Sexual Harassment- On topic

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Here's an article that may help you understand that it's not necessarily as simple as you would like it to be.

What is Sexual Harassment? - FindLaw

"Types of Harassment: Quid Pro Quo and Hostile Work Environment

There are two different types of sexual harassment claims, although the manner in which a court will distinguish between the two for purposes of deciding whether harassment has occurred has become blurred in recent years:

• Quid Pro Quo: Sexual harassment that occurs when a supervisor or one in an authority position requests sex, or a sexual relationship, in exchange for not firing or otherwise punishing the employee, or in exchange for favors, such as promotions or raises.
  • Hostile Work Environment: Sexual harassment that occurs through the presence of demeaning or sexual photographs, jokes, or threats. The inappropriate behavior or conduct must be so pervasive as to, as the name implies, create an intimidating and offensive work environment."
I am being cautious because I wouldn't want to tell someone they were for sure sexually harassed based on one side of the story. The OP clearly felt uncomfortable with the situation, and I don't blame her. But HR has to walk a fine line, if they don't respond to the allegations appropriately, either the supervisor or the OP could sue the company.

Having said all that, no one should take legal advice from random people on the internet, anyway.
Oh yeah bro. It's enough. There are free consultations available.
Like I said, get a free consultation from an attorney or two. I know of one case where it was enough and the manager was not allowed on the property when the other party was working.
When an jury awards a victim for what may seem not what it seems then you have an answer. Until then it's all legally up for grabs (so to speak). When a person in authority over an employee does and says what he did I'm sure there's evidence that demands a verdict.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I think for now I will just contact their HR and file a complaint with them. I'll update everyone on the status and their reply. I just cannot stay silent anymore.

Just understand that UPS could potentially be liable for the actions of the supervisor. Between that, the time that has lapsed, and the fact that you no longer work for the company you may not get much cooperation from the company. HR's job is to keep the company out of court, and they may decide the best course of action will be to ignore you and hope you'll go away. I hope you get some closure, and I also hope you will feel comfortable standing up for yourself in the future.

You gave a guy cash for skin-tight, pretty transparent leotards to wear in public.

It sounds like you just wanted to use your physical appeal to get you a hookup to cheap stuff, and it annoyed you that there was an obvious reaction from him after you used him to get to the leotards.

Do you have any idea how easy this was to avoid?

Of course he's probably a creep. That's pretty clear. But you're just as bad and learned nothing at all.

1. I never gave the guy cash. After his multiple never-seem-to end statements of "cheap leggings" I told him I would pay him..hoping he would finally stop bringing it up during my shift. He refused to take money from me even after I threw it at him, he threw it back into my car as I was trying to drive away.
2. Never once did I say they were skin tight leotards?? Where are you getting this information?
3. I still have the clothes, unworn and with tags on them. Never EVER put them on out of pure disgust.
4. I wore loose clothing to every shift given that it occurred in the WINTER TIME IN THE EAST COAST. 2 giant sweatshirts and 2 pairs of sweatpants to keep me warm. So where does "physical appeal come in on this situation?

Do YOU have young daughters? I hope you wouldn't respond to them like that. How would you feel about your 22 year old daughter being given lace underwear from a supervisor at her work place that is twice her age?

I don't know who you think you are just making these assumptions, you do not know how I felt then and you damn well don't know how I feel now. Why else would I be bringing this up nearly 2 years after the fact? This occurrence and uncomfortable work environment still bothers me TODAY.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Why even go meet him to begin with? Just putting yourself in a worse situation imo. He was wrong how he approached you that I agree but I don’t get how people cannot just say look I am not interested then and there instead of texting him etc then 2 years later want to do something about it. I have a little daughter and I would be pissed if something like this happened but I will damn make sure she has the guts to stand up for herself too bc these days it’s too much when people wait 2-10yrs etc then want to bring up and issue. I am from a different country so when we didn’t like something we would tell the person that right away, this country used to be the same now everyone is too damn scared of being politically correct or hurt peoples feelings. If you don’t want someone talking to you say “leave me alone” it’s pretty simple imo. Anyway hope you get the answers you’re looking for.

