Sexual Harassment- On topic

Looking to hear from any female employees who have experienced harassment from supervisors.

Background: worked November 2016-August 2017, utilizing tuition assistance program. I desperately needed the pre-load shift as a way to earn extra cash to pay for school without cutting into school and my other job.

Harassment: After Christmas, they moved me to truck loading with a new supervisor. Supervisor kept telling me he could get me leggings for a cheap. He was smart, always came up to me while I was loading trucks and I finally gave in and told him I'd give him cash for a cheap pair.

The day came, he told me he got me leggings, I told him to bring it to my truck and I'd give him cash. He insisted I owed him nothing and that I had to call so he could "direct me" to a certain a parking lot (not employee lot) after work because he couldn't bring them inside. I KNEW this was shady, thank goodness I still have the text messages!

I meet him in the parking lot, he hands me a gift bag filled with two pairs of leggings and two pairs of lace underwear. I didn't notice until I got in my car and looked inside. Like I said...I have text messages. He texts me asking if I like them and I just simply thank him for the leggings. He proceeds to tell me to wear a specific pair with the matching set of the underwear. I simply respond lol.

Long story short: He was my supervisor for 2 months, then went out on disability after getting hurt outside of work. He was with the company for 15+ years and I was just happy to be rid of him. I heard he might be coming back, so I decided to hand in my two weeks.

I never once remember watching a sexual harassment video or signing any paper explaining my rights. I was hired during peak season and saying my hire process was rushed is an understatement. I am looking for employees who have experienced similar situations... I was told one employee who also had to deal with him moved to a UPS in Washington state. I worked in NJ...

Hoping to file a formal complaint soon.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Looking to hear from any female employees who have experienced harassment from supervisors.

Background: worked November 2016-August 2017, utilizing tuition assistance program. I desperately needed the pre-load shift as a way to earn extra cash to pay for school without cutting into school and my other job.

Harassment: After Christmas, they moved me to truck loading with a new supervisor. Supervisor kept telling me he could get me leggings for a cheap. He was smart, always came up to me while I was loading trucks and I finally gave in and told him I'd give him cash for a cheap pair.

The day came, he told me he got me leggings, I told him to bring it to my truck and I'd give him cash. He insisted I owed him nothing and that I had to call so he could "direct me" to a certain a parking lot (not employee lot) after work because he couldn't bring them inside. I KNEW this was shady, thank goodness I still have the text messages!

I meet him in the parking lot, he hands me a gift bag filled with two pairs of leggings and two pairs of lace underwear. I didn't notice until I got in my car and looked inside. Like I said...I have text messages. He texts me asking if I like them and I just simply thank him for the leggings. He proceeds to tell me to wear a specific pair with the matching set of the underwear. I simply respond lol.

Long story short: He was my supervisor for 2 months, then went out on disability after getting hurt outside of work. He was with the company for 15+ years and I was just happy to be rid of him. I heard he might be coming back, so I decided to hand in my two weeks.

I never once remember watching a sexual harassment video or signing any paper explaining my rights. I was hired during peak season and saying my hire process was rushed is an understatement. I am looking for employees who have experienced similar situations... I was told one employee who also had to deal with him moved to a UPS in Washington state. I worked in NJ...

Google sexual harassment lawsuits against the company.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Sexual Harassment

Did you ever make it clear that you did not want the leggings? Did you return the underwear and tell him you weren't interested? Did he ever try to force sexual favors from you as a condition of keeping your job? There is a lot that can go into trying to determine if sexual harassment has occured.

In this day and age, I would think that a supervisor wouldn't do something like what you described simply to avoid the appearance of sexual harassment. But from what you wrote, it doesn't sound like what he did meets the definition. It could just have been a very awkward way for him to communicate his interest in you and gauge your level of interest in return. If you had returned the items and explained that you weren't interested and he continued to pursue you in a sexual manner, then you would have a better case.

No. I took the gift bag from his rolled down window and went straight to my car. It was not until I got into my car that I looked inside. Underwear was tucked in the bottom. ( I still have the clothes, brand new and unworn). He knew not to do or say anything to me while at work because I was the only girl and all the guys on our belt were basically like my older brothers. I do have the text message to go along with the story and the only other evidence I have is him taking pictures of me while I slept in a truck during a work break.

I don't necessarily think I can get much out of this, but I don't feel any better knowing he could possibly return to work and harass other employees.

Side note: one of the guys I worked with who knew him for a long time had warned me that he was "creepy" and would pictures of naked women he claimed to have sex with while "ubering" and that he was into swingers. So after he left due to an injury, I just felt better knowing I wouldn't have to deal with him anymore.

