Self-driving trucks have been hauling loads for UPS between Phoenix and Tucson since May

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Self-driving trucks have been hauling loads for UPS between Phoenix and Tucson since May - 12 News

It would appear Arizona is further cementing itself as ground zero for the testing of self-driving vehicles.

TuSimple, a San Diego-based self-driving truck company that operates its autonomous trucks out of Tucson, has been hauling loads for UPS between Phoenix and Tucson since May. The tests, a company spokesperson told 12 News, are going "very well."

The company said it started making non-autonomous deliveries back in March for UPS as a way to map out routes, collect data, and learn the "UPS process." Daily autonomous runs began in May between Tucson and Phoenix with a driver and an engineer in the truck.

rod

Retired 22 years
I- 10 between Tucson and Phoenix is flat and straight for the most part. I'm sure once they get close to Phoenix or Tucson a human takes over because by then traffic is NUTS.

Packmule

I- 10 between Tucson and Phoenix is flat and straight for the most part. I'm sure once they get close to Phoenix or Tucson a human takes over because by then traffic is NUTS.
I agree. Traffic is crazy around either end. Still, if I weren’t retired I’d think twice about going into feeders anymore. Think they’re a long ways off from figuring out how to do driverless PC delivery however.