I've already said in previous replies, I am not seeking money out of this. My very first statement in this forum states that I want to file a complaint.

Apparently speaking up is taboo? Should I not say anything at all?! For all of you blaming me, you will never know what its like to be the only woman in a male dominated work environment.

All of my coworkers were fabulous except the one man who just so happened to be the one in charge. Get over yourselves.

Yup, still have it in the same bag he gave me too. Tucked it away in my closet the day I got because I wanted to say something but was too scared to and did not know who to go to since I had no training or knowledge upon hire. I don't understand why your so quick to judge. Why should I have said something then and not now? Why should I not bring this up given the fact that he harassed another female employee as well?

You signed a Professional Conduct/Anti Harassment Policy upon hire. If you didn’t read it, that’s your problem.

I never did. I spoke to some coworkers who are still there and who were hired with me and they confirmed that we never did. It was 15-20 of us hired during peak season. We just watched an orientation video, given a tour and then separated into different sections. One of my coworkers brought it up to HR this past summer and after "checking" they did not find his and made him sign a "new" on the spot.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Make sure that you tell them this was 2 years ago.

Especially the part.... where you agreed to rendezvous with him, at an off-site

parking lot, with the money that you agreed to pay him.

Details are important.

Make sure that you tell them this was 2 years ago.

Especially the part.... where you agreed to rendezvous with him, at an off-site

parking lot, with the money that you agreed to pay him.

Details are important.

I detailed everything including the exact date of the exchange. The text messages show the exact date and time.

Also, the parking lot was on UPS property, not off site. It was just not where the regular employees (like myself) would park, complete other side of the building filled with managers/supervisor's cars.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I've already said in previous replies, I am not seeking money out of this. My very first statement in this forum states that I want to file a complaint.

Apparently speaking up is taboo? Should I not say anything at all?! For all of you blaming me, you will never know what its like to be the only woman in a male dominated work environment.

All of my coworkers were fabulous except the one man who just so happened to be the one in charge. Get over yourselves.

What is the outcome that you want from all of this?

You don't want money.
Sounds like the supervisor may not even still be with the company.
And it sounds like everything was done off the clock.

What response are you looking for from UPS? What could they do that could have prevented this?

I don't think anyone here is saying you shouldn't speak up. Guy definitely sounds like a creep.
But I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
It can be considered a hostile work environment along with harassment. Nothing would of helped you though because you were unwilling to tell somebody

You don't want money.

What response are you looking for from UPS? What could they do that could have prevented this?

I don't think anyone here is saying you shouldn't speak up. Guy definitely sounds like a creep.

Basically I want to make sure he doesn't have the opportunity to go back. And I also want more female supervisors readily available to speak to. My entire side of the building consisted of only male supervisors. The idea of showing a male supervisor who I did not know the clothes and the messages me me feel uncomfortable and anxious, which is I decided to repress and ignore how I felt. Others might have had more bravery in voicing their concerns, but I just needed the job and money for school. Once my shift ended everyday I bolted to class, no time to waste to speak to someone. The day of the exchange he let me leave 5 minutes early.

Jkloc420

Basically I want to make sure he doesn't have the opportunity to go back. And I also want more female supervisors readily available to speak to. My entire side of the building consisted of only male supervisors. The idea of showing a male supervisor who I did not know the clothes and the messages me me feel uncomfortable and anxious, which is I decided to repress and ignore how I felt. Others might have had more bravery in voicing their concerns, but I just needed the job and money for school. Once my shift ended everyday I bolted to class, no time to waste to speak to someone. The day of the exchange he let me leave 5 minutes early.
You could of easily asked to talk to a female

Jkloc420

Did you even give the stuff back and say you were not interested

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

You don't want money.

He was pestering her on the clock about cheap leggings, with the eventually clear intent to proposition her. That's where the distinction may be found about whether it was sexual harassment or not. As for the aim of preventing him from getting his job back, that would depend on the determination of whether his conduct met the criteria.

It's unfortunate that the OP didn't feel that she could report it, but that fact shouldn't impact the case against the supervisor unless he was doing something to intentionally make her feel that way. Based on the facts that the OP gave, I think they probably would have given him sensitivity training and reassigned him away from her, had she reported it at the time.