I wish there was someone there who I could have spoke to. It's tough being the only 22 year old woman there with multiple men who just want to get their shift over with.. not necessarily an open environment to be vulnerable enough to speak to someone.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Sexual Harassment

Did you ever make it clear that you did not want the leggings? Did you return the underwear and tell him you weren't interested? Did he ever try to force sexual favors from you as a condition of keeping your job? There is a lot that can go into trying to determine if sexual harassment has occured.

In this day and age, I would think that a supervisor wouldn't do something like what you described simply to avoid the appearance of sexual harassment. But from what you wrote, it doesn't sound like what he did meets the definition. It could just have been a very awkward way for him to communicate his interest in you and gauge your level of interest in return. If you had returned the items and explained that you weren't interested and he continued to pursue you in a sexual manner, then you would have a better case.
Maybe it was too awkward for her to reopen the issue with him?
Why would i buy a female lace underwear when I could just ask her if she would be interested in hanging out with a group of coworkers at BW3s or another venue to watch a game or equal and see if she showed interest in further conversation with me.
Buying a girl you supervise underwear is lewd in many people's eyes including HR.

OKLABob

That is most definitely harassment supervisors aren’t supposed to have relations with employees anyways. You shouldn’t of had him get you the pants anyways. The panties was obviously way over board and if I were you I’d just ask to speak with the on car or center manager and just explain to him what has happened and I’m sure they will take care of your issue.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
No. I took the gift bag from his rolled down window and went straight to my car. It was not until I got into my car that I looked inside. Underwear was tucked in the bottom. ( I still have the clothes, brand new and unworn). He knew not to do or say anything to me while at work because I was the only girl and all the guys on our belt were basically like my older brothers. I do have the text message to go along with the story and the only other evidence I have is him taking pictures of me while I slept in a truck during a work break.

I don't necessarily think I can get much out of this, but I don't feel any better knowing he could possibly return to work and harass other employees.

Side note: one of the guys I worked with who knew him for a long time had warned me that he was "creepy" and would pictures of naked women he claimed to have sex with while "ubering" and that he was into swingers. So after he left due to an injury, I just felt better knowing I wouldn't have to deal with him anymore.

I wish there was someone there who I could have spoke to. It's tough being the only 22 year old woman there with multiple men who just want to get their shift over with.. not necessarily an open environment to be vulnerable enough to speak to someone.

Assuming your two weeks' notice isn't over yet, ask for your shop steward. At very least you can file a harassment grievance with the union, but you should also be directed to someone in HR. Tell them what happened and that you would feel uncomfortable having to work with that supervisor again. You shouldn't feel like you have to quit just to avoid this person. Again, I'm not sure what you described meets the definition, but the supervisor should know better than to do what he did the way he did it, and at very least he needs to be corrected.

Why would i buy a female lace underwear when I could just ask her if she would be interested in hanging out with a group of coworkers at BW3s or another venue to watch a game or equal and see if she showed interest in further conversation with me.
Buying a girl you supervise underwear is lewd in many people's eyes including HR.

Exactly. I am not a confrontational person. The idea of me bringing up the underwear to him gave me major anxiety. I just ignored him during my shift as much as possible. I needed the job desperately for school and was running on 3-4 hours of sleep everyday.

What bugs me the most is that I could have continued working there and continued to receive tuition assistance but once I heard he was coming back, my decision was made. I did not want to deal with him again. Took out loans for my last year of college instead...

OKLABob

Exactly. I am not a confrontational person. The idea of me bringing up the underwear to him gave me major anxiety. I just ignored him during my shift as much as possible. I needed the job desperately for school and was running on 3-4 hours of sleep everyday.

What bugs me the most is that I could have continued working there and continued to receive tuition assistance but once I heard he was coming back, my decision was made. I did not want to deal with him again. Took out loans for my last year of college instead...
You shouldn’t of quit your job over rumors of his return. Ups is a good job and a awesome back up plan if college didn’t pan out. Should of just told him upfront during work you weren’t interested.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

You may be right that most people would see it that way. I certainly would never consider doing that. And based on that, HR will probably take some action. I'm just not sure if it is enough to meet the legal definition.

I just want to note that I no longer work there. I stopped working there in August of 2017.

My goal is to make sure no one, male/female, ever has to go through this. I'm not looking to gain thousands in a law suit out of this. I just want to be able to file a complaint and make it known. The fact that I kept the clothes unworn and the text messages was to prove to myself that I was strong enough to ignore what made me uncomfortable. I wanted to throw/burn the clothing but I recently opened up to my older sister about this situation this past week and its opened up all my compressed feelings.

