seeing disturbing things while at stops

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i'm in awe that any of you have gone into any customer's house, apt, etc.. i wont even carry a 150 pound pkg into grandma and grandpa's house. UPS's liability ends at the door, anything in that door is YOUR liability. I politely inform them that liability dictates i can not enter and then i will set the pkg in the door if they want, and say have a wonderful day

Let's turn this around. Suppose it is your Grandma and Grandpa Dupa's house and the 150 lb Power Chair from the Scooter Store is sitting by their front door because "UPS's liability ends at the door..." While you may be technically correct, are you really doing the right thing? Would it kill you to take the extra minute or so to bring it in to the living room?

I try to base my decision upon the situation, both at the delivery location and how the rest of my day looks. A little good will goes a long way, as does a little indifference.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
Wouldn't kill me at all, but breaking one of grandma's "priceless" 80 year collection of whatever would hurt like a MF. it's not the extra min's, UPS pays me by the hour, my kids are out of the house and wife works more hours then I, so i am in no hurry, im just not going to explain to my on car why her $3000 plate or whatever is on the floor.
Example: Had uptown run, great customer buys old building and renovates puts office upstairs rents downstairs to high-end home furnishings guy. on a day off my cover breaks something coming in front door and guy talks him into paying $200 for the piece.
I was appalled, came the next day set his items right inside the door and explained if i or my cover would be responsible for his store items they would no longer be carried through his landmined ($200-$1000 nicknacs) store. UPS policy is door to door, it's my policy now as well.

LiL"Comet"

What's terrible is to see dogs (any animal) that obviously not being feed. Came across 2 dogs on route I ran you could see every rib they had and were just very sick acting malnutrition. Pitiful!!! I started feeding the dogs every day when they would see my truck coming they got excited because they knew I was bringing them something. There was a business located directly behind the house the guys that worked seen what i was doing they also started feeding the dogs.. I came off that route but i hope they are still doing OK...??? I hate to see someone being mean to any kind animal

There is also a house I know where the customer has to have any where around 50 or more cats in a house. She said its her cats house she doesn't live there when her mother passed she brought her cats over there to live. She takes in cats from everywhere her poor mother has probably turned over in her grave over all those cats in her house.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Let's turn this around. Suppose it is your Grandma and Grandpa Dupa's house and the 150 lb Power Chair from the Scooter Store is sitting by their front door because "UPS's liability ends at the door..." While you may be technically correct, are you really doing the right thing? Would it kill you to take the extra minute or so to bring it in to the living room?

I try to base my decision upon the situation, both at the delivery location and how the rest of my day looks. A little good will goes a long way, as does a little indifference.

I will personally eye up the situation first. If I feel comfortable and don't think any wrong can be done then I will go ahead and "assist" the people by putting it further inside. But, if it is as Dupa says, a landmine field, then I will not. also during the winter people will invite me in while they get a check for a COD and I will not leave the front door if I step inside. Last thing I need is someone saying I either broke something in their house or that something came up missing after the UPS guy was there. And i will een tell people that is why I stand by the door. I will not be held liable for their lies.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What's terrible is to see dogs (any animal) that obviously not being feed. Came across 2 dogs on route I ran you could see every rib they had and were just very sick acting malnutrition. .

I have called Animal Control a few times on in-town customers who were obviously neglecting their pets. The Animal Control officer went out there and confiscated the pets and fined the owners.

Outside city limits, I had to take matters into my own hands. Animal Control has no jurisdiction there, and the Sheriff lacks the manpower to effectively monitor animal neglect cases. I once called a customer on the phone...anonymously...and told him that if he didnt start feeding his dog I was going to come by there and shoot it and put it out of its misery. I meant it too, the dog would have been better off dead and it would have broken my heart to do so but I wont let an animal suffer. The guy wound up giving the dog away, but in the interim I noticed he was doing a better job of feeding and watering the animal.

