it was increased into January for use of cover drivers.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I was discussing the new hire pay and how it applies to seasonal employees with someone the other day.. while those seasonal employees would be entitled to a $1.50 x (amount of hours worked) + $2.25 x (amount of OT hours worked) check whenever the TA is approved, I have a feeling the checks for the guys that aren't retained after peak might not get mailed unless they're requested..

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
One of the seasonal hires on our sort told me they were hired as a "permanent" hire since the new contract says they can be hired up to October 15th as permanent hires. All I could say to them was to call the local union - we don't have a steward on our sort.

Does this sound correct? Or just smoke blown up their ass by HR and the FT/PT sup's?
In my building...they'd be blowing smoke. They'll use n abuse them thru peak...but once it slows down the end of january...they'll be either on call or sent home 3x a week...till they give up and quit. There are a few exceptions, but over the years....that's what I've seen.

RealPerson

Just wondering why it matters???

But yes, If you are told you are hired perm, then after seasonal you are kept on...

Get it in Writing, BUT If told your are Perm, then that is what it is.

They will NOT gain seniority during seasonal period, but the day after peak is over, then the date will / can be back dated to date hired....

cynic

Just wondering why it matters???

But yes, If you are told you are hired perm, then after seasonal you are kept on...

Get it in Writing, BUT If told your are Perm, then that is what it is.

They will NOT gain seniority during seasonal period, but the day after peak is over, then the date will / can be back dated to date hired....

The "permanent" / seasonal hire said they were glad because their seniority would start to accrue for health insurance benefits, which is the primary reason they chose to come work at UPS at a PT'er.

cynic

In my building...they'd be blowing smoke. They'll use n abuse them thru peak...but once it slows down the end of january...they'll be either on call or sent home 3x a week...till they give up and quit. There are a few exceptions, but over the years....that's what I've seen.

I agree. They're rushing the seasonals through some type of (alleged) training and shoving them out the door to work in the hub. I had one seasonal come into a trailer to help me unload and they pulled down a wall on both of us by the 3rd package they touched - hey, they'll learn, it's all good but I still walked out of the trailer to the PT sup and told them I'm not a trainer and please get someone to work with the seasonal and either move me to another trailer, move the seasonal, or please get a steward as it was creating an unsafe work environment. Obviously they moved me and left the seasonal in the trailer crashing walls...

RealPerson

The "permanent" / seasonal hire said they were glad because their seniority would start to accrue for health insurance benefits, which is the primary reason they chose to come work at UPS at a PT'er.

Under the New ACA, they might be correct...

There is a Lot of new laws and rules with the Obama care. Insurance has to be offered after so many hours worked....

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I agree. They're rushing the seasonals through some type of (alleged) training and shoving them out the door to work in the hub. I had one seasonal come into a trailer to help me unload and they pulled down a wall on both of us by the 3rd package they touched - hey, they'll learn, it's all good but I still walked out of the trailer to the PT sup and told them I'm not a trainer and please get someone to work with the seasonal and either move me to another trailer, move the seasonal, or please get a steward as it was creating an unsafe work environment. Obviously they moved me and left the seasonal in the trailer crashing walls...
the training is absolutely terrible whether they're temp or perm....this is a pc, here are packages....load! It's almost better throwing it in with a shovel. As far as which new hires is HR lying to now? I'd love to care but I just don't anymore.....happens every year.

cynic

the training is absolutely terrible whether they're temp or perm....this is a pc, here are packages....load! It's almost better throwing it in with a shovel. As far as which new hires is HR lying to now? I'd love to care but I just don't anymore.....happens every year.

There really is no training since they hand out the "test" and the answer sheet at the same time. Everyone gets a 100% every time...

I just hate to see people tear up their bodies for a couple months and not receiving what they were verbally told they'd be eligible to receive or accrue.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
There really is no training since they hand out the "test" and the answer sheet at the same time. Everyone gets a 100% every time...

I just hate to see people tear up their bodies for a couple months and not receiving what they were verbally told they'd be eligible to receive or accrue.
Agreed, I understand where you're coming from but answer me this...can any of them PROVE what they were verbally told?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

​They will be offered management positions once peak season is over in June 2014.