Section 1a Article 37

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
'giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee' Anyone ever use this in a grievance, ? Do time allowances change for the elderly and sickly?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
'giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee' Anyone ever use this in a grievance, ? Do time allowances change for the elderly and sickly?
Don't pay attention to time allowances.

They are MADE UP numbers that are not based in reality.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes, I have used it, and they dont know what to say or do. And nothing changes, so I'll just keep doing it. But I have seen older drivers leave because of the harrassment. ~ Aint happening here.

Hump dump and roll

Yes as a piggy back on a 9.5 grievance. Such as the company has failed to take into consideration the age and physical ability of so and so in its failure to relieve so and so of excessive overtime.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
There are No production standards recognized by your local union.
Yes, we have all heard this a million times, we all know the games UPS plays. The language is very clear, I just wonder contractually how this is enforced.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes, we have all heard this a million times, we all know the games UPS plays. The language is very clear, I just wonder contractually how this is enforced.
It is enforced by growing very thick skin and grieving every time they cross the line, both Art 37 issues of harassment and 9.5.
It's all about creating perceived liability with an extensive paper trail.
This can also be done by filing complaints with Dept of Labor.
So have you seen outcomes ?
I'm living the outcome.
After numerous grievances and a labor charge or two, I was paid $1200 and no longer "dispatch" daily according to their standards.
I average about 45 hrs a week.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

As a steward in the hub, I haven't had to use it in a grievance but I've used it to get management to back off on production harassment.

I've seen it work to get a 35+ year driver back at panel on the basis of discipline for age discrimination.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It is enforced by growing very thick skin and grieving every time they cross the line, both Art 37 issues of harassment and 9.5.

I'm living the outcome.
After numerous grievances and a labor charge or two, I was paid $1200 and no longer "dispatch" daily according to their standards.

"Intestinal fortitude" is the applicable term. No one is going to do it, for you.

Some members think it's the Local Unions job to take care of it.

Show them you have the guts to stand up for yourself.... And they will.

-Bug-

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

I'm living the outcome.

"Perceived [legal] liability" is one of the few things that can get UPS moving on stuff like this. If there's even perceived age discrimination, an EEOC charge can also help grease the skids.

The "gold standard" for a grievance like this involves two witness statements to support the grievant's version of events. This is next to impossible with a lot of the harassment/intimidation that goes on; a comment made by a supervisor in passing in the building or an on-car supervisor doing a production ride along.

That's why the recent Whole Foods "recording" case is so interesting; while it wasn't applicable to harassment per se, it granted workers the right to record an anti-union captive audience meeting in spite of the company's policy to the contrary. While I wouldn't recommend someone doing so, a recording like this is going to eventually surface.

I'm just curious if anyone is going to have the nuts to try and run with it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
"Perceived [legal] liability" is one of the few things that can get UPS moving on stuff like this. If there's even perceived age discrimination, an EEOC charge can also help grease the skids.

Getting the legal bill (for services) is a big motivating factor.

Things won't happen overnight.... But, they will happen.

-Bug-