Sexual Harassment- On topic

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Has anyone here read the two forms the company uses on harassment issues?

I have not. I am new to this site so guidance on how to find that is appreciated!!
20190922_212443.jpg

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
You have to be able to prove he knew his advances were unwanted. The OP never said that she told him as much. She also never stated that he threatened her with discipline for not going along, or to keep her silent. She also never said he offered her any special privileges for going along or to keep her silent.

She only kept silent because of the way she felt, and you have to be able to prove the supervisor knew how she felt, and used that against her somehow. She also never said the behavior continued after the parking lot meeting/follow up text. It could very well be that he got the message that she wasn't interested and ceased the behavior, even without her being direct with him. The way she felt after that was completely on her, and she did not give any information indicating that he knew she felt uncomfortable working with him after that, or that he continued to do anything that would reasonably be expected to make her feel that way.

We may all agree that he should not have done what he did, but that doesn't make it harassment, or mean that he should have been fired for it.
Read the anti harassment policy above. Your assertion sounds equitable but falls short of the strict guidelines.
20190922_213203.jpg

Bingo.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Read the anti harassment policy above. Your assertion sounds equitable but falls short of the strict guidelines.

I read it, and everything I have written was affirmed by this document. That is basically the standard boilerplate anti-sexual harassment policy used by just about every company. I never said what happened wasn't sexual harassment, it just was not likely to meet the definition based on what the OP wrote. The part that would require further investigation would be the repeated offer of cheap leggings, since that is what led to the single occurance of a proposition. Had he continued the behavior after her apparent rejection of his advances, then I would say clear-cut case of sexual harassment.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I read it, and everything I have written was affirmed by this document. That is basically the standard boilerplate anti-sexual harassment policy used by just about every company. I never said what happened wasn't sexual harassment, it just was not likely to meet the definition based on what the OP wrote. The part that would require further investigation would be the repeated offer of cheap leggings, since that is what led to the single occurance of a proposition. Had he continued the behavior after her apparent rejection of his advances, then I would say clear-cut case of sexual harassment.
It meets the criteria. It doesnt say it has to be multiple occurrences. Rationalization isnt fitting seeing how it is pretty clear that once is enough to constitute harassment.

He took unsolicited pics of her sleeping in a truck on break. That's a problem as well.

We've seen so much junk go on that our sense of what is right is now graded on a curve.

I disagree. The policy disagrees. I'm sure the OP disagrees and we are beating a dead horse imo. Buy some panties for your (female) oms, hand them to her when you punch in and God help you in the hearing if she is offended with the unsolicited gift.
Let's just deliver and pick up shipments. The rest can be a very damaging game of Russian roulette.

Last edited:

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
The guys laugh it off. And I wouldnt call you a hypocrite but yes your "blabbing" makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It meets the criteria. It doesnt say it has to be multiple occurrences. Rationalization isnt fitting seeing how it is pretty clear that once is enough to constitute harassment.

He took unsolicited pics of her sleeping in a truck on break. That's a problem as well.

We've seen so much junk go on that our sense of what is right is now graded on a curve.

I disagree. The policy disagrees. I'm sure the OP disagrees and we are beating a dead horse imo. Buy some panties for your (female) oms, hand them to her when you punch in and God help you in the hearing if she is offended with the unsolicited gift.
Let's just deliver and pick up shipments. The rest can be a very damaging game of Russian roulette.

You can't underline one portion of one sentence to prove your case. His conduct had to create an environment that was found offensive, not simply do something that was offensive. That means it had to have been on-going. The only part that he persisted in was the cheap legging part. That, alone, should have been grounds for discipline, but not for sexual harassment, for violating the solicitation policy. You are free to interpret the policy how you see fit, but the company has to follow the actual law or expose themselves to liability, from either side.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
You can't underline one portion of one sentence to prove your case. His conduct had to create an environment that was found offensive, not simply do something that was offensive. That means it had to have been on-going. The only part that he persisted in was the cheap legging part. That, alone, should have been grounds for discipline, but not for sexual harassment, for violating the solicitation policy. You are free to interpret the policy how you see fit, but the company has to follow the actual law or expose themselves to liability, from either side.
The company separated it with a comma so it stands alone
"I" didnt write it and no, it doesnt have to be "ongoing".
Check with your hr rep and post his reply verbatim. It is enough and the company posted it that way for that very reason.

Zero tolerance does not mean multiple like offenses triggers the discipline. It means zero which equals LESS THAN 1. Figure it out.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The company separated it with a comma so it stands alone
"I" didnt write it and no, it doesnt have to be "ongoing".
Check with your hr rep and post his reply verbatim. It is enough and the company posted it that way for that very reason.

Zero tolerance does not mean multiple like offenses triggers the discipline. It means zero which equals LESS THAN 1. Figure it out.

