Seasonal workers gone

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Well I hope you can still breathe with your head in the sand. Btw…RPS wasn’t the issue, it was when FedEx turned them into FedEx Ground. Didn’t happen overnight but I’d say they’re a formidable competitor now a days, wouldn’t you.
Relax, Chicken Little

If you've been here 30 years, then you've seen worse peaks.
I know I have.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Relax, Chicken Little

If you've been here 30 years, then you've seen worse peaks.
I know I have.
Nope, actually the decline started 3 years ago in NorCal. Volume has grown exponentially along side the growth of e-commerce till the second week of December 2020. The importance of that date, that was when Amazon went live in our area. Over night blue vans were everywhere and like Thanos snapping his fingers, half of our residential stops was gone. The economy, the end of free money, and Amazon delivering their own stuff was a recipe for disaster. They grow we shrink, how long do we stay relevant in that climate. Our volume is/was our golden ticket. The shrinking of it results in our shrinking leverage over our margins. I’ll be gone when the music stops and hopefully you have the years in too.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
IMG_4755.jpeg

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Nope, actually the decline started 3 years ago in NorCal. Volume has grown exponentially along side the growth of e-commerce till the second week of December 2020. The importance of that date, that was when Amazon went live in our area. Over night blue vans were everywhere and like Thanos snapping his fingers, half of our residential stops was gone. The economy, the end of free money, and Amazon delivering their own stuff was a recipe for disaster. They grow we shrink, how long do we stay relevant in that climate. Our volume is/was our golden ticket. The shrinking of it results in our shrinking leverage over our margins. I’ll be gone when the music stops and hopefully you have the years in too.
UPS has ran their vans here for almost a decade and we got tons of Amazon up until recently. UPS said they were parting ways. This is planned.

Manifesto

Sounds like you want Amazon to be the basis of our volume and profits. That's not a good business model either. If we're depending on Amazon to survive as a company that's just not sound thinking. Let them do their thing, blow through employees at a much higher rate than us and find out that they'll never be able to ship for other companies, at least not at the way they are currently going about things. We can then focus on other sources of volume which is what it sounds like the CEO is trying to do anyways. Emphasis on trying.

Brownwind

Fortunately we have seniority and after three decades we aren’t broke. I’m willing to bet you have a solid plan and quality savings account.

One thing I learned is we may not always agree with the big guys up the ladder but they sure know how to make money.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Our volume is "headed in the wrong direction" because of other factors, not Amazon.

Kohl's does not ship via Amazon ! What the heck made you even come up with that ?????
Kohl's takes Amazon returns and sells select Amazon merchandise, PERIOD

You're the same type of guy that was worried RPS and DHL were going to put us out to pasture.
Relax and cash those checks. UPS has issues but growing the business isn't one of them.
Our potential strike and high interest rate credit is the reason for this flaccid peak.
Ups totally :censored2:ed up with the contract negotiations….would be willing to bet my wife that 2028 negotiating will be much difference and be done within weeks. A hard lesson for the company and us employees who will be laid off because of it.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Sounds like you want Amazon to be the basis of our volume and profits. That's not a good business model either. If we're depending on Amazon to survive as a company that's just not sound thinking. Let them do their thing, blow through employees at a much higher rate than us and find out that they'll never be able to ship for other companies, at least not at the way they are currently going about things. We can then focus on other sources of volume which is what it sounds like the CEO is trying to do anyways. Emphasis on trying.
Completely agree with you, it’s best to completely walk away from them so we can focus on other revenue. Problem is that will result in a company that doesn’t look like we do now. Layoffs is just the kind way of saying we don’t need you anymore. Come January there will be a lot of that. Question is how deep will the cuts go.

moldsporh

They grow we shrink
The volume is being adjusted, when more companies deliver, then the pieces have to go somewhere.

Pre and post pandemic era volume and spending, along with inflation is re-adjusting. I've seen this happen over and over with volume during peak seasons without a pandemic. Couple that with inflation, people curbing their spending and this will happen.