Security attempting to confiscate my earbuds

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
We had a commisioned security guard at our building once.(licensed to carry firearms). They caught him and another guy shooting at critters in a big ditch on the back of ups property early one saturday morning. Residences back up to the UPS building, and a homeowner called the law. No more gun totin' guards at our building.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
jeez this really has nothing to do with whether ear buds are safe or not and should be allowed or not. the fact that the security guard asked for a pass makes it about ownership. so this is simply about blatantly disobeying a security guard and the possible ramifications of said disobedience. you can get fired for this. it has happened before to make an example.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
hey just sayin. in 28 years, I've seen security guards get laughed at, screamed at, get into a fight once and got employees fired more than once. you know this place, any excuse if you got a target on your back already and a lot of us had or do.

Returntosender

9E9B529D-FE42-4B89-827D-A7C5E5DAE951.jpeg

Box Ox

Must be super dangerous for the deaf people employed here.

Never met any at UPS. Wouldn’t be my first choice of deaf employment.

That they’re apparently working preloads doesn’t make them just as safe as everybody else unless they’ve been assigned to a safer work area such as small sort. Anybody would be fine wearing earplugs and a full gorilla mask there.

oldngray

nowhere special

That they’re apparently working preloads doesn’t make them just as safe as everybody else unless they’ve been assigned to a safer work area such as small sort. Anybody would be fine wearing earplugs and a full gorilla mask there.
I knew a couple of deaf guys who worked inside. They were pretty much tokens for diversity or handicapped rights. Pretty good workers but always knew they were untouchable if they screwed up.

The Range

In too deep

Multiple deaf people here sorting/unloading/loading. Maybe it's the water.

dudebro

Drivers shouldn’t be pulling trailers off doors without visually confirming no ones in there and the door is shut.....

This sounds good, but in the time it takes a feeder driver to make his/her way back to the cab, 5 loaders could have gone in and out of the trailer.

dudebro

If the OP has, in fact, been bringing his earbuds in and out of the building for some time then what changed?

Company policy or a guard that's on a power trip?

I would have stopped right there, called my supe and explained the situation.

It's not always a guard on a power trip. Security will have security sups from other buildings come and test the guard to make sure the guard follows clean in clean out. Then the guard can catch a bunch of flak for not saying anything. After this, sometimes the guard gets "fired", which means he/she just works other locations and not UPS for a few months, but although the guard still has a job, they might not have a ride...

dudebro

hey just sayin. in 28 years, I've seen security guards get laughed at, screamed at, get into a fight once and got employees fired more than once. you know this place, any excuse if you got a target on your back already and a lot of us had or do.

It can come down to the age old question: "Who did that? Good hourly or bad hourly?" If you have 15 absences, mostly on Mon and Fri, and 38 latenesses since January, mgmt might skip the recognition meeting with your BA and go straight for integrity.

trickpony1

This sounds good, but in the time it takes a feeder driver to make his/her way back to the cab, 5 loaders could have gone in and out of the trailer.

I know a feeder drive that actually had to close the trailer door and put a padlock on it. That was the only way to keep the PT supes and hub rats out while he walked out to his truck.

Pissssed them off. Oh well...

dudebro

I know a feeder drive that actually had to close the trailer door and put a padlock on it. That was the only way to keep the PT supes and hub rats out while he walked out to his truck.

Pissssed them off. Oh well...

Pfft. My crew was from Newark and Jersey City, which meant they always seemed to be able to pull bolt cutters and crowbars out of the angle irons up in the belts. I never knew where they came from.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It can come down to the age old question: "Who did that? Good hourly or bad hourly?" If you have 15 absences, mostly on Mon and Fri, and 38 latenesses since January, mgmt might skip the recognition meeting with your BA and go straight for integrity.
No one takes those sabotaged, nonsense time records seriously. :D

dudebro

No one takes those sabotaged, nonsense time records seriously. :D

Please, you think THAT nonsense will work? Long before it gets to that, I'm looking at the shop steward 5 minutes after start time and asking, "Do you see this? Where's Joey? Where is he?" By the time we get to the recognition meeting, the shop steward and I already agree on attendance. It's the one item that can't be defended really - if you don't show up to work, you must not want the job.