Seniority over 22.4

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
The Union Local made that decision. There were several Union members that grieved it over the years and the Union's answer was you must have a years safe driving in the package car classification to bid a Feeder job. Feeders rule in my Local.
Where is the off the street’s safe driving for one year in package?

PT Car Washer

Where is the off the streets safe driving for one year in package?
Off the street have to meet other minimum requirements like 2 or 3 years safe driving tractor trailer in all weather conditions. Not sure of all of the requirements. They don't hire just anybody but looking at the busted up tractors and trailers that get dragged in I wonder. Common excuse is they fell asleep.

Yeet

Off the street have to meet other minimum requirements like 2 or 3 years safe driving tractor trailer in all weather conditions. Not sure of all of the requirements. They don't hire just anybody but looking at the busted up tractors and trailers that get dragged in I wonder. Common excuse is they fell asleep.
I will say from experience. The PT guys we have brought up have more dedication to the company and tend to be less hard headed. They are grateful for the opportunity because they had to claw and scrape to get there. The off the streets are some of the most entitled SOB’s I’ve ever encountered. Give me a hub rat over a 10 year driver with another outfit any day.

PT Car Washer

Where is the off the street’s safe driving for one year in package?
Had a Feeder driver out of Lenexa on his way to Omaha. Straight up I 29 but ended up on 35 North. Ended up at our building wanting to know what door to spot. Gave him fuel and a map and told him which way West was.

PT Car Washer

I will say from experience. The PT guys we have brought up have more dedication to the company and tend to be less hard headed. They are grateful for the opportunity because they had to claw and scrape to get there. The off the streets are some of the most entitled SOB’s I’ve ever encountered. Give me a hub rat over a 10 year driver with another outfit.
We have had those guys as Seasonal package car during Peak. All they want to do is drive the truck. Don't touch no loads. They quit after the first day.

Yeet

Had a Feeder driver out of Lenexa on his way to Omaha. Straight up I 29 but ended up on 35 North. Ended up at our building wanting to know what door to spot. Gave him fuel and a map and told him which way West was.
And we had an off the street get arrested in the tractor for swerving and almost hitting a car hauler. He was belligerent to the cop and ended up getting arrested for a DUI. If we are generalizing here.

Yeet

I think I heard that story.
Bottom line. The guy that worked in the hub for decades has more respect for the position and generally knows how the game is played. The off the street comes in acting like they are owed something.

PT Car Washer

Bottom line. The guy that worked in the hub for decades has more respect for the position and generally knows how the game is played. The off the street comes in acting like they are owed something.
I agree but I don't write the rules. I know a lot of guys that would have gone FT if they could go into Feeders instead of working 15 years in package car first. One gal went through truck driving school on her own Dime and still lost her grievance.

Yeet

I agree but I don't write the rules. I know a lot of guys that would have gone FT if they could go into Feeders instead of working 15 years in package car first. One gal went through truck driving school on her own Dime and still lost her grievance.
That’s where I have a problem. FT seniority trumps PT every time. No problem with that. But you give your PT guys a chance before you pull in off the street. If they don’t make the cut, they don’t make it. The job isn’t for everyone but you need to exhaust both the FT and PT intent list before you hire off the street. End tirade.

PT Car Washer

That’s where I have a problem. FT seniority trumps PT every time. No problem with that. But you give your PT guys a chance before you pull in off the street. If they don’t make the cut, they don’t make it. The job isn’t for everyone but you need to exhaust both the FT and PT intent list before you hire off the street. End tirade.
With the low PT wages anyone qualified could get a job somewhere else. Why work at minimum wages for a few years to get a chance at a FT driving job when you can walk in off the street and start working. We are having a terrible time hiring FT mechanics because of the low starting wage and 4 year progression for a fully qualified mechanic with his own tools.

Yeet

With the low PT wages anyone qualified could get a job somewhere else. Why work at minimum wages for a few years to get a chance at a FT driving job when you can walk in off the street and start working. We are having a terrible time hiring FT mechanics because of the low starting wage and 4 year progression for a fully qualified mechanic with his own tools.
Mechanics in my local have a 2 year top out and they make more an hour than I do. PT wages are now more than double when I started in 2002 with full health benefits. The problem isn’t the pay.

PT Car Washer

It has been an employers market for so many years where the company dictates how much you will make and when you will work. Hopefully the Unions can start taking back some of the concessions over the years. Starting with the 4 year progression. It was 90 days when I started.

PT Car Washer

Mechanics in my local have a 2 year top out and they make more an hour than I do. PT wages are now more than double when I started in 2002 with full health benefits. The problem isn’t the pay.
That is the biggest problem. You compare when you started in 2002 and I compare when I started in 1977. We lost a lot of ground in those 25 years.

Yeet

That is the biggest problem. You compare when you started in 2002 and I compare when I started in 1977. We lost a lot of ground in those 25 years.
Starting wage never changed from the 80’s until around 2010. Now it has more than doubled.

PT Car Washer

Starting wage never changed from the 80’s until around 2010. Now it has more than doubled.
Not quite doubled. More like went from $10/hr to $15 and in some locations more. I see what used to be minimum wage fast food jobs advertising at similar wages with more hours available. I never thought I would see a UPS Teamster Union job at McDonald wages.

Yeet

Not quite doubled. More like went from $10/hr to $15 and in some locations more. I see what used to be minimum wage fast food jobs advertising at similar wages with more hours available. I never thought I would see a UPS Teamster Union job at McDonald wages.
You won’t get an argument from me there. Our hub workers deserve a better wage than a burger flipper. $8.50 when I started and now I’m hearing Kentucky and Illinois are starting at $20+ and they still can’t find candidates. I don’t get it.