Seniority doesnt matter

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
giphy.gif

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy
There are zero rights to particular preload jobs. If there's a position list up, it's so little Billy will know where to go when he stumbles in high as a kite.

That is not the case at my location.
I have won grievance for the right to preferred jobs on the preload.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Lol. Not for me. I cant preload if my life depended on it. I understand that UPS doesnt require alot of thinking, but preloading is a little past my attention span and brain capacity. I got 28 misloads last time i tried to preload. I felt guilty when they sent me home afterwards because i knew i just made a drivers day go from 8 hours to 12 hours. It is what it is, at least im being honest lol. I have a wife but i think UPS is the last place im gonna go to if im looking for female companionship to say the least lmao. Its a sausage fest over here at my ceneter.

Is she hot?

The Range

In too deep
That is not the case at my location.
I have won grievance for the right to preferred jobs on the preload.

Was that you (New England)? Preferred jobs for part-timers are outlined in the master and local (art 55.2). The company does not want to abide and the union doesn't care (typically) as you're part-time. You might need to put in a lot of effort to get this list up. I would not settle for an under the table agreement that you are a special case who chooses x job. The union and company will try to make deals on a case by case basis but they will not honor that agreement when it matters. You have a right to a preferred job via bid to lock it in, just like full-timers. You want this bid locked in for reasons obvious. For example, an extra layer of protection when you grieve other pertinent issues and end up on the retaliatory pain-train. "Work as directed" translated into English literally means boot licker.

Last edited:

OrionIsDaddy

Ugh. Yea they send all these people with lower seniority home before me or other high seniority emplyees. I guess i have to file then. I just see it affecting my second job which worries me.

Haha ya file a grievance about getting more work than lower seniority guys. Your steward will love that

The Range

In too deep
Haha ya file a grievance about getting more work than lower seniority guys. Your steward will love that

Cutting by seniority is important. At the least, cutting by seniority in your classification and/or work assignment. Without it, you will be dissuaded from filing grievances while brown-nosers will be the first out the door. Employee A is part-time and files grievances. Employee B is part-time and doesn't file grievances. Employee A is bounced around for 8 hours a shift in spite of his second job. Employee B is at home getting high after working 3.5 hours. Is that how you think a union should function? The VLO and by extension end of shift cuts should be based on seniority. Call your BA and figure out what the past practice is on the matter.

Last edited:

OrionIsDaddy

Cutting by seniority is important. At the least, cutting by seniority in your classification and/or work assignment. Without it, you will be dissuaded from filing grievances while brown-nosers will be the first out the door. Employee A is part-time and files grievances. Employee B is part-time and doesn't file grievances. Employee A is bounced around for 8 hours a shift in spite of his second job. Employee B is at home getting high after working 3.5 hours. Is that how you think a union should function? The VLO and by extension end of shift cuts should be based on seniority. Call your BA and figure out what the past practice is on the matter.

Could just as easily start at the bottom of the seniority list when making layoffs. All the newbs go home first. The contract gives people with higher seniority the right to work, not the right not to work

Consistency is key when doing layoffs I agree I just dont see what you'd file on if someone got sent home before you.

The Range

In too deep
Could just as easily start at the bottom of the seniority list when making layoffs. All the newbs go home first. The contract gives people with higher seniority the right to work, not the right not to work

Consistency is key when doing layoffs I agree I just dont see what you'd file on if someone got sent home before you.

Supplements like Atlantic have general "VLO" language. For instance, voluntary layoffs in this local are distributed from top to bottom. As such, end of shift cuts are offered from the top down and forced from the bottom up (as it should be). The grey area here is should it be building wide, by classification, or work assignment. The statement "seniority = the right to work, not the right not to work" is untrue. To answer your question.. file on past practice if you have no specific language but it's an established practice confirmed by your local or own eyes.

For the reasons I mentioned above (and more), it is critical to protect and expand "in all other cases, seniority rules" language. Management is retaliatory towards all but in particular part-timers who file. They are easy targets as individuals. I've witnessed them break people by forcing them into a corner via extended hours. In essence "you stop filing grievances and we will let you get to that other part-time job, or you continue filing and we will squeeze you out by working you full-time hours". A layer of protection is necessary if you expect part-timers to participate.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

I hear this a lot and wonder where it says that in your contract? Mine does not say that at all and grievances have been filed and won many times because of it. I'm not saying your language is the same but I would like to see where it says that.

