Self Managed Account

beentheredonethat

Also one last point. When you look at Netflix, it has a PE of 172. It has a market cap of 40 Billion. Compare that to UPS, it has a PE of 29.34 and a market cap of 90 Billion. Do you really think Netflix is worth a little less then half of UPS? Disney which owns ABC\ESPN\Pixar\Marvel etc has a PE of 23.7 and a market cap of 186 Billion, is Netflix worth more then 25% of Disney? Keep in mind, in the short term, anything can happen. It's possible it could do quite well for short term. In long term there's a chance it will do well too, but a much bigger chance that people will switch to something different or to a competitor. I know for myself I've been trying to convince my wife to drop Netflix and only use Amazon Prime for video streaming. I think once my son is off to college we will and probably drop satellite as well and pick up HULU Plus. I was hoping the company AEREO would have won their lawsuit for over the air signals via the internet for your local company. To me, for SMA, I will invest in a handful of what I consider high quality companies that will endure a downturn. BRK.B is one "stock" I have. Mostly though, I have index funds or ETF funds to spread the risk among multiple companies.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's too risky in my opinion. It seems very similar to the bankrupt 'blockbuster' that was a very high flying company back in the 90s. As it is amazon offers a similar service. What barrier is their to entry? Another company can offer the same service if they start with enough money.

I asked my son for his advice and he also mentioned Blockbuster.

brown metal coffin

Either way if you are in the 401k plan; you will reap the benefit of the Netflix split because it is in the S&P Equity index fund in the amount of 1966 shares. Even if you don't purchase some shares on the side you will still have some skin in the game.