Seems the Ron Paul Contingent Did Well Last Night

brett636

How, pray tell, is Ron Paul "the Republican's version of Walter Mondale" ?

That statement makes absolutely no sense to me.

I'm having a hard time triangulating Ron Paul with Republicans with Mondale.

Illuminate me.

Its simple really. Walter Mondale lost 49 of 50 states to Ronald Reagan. To Mondale's credit he did survive the primary process, but its obvious that Ron Paul is nationally just as much of a loser as Walter Mondale was. I know wkmac really hates me for pointing this out which is why he keeps trying to change the subject back to Romney.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think, and hope, we will be seeing Rand carrying the banner.
I think he is more palatable to the Republican old guard and the the Tea Party at the same time.
Rand fully believes in reducing government spending.

wkmac

Seems to me that being palatable to the old guard is what has gotten the GOP to where they are right now. Doesn't appear to me to be working either.

As to Rand being a back bencher, I can see where one could make that claim and be justified but Rand is not his father either. I wouldn't be too quick to take anything off the table.

The midterm elections in 2014' will be a barometer as to where the voting public's head is and like any politician, once the fingers go into the wind all bets are off.

brett636

Seems to me that being palatable to the old guard is what has gotten the GOP to where they are right now. Doesn't appear to me to be working either.

As to Rand being a back bencher, I can see where one could make that claim and be justified but Rand is not his father either. I wouldn't be too quick to take anything off the table.

The midterm elections in 2014' will be a barometer as to where the voting public's head is and like any politician, once the fingers go into the wind all bets are off.

What brought the GOP to where it is today is its lack of motivation to go bold with its candidates. Bob Dole, John McCain, and Mitt Romney were all fine men, but they were milk toast when it came to their stance on political issues. They didn't want to upset anyone so they tried to be more like their opponent in hopes they would draw in some voters from the other side. The problem with that is all it did was cause their opponent's supporters to laugh, and their own base to abandon them. Mitt Romney earned millions less votes than his failure of a predecessor because he just wasn't the bold candidate many of us were hoping for. When the GOP does go bold they can win landslide elections like they did with Ronald Reagan. The GOP establishment did not like Ronald Reagan and fought tooth and nail to stop him. When Ronny finally won the primary the democrats were ecstatic because nobody felt he had a chance to beat Carter. Well so much for that theory. I like Rand Paul, but I also like a whole host of other Presidential hopefuls on the GOP side. My fear is that by the next election this country will have gone so far down the tubes that no man will be able to turn it around. I guess we will see what 2016 brings, but after this last election I do question the American people's resolve to support the founding principles that brought this country to greatness in the first place.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
I think, and hope, we will be seeing Rand carrying the banner.
I think he is more palatable to the Republican old guard and the the Tea Party at the same time.
Rand fully believes in reducing government spending.

Rand Paul is the face of the Tea Party. Please nominate him in 2016.

wkmac

What brought the GOP to where it is today is its lack of motivation to go bold with its candidates. Bob Dole, John McCain, and Mitt Romney were all fine men, but they were milk toast when it came to their stance on political issues.

You'll get no argument from me on that point. Nicely said.

brett636

Fine men?

Yes, that designation is usually given to people who have fought and or suffered greatly for the service of their country(Bob Dole, John McCain), or someone who spends a good part of their free time trying to figure out how to give away their fortune to benefit their fellow man(Mitt Romney). I suppose in your convoluted mind these accomplishments mean nothing, but I can't say I didn't expect that from you. :)