I'm sorry, I don't have time to bring you up to speed on grammar and the law.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I'm sorry, I don't have time to bring you up to speed on grammar and the law.
Couldn't care less.
The next time you have to represent an employee for offending another ups employee with a sexual advance just one time and see how that works out for your grievant when you tell this stupidity to the labor manager.
You'll be up to speed with ups's one strike policy regardless what the law says.
Ups has their own rules and they will affect your income adversely if you want to test it.
Just make sure to tell everyone at work tomorrow that they can grope or make a crude sexual advance once and theyll still be good. Brilliant.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Couldn't care less.
The next time you have to represent an employee for offending another ups employee with a sexual advance just one time and see how that works out for your grievant.
You'll be up to speed with ups's one strike policy regardless what the law says.
Ups has their own rules and they will affect your income adversely if you want to test it.

I would have zero problem representing another union member in the same situation. I would have the correct understanding of the law, company policy, and the contract to aid me. I, however, don't need to proposition coworkers, I am well taken care of on that front. How about you take college courses in HR and business law, earn your degree in business, and then get back to me on what you learn?

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I would have zero problem representing another union member in the same situation. I would have the correct understanding of the law, company policy, and the contract to aid me. I, however, don't need to proposition coworkers, I am well taken care of on that front. How about you take college courses in HR and business law, earn your degree in business, and then get back to me on what you learn?
I've learned that you dont poke the bear for stupid reasons and you support stupid actions.
College wont help. Ups doesnt play by college rules. They play by liability rules and those that want to test it will have their chance to see it up close and personally...without benefits and without the guarantee that they will see another paycheck.
But you're the wizard here and I'm sure your college background will shake em up at the panel. Good luck and best to ya.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That is most definitely harassment supervisors aren’t supposed to have relations with employees anyways. You shouldn’t of had him get you the pants anyways. The panties was obviously way over board and

if I were you I’d just ask to speak with the on car or center manager and just explain to him what has happened and I’m sure they will take care of your issue.
Incorrect
I doubt it.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Looking to hear from any female employees who have experienced harassment from supervisors.

Background: worked November 2016-August 2017, utilizing tuition assistance program. I desperately needed the pre-load shift as a way to earn extra cash to pay for school without cutting into school and my other job.

Harassment: After Christmas, they moved me to truck loading with a new supervisor. Supervisor kept telling me he could get me leggings for a cheap. He was smart, always came up to me while I was loading trucks and I finally gave in and told him I'd give him cash for a cheap pair.

The day came, he told me he got me leggings, I told him to bring it to my truck and I'd give him cash. He insisted I owed him nothing and that I had to call so he could "direct me" to a certain a parking lot (not employee lot) after work because he couldn't bring them inside. I KNEW this was shady, thank goodness I still have the text messages!

I meet him in the parking lot, he hands me a gift bag filled with two pairs of leggings and two pairs of lace underwear. I didn't notice until I got in my car and looked inside. Like I said...I have text messages. He texts me asking if I like them and I just simply thank him for the leggings. He proceeds to tell me to wear a specific pair with the matching set of the underwear. I simply respond lol.

Long story short: He was my supervisor for 2 months, then went out on disability after getting hurt outside of work. He was with the company for 15+ years and I was just happy to be rid of him. I heard he might be coming back, so I decided to hand in my two weeks.

I never once remember watching a sexual harassment video or signing any paper explaining my rights. I was hired during peak season and saying my hire process was rushed is an understatement. I am looking for employees who have experienced similar situations... I was told one employee who also had to deal with him moved to a UPS in Washington state. I worked in NJ...

Hoping to file a formal complaint soon.
I’m sorry for your situation but can I give you some advice? Why not text the sup, “I don’t appreciate you giving me that?” Or “HELL NO, DONT EVER ASK ME THAT AGAIN.”?
LOL doesn’t have the same impact as NO!

undies

As far as I remember, I’ve never received any sort of sexual harassment training. That can’t be right, can it?

quad decade guy

I've already said in previous replies, I am not seeking money out of this. My very first statement in this forum states that I want to file a complaint.

Apparently speaking up is taboo? Should I not say anything at all?! For all of you blaming me, you will never know what its like to be the only woman in a male dominated work environment.

All of my coworkers were fabulous except the one man who just so happened to be the one in charge. Get over yourselves.

BS. I think you ARE seeking money. Cashing in on #Me Too. And for the few saying Mgt. and hourly

aren't "supposed" to fraternize, is pure BS. Happens REGULARLY at my hub. Right in our office.

Really....2 years ago? I see it this way- he gave it a shot(hitting on you)(in his way) and you didn't

say anything. He was stupid trusting you. He was stupid for trying(never at work)(to his employee's).

I think he should lose his job for being stupid. 2 years ? You are either vindictive(likely) or looking

for a payday(likely). If I was on a jury, zero nada.