People who buy dogs and chain them to a tree really piss me off. As I type this there is a poodle laying on my feet and a rescued Basset Hound on the couch next to me. He just farted. I love him anyway.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I watch the Animal Planet with the Animal Cops shows. I never could understand how families can move and leave their dog tied up with no food or water and just leave. Idiots!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I saw a white doberman, I believe called Fawn, and his ribs were all he had. And I could count every one of them, clearly. Somehow they got rescued, along with a red and a brown and 6 pups. If the judge gives them back, there will be serious public objection to his ability to judge. And Ill take a day off to protest that ruling.
I agree totally with soberups.
It made my skin crawl. If you cant take care of it, give it to someone who can. Euthanasia would be better than starving to death. Dogs, unlike people cannot look out for themselves, for anyone wanting to say we have people starving in USA.

scoobypanda

My Grandma or Grandpa can call me and I will go over to move their package wherever they want it. I don't expect, nor do I want a stranger(UPS driver) in my grandparents' home. Put package down in doorway, slide it in far enough to close the door, say thanks and good-bye. Going into customers' homes is an unnecessary risk with little or no benefit.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My Grandma or Grandpa can call me and I will go over to move their package wherever they want it. I don't expect, nor do I want a stranger(UPS driver) in my grandparents' home. Put package down in doorway, slide it in far enough to close the door, say thanks and good-bye. Going into customers' homes is an unnecessary risk with little or no benefit.

Generally speaking I agree with you, but if I have 200 lbs of liquid nourishment cans loaded on my handtruck, and the 75 yr old customer comes to the door wheeling their feeding tube around, I'm going to roll the stuff inside for them. There is usually a way to find a middle ground between legitimate liability concerns and decent customer service.

And as far as being a "stranger" goes...I have been on my route for 14 years. To a customer who sees me on a regular basis, I am anything but a stranger.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I made a delivery the other day at 1045 and i had the budweiser in hand.jk

But come on no one here has ever gone up a long driveway and got to the big picture window and seen anyone having sex right there.

I went home and tryed that position but my wife was as limber.

In 1998 I saw Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter skipping down the street one morning after a sleep over at Alex's apartment. I had to skip lunch that day because I couldn't stomach it.

ZEB

30 year guy
Delivered to the Autopsy room at the local medical school........doggie do do doesn't really bother me after that

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There is also a house I know where the customer has to have any where around 50 or more cats in a house. She said its her cats house she doesn't live there when her mother passed she brought her cats over there to live. She takes in cats from everywhere her poor mother has probably turned over in her grave over all those cats in her house.
Comet, I would be concerned over this. Horders are worse than the average neglectful person, and will use every excuse in the book to justify their need to keep their animals. I think I would report this as a concern to the county health dep't and animal control. Most people would understand the concern and if are operating above reproach would have no problem with an inspection.

I have reported neglect and would again if the need arose. Any person that would abuse or neglect an animal is the lowest form of life and does not deserve the space they occupy.

LiL"Comet"

Comet, I would be concerned over this. Horders are worse than the average neglectful person, and will use every excuse in the book to justify their need to keep their animals. I think I would report this as a concern to the county health dep't and animal control. Most people would understand the concern and if are operating above reproach would have no problem with an inspection.
I have reported neglect and would again if the need arose. Any person that would abuse or neglect an animal is the lowest form of life and does not deserve the space they occupy.

Yes!!!! I couldn't agree w/ you more.....
I did actually report the dogs, I happened to be at lunch and the animal control officer was there gave him the address to go by and contact the people. He did go by and give the owner I believe 5 days to provide adequate food and shelter for the dogs. All of this transpired about 2 weeks before I came off that route, I'm not sure how it all ended up because its at a location where I wouldn't go in my personal vehicle (really bad part of town and the people would see me) and the only way I noticed the dogs I started del. to a company that you can see there property from. They probably had to have put 2 & 2 together and figure out I was the one who called. I hope they are doing well or they have been taken away and at least given the chance to get adopted into a loving home.:love: I Luv animals of all kinds except spiders :scared:

browniehound

I have worked grave-yard before and stopped a Circle K to get a beer. You funny looks at 6am standing in line with a beer and everyone else has coffee.

Its like that everyday in Vegas!

I still can't get over the fact the everything never closes and you can buy a beer at 5 am in one bar, leave and walk out with it and go to another bar like you purchased a cup of coffee!

barnyard

KTM rider
I delivered to a rural stop, long driveway at the end of a dead end road, no neighbors in sight. Goats running loose, ducks, geese, peafowl, typical rundown, 'trying to make it anyway we can' farm. Set the package inside the door and hear what sounded like a dog bawling behind me. By my package car, tied to a dog lead was a bear cub. It was thin, obviously hungry and looked very flea bitten. I gave it my bag of dog treats and called the DNR and sheriff.

The bear was taken away (turned out it was 2 years old and weighed less than 100 lbs) and the guy was sentenced to county jail for animal cruelty.

Everytime it is in the paper, I receive my credit as "investigation resulting from an anonymous tip."

TB