Seniority

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
I dont get the hostility, I mean I do, its UPS. The whole company is like this every single one of us. But it doesn't have to be
I’m most definitely not being hostile, I’m just trying to get a full understanding of the situation before I make any suggestions.

StretchNutz

Preload Slave
Correct me if I’m wrong.

You’re the best and most versatile worker on your shift and the company is getting an excellent effort and result from you on a daily basis. You’re coworker who is senior to you isn’t as good at every position and is getting given a position that he can perform almost as well as you.

You’re rep is a wasted cause.

When you contacted “The Teamsters” your grievance was resolved in a positive manner.

Anything I missed?
Even though it sounds really condescending... yeah thats a pretty accurate painting of the picture

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
alright dude UPSer to UPSer i'm gonna cut the :censored2: and be real here. It's not that he gets easier work for seniority thats fine IF seniority is a thing, whats irking me is i'm continually getting punished because i'm a good preloader. I get the most volume, the most BS, and i'm still making :censored2: money. BUT I do hold seniority over 80% of the sort but I get the worst spots because the Supe knows I can handle it and others cant and its really starting to upset me. This guy is only a year above me and he gets to just spa all day and he cant load half as fast as I can.
Well whatever it says i've been with UPS for 3 years. I have no reason to fight with you man and quite frankly dont have the time to
Work slower,put in for a different position on the sort

StretchNutz

Preload Slave
I’m most definitely not being hostile, I’m just trying to get a full understanding of the situation before I make any suggestions.
I think I get what you're trying to tell me.... it could definitely be worse and I am grateful for this job but :censored2: man... it's so infuriating at times

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
I've been really considering this lately... start working like all the people around me. Its like watching The Walking Dead watch some of these people load trucks
I havent been there as long as yo,u but the only reward you get for busting ass is extra work.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
I think I get what you're trying to tell me.... it could definitely be worse and I am grateful for this job but :censored2: man... it's so infuriating at times

It is most certainly infuriating at times. Things could always be worse.

Numerous users on here could help you with specific contract language if you listed what supplemental contract your covered under. Contracts and practices vary wildly depending on where you are located

Working your but off is only going to get you or someone around you hurt. @Swanson is correct that if you continue setting a high bar your management team is only going to reward you by giving you more work. You want to show up on every report somewhere in the middle. Don’t be the worst, don’t be the best. It’s a marathon not a sprint.

How hard or poorly someone is working around you is really only your concern if you are being negatively impacted physically. To the point that you think you may be injured. Otherwise seriously MYOB.

If your steward is as bad as you say maybe you should inquire about running.

If you had a positive outcome by contacting your local directly then perhaps you should start attempting to become more involved with your local. Attend meetings etc.

Post less lurk more on here. Learn how the grievance procedure works in your area. There is a ton of good people on here that can and will provide you with good information. There are also a ton of :censored2: posters on here. You know who you are. 😏

JustDeliverIt

@StretchNutz

First off, kudos for your parking lot grievance. There was something wrong, based on the details you gave, and you handled it when mangament wouldn't. Whatever contract language you used to settle it I'm glad it worked out for you.

This situation is much different, filing like @542thruNthru said probably won't do much for you. Management has the right to run the operation as they see fit in accordance with the contract. As agravating as it is that this guy is somewhere easy, it's not a violation. Your best bet if you are looking to move is to get on a preferred jobs list. Now again, that doesn't mean you can bump someone with less seniority than you that has already filled the position. It makes you eligible for the next available one, at least that how it worked on my preload. As others have said, each building and supplemental language is different.

Lastly, don't work slower, work safer. Not sure what numbers your pulling, but if you go from loading 250/hr to 150/hr I've seen guys brought in for sabotaging the operation when they get pissed and announce it. A gradual, more deliberate loading style will be better on your body and get your desired results without outright tanking causing other issues for you. All the safety methods they teach you, make sure you use them. A package needs tape, tape it up. Scan every package and load each one right away, no stacking at all. The list can go on, but you should get the point. Most everyone skips something, start doing it 100% by the book and you should get the results you want without screwing yourself.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
@StretchNutz

First off, kudos for your parking lot grievance. There was something wrong, based on the details you gave, and you handled it when mangament wouldn't. Whatever contract language you used to settle it I'm glad it worked out for you.

This situation is much different, filing like @542thruNthru said probably won't do much for you. Management has the right to run the operation as they see fit in accordance with the contract. As agravating as it is that this guy is somewhere easy, it's not a violation. Your best bet if you are looking to move is to get on a preferred jobs list. Now again, that doesn't mean you can bump someone with less seniority than you that has already filled the position. It makes you eligible for the next available one, at least that how it worked on my preload. As others have said, each building and supplemental language is different.

Lastly, don't work slower, work safer. Not sure what numbers your pulling, but if you go from loading 250/hr to 150/hr I've seen guys brought in for sabotaging the operation when they get pissed and announce it. A gradual, more deliberate loading style will be better on your body and get your desired results without outright tanking causing other issues for you. All the safety methods they teach you, make sure you use them. A package needs tape, tape it up. Scan every package and load each one right away, no stacking at all. The list can go on, but you should get the point. Most everyone skips something, start doing it 100% by the book and you should get the results you want without screwing yourself.
My. Back. Hurts.

Re-Raise

I believe Justdeliver nailed it.

It can be very frustrating when management seems to take advantage of their good workers and baby the sloths and whiners. UPS does this all the time. It is even more obvious in the driver position. It helped me to think of it like a coach who expects more from his better players. It may not be fair, but I understand why it happens.

All you can do is control yourself..work safely and at a reasonable pace. If a bid opens for a preferred position, take it.

I don’t know why most of the responses were negative, I would much rather have a preload full of people who were good at the job, than people they had to hide in the easiest spots.