Seat Belt useage.........

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
While driving home this afternoon, noticed a 700 pull out of a driveway, stopped at the stopsign, then pulled out onto the road. The driver was not wearing the seatbelt.

Got me to thinking. What happens to a driver when the district safety sup is watching when you ride around without your seat belt.

The last contract I looked at would make it very tough for you to get your job back if they did fire the driver. And if it did go before the arbitrator, you would lose.

Why is it that drivers do not wear their seat belts.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
D, I am in such a habit of using the seatbelt that even when I am pulling away from a dock (just a few feet) I put my belt on. If I think about it, I wonder why I put it on. After all, I am only pulling up enough to close my back door. It takes as long to put it on as it does to move. Then I remind my self, it's because that is what I was taught and it's policy. I can't imagine why a driver would not wear it. It is not worth losing your job over, IMHO.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It is wrong to not wear a seatbelt. It is also wrong for UPS to make a business decision that the life of its driver is not worth the extra $30 it would have cost to equip its pre-1996 pkg cars with shoulder belts.When I sit in a P-500, I can lean forward and touch my face against the windshield. The P-500 was designed to allow the drivers head to go thru the windshield in the event of a head-on collision, so it really wont matter if if I'm wearing my lap belt or not--they will be scraping my brains off of the hood. I suppose its OK, the important thing here is for UPS to be able to document that I could recite my Ten Point Commentary before they bury me.

Last edited:

trickpony1

I suppose its OK, the important thing here is for UPS to be able to document that I could recite my Ten Point Commentary before they bury me.

.....and as they lower your casket into the grave a representative from the company will run up and throw a warning letter on top of your casket to document that you were properly reprimanded.

rod

Retired 22 years
Aw- the good old days. Back when the package cars didn't even have seat belts. I can remember a couple of times hanging on to the steering wheel for dear life after hitting a bump. Now that's when men were men:happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Failure to wear a seat belt is a terminable offense, period. It doesn't matter if you are going across town or just pulling a few feet from a loading dock as you never know who may be watching.

On that note, my on-car pulled me aside and went over the results of an on-road observation he conducted on me that I was totally unaware of; in fact, I jokingly asked him what car he was driving as he was not driving his own car. He laughed and said we have many cars but the point is that you never know when someone may be watching so just do the right thing all of the time and you will have nothing to worry about.

We have an air driver who "forgets" to put his seat belt on--it may be he is too busy talking on his cell phone to remember to put his seat belt on.

JustTired

free at last.......
On a somewhat related matter............has anyone ever noticed the sticker on the inside of the doors that says "do not operate this vehicle with the doors open"? Can you imagine having to drive around in the middle of summer with the doors closed? That Thanksgiving turkey would have nothing on you!

Seatbelts are probably the most safety-minded things in these vehicles. Their use should be a no-brainer. I will agree with soberups that the 3-point system should be mandatory in all UPS vehicles. That should also be a no-brainer. Need I say more?

Big Babooba

Back in the day when we weren't required to wear seatbelts(told by management that it slowed us down), I bumped a curb traveling at 5 MPH. I nearly went out the door. After that, I wear them all the time.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I hardly ever wore a seatbelt, maybe between areas or ride to and from the center!!! how stupid,and how lucky i was!!! my kids got me to wear it before the EMPIRE enforced it...I wear it all the time now!!!

raceanoncr

Personal choice or defective equipment .

Article 18. SAFETY AND HEALTH EQUIPMENT, ACCIDENTS AND REPORTS of the United Parcel Service National Master Agreement states under Section 1:

"The Employer shall not require employees to take out on the streets or highways any vehicle, or use any type of equipment that is not in a safe operating condition or equipped with the safety appliances prescribed by law."

In other words, no excuse if "defective equipment". NOBODY should take anything out that is safety defective. You WILL not be disciplined!

outamyway

You won't be fired if your a good looking woman driver here in Las Vegas. It's already happened once. She was caught flat out not wearing her seat belt and wasn't fired cause one of the district uppers wants to make her the poster child of UPS Vegas.

There have also been a lot of rumors about her sleeping around with drivers and sups. Then she ended up marrying an on road sup just a few months ago. She found out she was pregnant two months ago and decided to go on paternity leave one month ago. Yup, paternity leave at one month pregnant.

She also gets to pick her own route and change what ever she wants. I've watch it happen, seen her telling the dispatch sup what she wants and doesn't want.

Funny thing is, she was an off the street Christmas hire.

HazMatMan

While driving home this afternoon, noticed a 700 pull out of a driveway, stopped at the stopsign, then pulled out onto the road. The driver was not wearing the seatbelt.

Got me to thinking. What happens to a driver when the district safety sup is watching when you ride around without your seat belt.

The last contract I looked at would make it very tough for you to get your job back if they did fire the driver. And if it did go before the arbitrator, you would lose.

Why is it that drivers do not wear their seat belts.

d
Same reason they do not wear it in their personal car.

helenofcalifornia

I don't back the Hot Vegas Momma in getting special treatment, but...I will back her in going out on maternity level at two months. This job is physically demanding and some women have a harder time carrying babies than others. Two months might be a little early, but it's her perogative. If men could go on "maternity" leave at this stage, some of them would. Most of us wouldn't, but some would.