Senority from pkg to feeders

Johney

Some areas dovetail. In my local x amount of packages years translates to x amount of feeder years. Lots of guys who have worked feeders a long time hate it when old package drivers come in and jump them in seniority.
Here this would be a major issue. You would be alienated in the feeder dept. Some would say who cares right? Sorry but here in feeders you need help for the first six month's or more from your fellow feeder drivers,you don't want to be that guy/gal.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
sorry if this question has already been answered but it depends what it says in your contract.

here in the west the vacations are picked by building seniority. does not matter if they just came over from package.

when a package driver comes over to feeder, he or she goes to the bottom of feeder seniority UNTIL the new bid season. then they select a job according to their building seniority. that is why so many of those guys wait until winter is over, ha ha.

the reason i mention building seniority is because some drivers come here through transfers and they did not follow work. they don't dovetail in.

once again, it depends what your contract says. I am speaking of the Western Conference. yours may have a different rule on this.

Luke Thighrocker

It is here. Sorry, if you feel triggered.

How's the swamp ass?
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1470010718.290133.jpg

By The Book

If you are talking about people with the same job then building seniority kicks in

So two PT bidding on a porter join the one with higher building gets it

No annual bids here , it's your job until you decide to leave it or ups gets rid of it
I was saying that a part time employees building seniority is not only beneficial in picking vacations but also helps them in the bidding process to become a full time employee...no? My comment about annual bids is only about feeders. When a new feeder driver enters feeders they are usually at the bottom of the feeder list. Then when the annual feeder bids come out in spring, the new feeder driver can exercise his/her seniority and bump a junior feeder driver from their building, and perhaps get a day run.

By The Book

Here this would be a major issue. You would be alienated in the feeder dept. Some would say who cares right? Sorry but here in feeders you need help for the first six month's or more from your fellow feeder drivers,you don't want to be that guy/gal.
If it's contractual then there's not much the lower seniority feeder drivers can do. So you expect all new feeder drivers to keep their spot on the list and not be able to use their seniority?

jaker

trolling
I was saying that a part time employees building seniority is not only beneficial in picking vacations but also helps them in the bidding process to become a full time employee...no? My comment about annual bids is only about feeders. When a new feeder driver enters feeders they are usually at the bottom of the feeder list. Then when the annual feeder bids come out in spring, the new feeder driver can exercise his/her seniority and bump a junior feeder driver from their building, and perhaps get a day run.
PT to FT goes by company seniority not building and feeder I can't answer that one

but I don't know how feeder does it here but will find out soon

Luke Thighrocker

If it's contractual then there's not much the lower seniority feeder drivers can do. So you expect all new feeder drivers to keep their spot on the list and not be able to use their seniority?

He does and, his supplement provides language to validate such notion.

I don't agree with it but, it works for him.

What works for him....

He's hunky dory with what works for him. Nevermind the Teamsters that paved the way. He doesn't owe them anything. He's worried about getting bumped.

(Am I using the term "bump" correctly here, @What'dyabringmetoday???)

Cementups

Box Monkey
So it wouldn't bother you to have a part-timer with more company time decide to go full time after say 25 years or so and bump you off your run?

That wouldn't happen. The discussion was about full timers changing classification. You are talking about a completely different thing. A PTer moving to FT starts at the bottom of the FT list.

If a 25 year PTer decides to go to feeders and become full time then he instantly goes to the bottom of the FT list. But if I would go from package car with my 15 years FT (23 years total) into feeders, I get dropped into the seniority line amongst all the other FT feeder driver, in my case 75/250ish. But some areas, apparently yours, will take a guy like me and put him at the bottom of the feeder list in 250/250 even though the guy in 249/250 may only have 3 months of FT seniority. To me, that's not right.

What's the point of building seniority if I can't use it to my advantage? The only people who think otherwise are people who don't have seniority and think they are getting screwed.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That wouldn't happen. The discussion was about full timers changing classification. You are talking about a completely different thing. A PTer moving to FT starts at the bottom of the FT list.

If a 25 year PTer decides to go to feeders and become full time then he instantly goes to the bottom of the FT list. But if I would go from package car with my 15 years FT (23 years total) into feeders, I get dropped into the seniority line amongst all the other FT feeder driver, in my case 75/250ish. But some areas, apparently yours, will take a guy like me and put him at the bottom of the feeder list in 250/250 even though the guy in 249/250 may only have 3 months of FT seniority. To me, that's not right.

What's the point of building seniority if I can't use it to my advantage? The only people who think otherwise are people who don't have seniority and think they are getting screwed.
The saysayers who think it's not fair that a 30 year pkg guy gets to dovetail into feeder are the guys who think that would open the floodgates for everybody to dovetail in and that's not going to happen....there wouldn't be this mass exodus from pkg. no matter how "easy" people want to portray feeder there will be folks who will never want to work the wierd hours (even "day" work doesn't mean 8am to 6pm) or do they want to deal with the large equipments or with the freeway or city driving with that large equipment. IMO the whiners are the ones who don't want to loose their "place" on the seniority list which is a pretty weak argument

Cementups

Box Monkey
The saysayers who think it's not fair that a 30 year pkg guy gets to dovetail into feeder are the guys who think that would open the floodgates for everybody to dovetail in and that's not going to happen....there wouldn't be this mass exodus from pkg. no matter how "easy" people want to portray feeder there will be folks who will never want to work the wierd hours (even "day" work doesn't mean 8am to 6pm) or do they want to deal with the large equipments or with the freeway or city driving with that large equipment. IMO the whiners are the ones who don't want to loose their "place" on the seniority list which is a pretty weak argument

I won't lie, the only reason I'm not in feeders yet is mostly because I want to make sure I can work more of a daylight shift. I'm finally at that point that I can have a good choice of runs once I were dovetailed in. That's what seniority is for. The other reason I haven't made the move yet is because I know I'll miss the customer interaction that package car gives me.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I won't lie, the only reason I'm not in feeders yet is mostly because I want to make sure I can work more of a daylight shift. I'm finally at that point that I can have a good choice of runs once I were dovetailed in. That's what seniority is for. The other reason I haven't made the move yet is because I know I'll miss the customer interaction that package car gives me.
When you go in you have earned that right to hop into your spot... Don't care what anyone of these dudes say!!!