I never filed a complaint while working there, I just decided to leave and ignore unfortunately.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.

Only an attorney could explain the liability the company had/has because you left due to unwanted advance(s), pictures taken of you resting on break, and the context of the body of texts from him. You incurred loss due to the actions of a supe working for a company that claims ZERO tolerance for these actions.
It's garbage and if it was one of my daughters I'd have an attorney respond to it.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
You may be right that most people would see it that way. I certainly would never consider doing that. And based on that, HR will probably take some action. I'm just not sure if it is enough to meet the legal definition.
Oh yeah bro. It's enough. There are free consultations available.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

So I take it you no longer work at UPS?

OKLABob

I just want to note that I no longer work there. I stopped working there in August of 2017.

My goal is to make sure no one, male/female, ever has to go through this. I'm not looking to gain thousands in a law suit out of this. I just want to be able to file a complaint and make it known. The fact that I kept the clothes unworn and the text messages was to prove to myself that I was strong enough to ignore what made me uncomfortable. I wanted to throw/burn the clothing but I recently opened up to my older sister about this situation this past week and its opened up all my compressed feelings.

I never filed a complaint while working there, I just decided to leave and ignore unfortunately.
Do you even know if the supervisor even works there anymore?

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
You shouldn’t of quit your job over rumors of his return. Ups is a good job and a awesome back up plan if college didn’t pan out. Should of just told him upfront during work you weren’t interested.
Sometimes embarrassment prevents you from responding to another persons (unwanted) forwardness...

especially from a supervisor who has power over and employee's work environment and that's a problem of itself.

From what I've heard he does not. When I left I heard rumors he was returning from disability leave. My coworker confirmed he was there 17+ years so in my head I could not think of a reason why he wouldn't return after dedicating so many years to the company.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Then maybe an anonymous letter sent to the corporate HR dept in Atlanta noting the supes name and work address depicting just what you posted here would help someone else. Heck, copy it to the Planning Succession Dept and maybe it'll stop his forward progress if he still works there.
Just a thought.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Oh yeah bro. It's enough. There are free consultations available.

Here's an article that may help you understand that it's not necessarily as simple as you would like it to be.

What is Sexual Harassment? - FindLaw

"Types of Harassment: Quid Pro Quo and Hostile Work Environment

There are two different types of sexual harassment claims, although the manner in which a court will distinguish between the two for purposes of deciding whether harassment has occurred has become blurred in recent years:

• Quid Pro Quo: Sexual harassment that occurs when a supervisor or one in an authority position requests sex, or a sexual relationship, in exchange for not firing or otherwise punishing the employee, or in exchange for favors, such as promotions or raises.
  • Hostile Work Environment: Sexual harassment that occurs through the presence of demeaning or sexual photographs, jokes, or threats. The inappropriate behavior or conduct must be so pervasive as to, as the name implies, create an intimidating and offensive work environment."
I am being cautious because I wouldn't want to tell someone they were for sure sexually harassed based on one side of the story. The OP clearly felt uncomfortable with the situation, and I don't blame her. But HR has to walk a fine line, if they don't respond to the allegations appropriately, either the supervisor or the OP could sue the company.

Having said all that, no one should take legal advice from random people on the internet, anyway.

Here's an article that may help you understand that it's not necessarily as simple as you would like it to be.

What is Sexual Harassment? - FindLaw

"Types of Harassment: Quid Pro Quo and Hostile Work Environment

There are two different types of sexual harassment claims, although the manner in which a court will distinguish between the two for purposes of deciding whether harassment has occurred has become blurred in recent years:

• Quid Pro Quo: Sexual harassment that occurs when a supervisor or one in an authority position requests sex, or a sexual relationship, in exchange for not firing or otherwise punishing the employee, or in exchange for favors, such as promotions or raises.
  • Hostile Work Environment: Sexual harassment that occurs through the presence of demeaning or sexual photographs, jokes, or threats. The inappropriate behavior or conduct must be so pervasive as to, as the name implies, create an intimidating and offensive work environment."
I am being cautious because I wouldn't want to tell someone they were for sure sexually harassed based on one side of the story. The OP clearly felt uncomfortable with the situation, and I don't blame her. But HR has to walk a fine line, if they don't respond to the allegations appropriately, either the supervisor or the OP could sue the company.

Having said all that, no one should take legal advice from random people on the internet, anyway.

I think for now I will just contact their HR and file a complaint with them. I'll update everyone on the status and their reply. I just cannot stay silent anymore.