You'd file on not following seniority.

Last edited:

km3

The contract gives people with higher seniority the right to work, not the right not to work

This is what I've been told as well.

The statement "seniority = the right to work, not the right not to work" is untrue.

It is here. I've seen them keep a high seniority (but not the highest) guy because they were mad at him. Let everybody lower and higher go. Steward said they can basically cut who they want, and that seniority only comes into play when you're cut but somebody with less seniority is still on the clock (and you want those hours). He was pretty angry to hear that. Maybe in that kind of scenario, you could argue harassment. But not seniority.

If you want to leave early here, you gotta get creative. Make yourself useless near the end of the night (or the entire night), grieve everything after sups start sending people home, going to the bathroom every 20 minutes, etc.. I can only imagine the headache this must cause for the Business Agent, but if he doesn't want to fight for seniority employees to have the right to leave...I don't know what else to say...

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I hear this a lot and wonder where it says that in your contract? Mine does not say that at all and grievances have been filed and won many times because of it. I'm not saying your language is the same but I would like to see where it says that.

You'd file on not following seniority.
It doesn't actually say it at all. That whole right not to work line is just something they say to get you to go away. Seniority should be the deciding factor in who goes home or who gets extra work, etc.

The OP states there is a preferred job list posted. That is not the job assignment list for the day. Us old timers never had the preferred list thing, so perhaps most of them don't know it's actually in the contract now. Certain skilled part time jobs are now bid and a preferred job list is maintained, and seniority dictates who does those jobs. Don't let your supervisor or the knuckleheads in the BC that don't know any better tell you otherwise. You do have to work as instructed in the meantime, but file the grievance!

Indecisi0n

It doesn't actually say it at all. That whole right not to work line is just something they say to get you to go away. Seniority should be the deciding factor in who goes home or who gets extra work, etc.

The OP states there is a preferred job list posted. That is not the job assignment list for the day. Us old timers never had the preferred list thing, so perhaps most of them don't know it's actually in the contract now. Certain skilled part time jobs are now bid and a preferred job list is maintained, and seniority dictates who does those jobs. Don't let your supervisor or the knuckleheads in the BC that don't know any better tell you otherwise. You do have to work as instructed in the meantime, but file the grievance!
Seniority rules for work, not to go home. If you want to say home call out or find a different job.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
False. Show me in the contract where it states that.
Well, it's actually Article 3, Section 11. "The company recognizes that the principles of seniority will be given prime consideration in the everyday operation of the business." This article was used time, and time again in my building when allowing people to go home. As such, management would walk up and down the line with the seniority list in their hand asking in seniority order who would like to go home. If it didn't happen where you are, it just wasn't fought for.

unloady

False. Show me in the contract where it states that.
Well, it's actually Article 3, Section 11. "The company recognizes that the principles of seniority will be given prime consideration in the everyday operation of the business." This article was used time, and time again in my building when allowing people to go home. As such, management would walk up and down the line with the seniority list in their hand asking in seniority order who would like to go home. If it didn't happen where you are, it just wasn't fought for.

This. It happens EVERY single day. My supervisors know i have to leave at 8am at the lastest. Today they sent 3 of the new guys home before break. Unload sup said i could leave once i finished my trailer its 7:15. Im about to leave and my FT sup sent me to small sort she said seniority only gives you the right to work. I worked until about 7:50 and caugh my old supervisor who does a different job in management that doesnt deal with operations and since we have a decent relationship he sent me home. Our steward is weak. Both of them actually.

Indecisi0n

It was brought to a hearing because some old bitter ass driver interpreted like that as well and guess what, he lost. Again , I am all for seniority but it's not to go home.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
It was brought to a hearing because some old bitter ass driver interpreted like that as well and guess what, he lost. Again , I am all for seniority but it's not to go home.
It's been won here. You're entitled to your opinion on the language, but that doesn't change the ruling or the fact that it is being used for instances of going home.

542thruNthru

It's been won here. You're entitled to your opinion on the language, but that doesn't change the ruling or the fact that it is being used for instances of going home.

Happens here all the time. Especially in PreLoad. Loaders have other jobs and don't want to be forced to stay and lose that job just because some PT sup feels like showing he's the boss and send others home first.