SFA per retired manager

McFeely

Huge Member
My manager got a 60 on his SFA last year. No Feedback meeting, nothing, and he’s still here. I have a feeling he’ll do even worse this time.

I heard no SFA meetings last year due to COVID. I don’t think my manager did well at all last year either, but we had no follow up meeting at all. I do know there was a follow up meeting with senior management though. Can’t really say that anything improved here.

Stat41

Do managers actually get into trouble over their scores?
I dont think they do, especially now that the new SFA mostly ignores them. The station does get scrutinized on the level of participation. Thats why they really push to get everone to take it. And thats one of the reasons I refuse to take it. Silence speaks loudest.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The best is to give them a really low SFA score and then don’t say anything during the meeting. Really pisses them off.
Doesn't piss them off, merely gives the impression that people have petty issues with their manager as opposed to real issues that the SFA process should be used to correct.

Anyone who doesn't have the balls to discuss the issues that your workgroup faces in a setting that's meant to gather information about those issues so that they can be corrected is a pu**y. I've always taken the survey and participated in feedback sessions. No problem in voicing my concerns.

It will be fine

Doesn't piss them off, merely gives the impression that people have petty issues with their manager as opposed to real issues that the SFA process should be used to correct.

Anyone who doesn't have the balls to discuss the issues that your workgroup faces in a setting that's meant to gather information about those issues so that they can be corrected is a pu**y. I've always taken the survey and participated in feedback sessions. No problem in voicing my concerns.
I would imagine any concerns raised would not be unique. I don’t see how someone in management would be shocked by issues brought up in that type of meeting.

MassWineGuy

My manager got a 60 on his SFA last year. No Feedback meeting, nothing, and he’s still here. I have a feeling he’ll do even worse this time.

It must depend on the district. My manager told me that if they or other managers get a low rating, the managing director is on the phone with them regularly asking how they’re fixing the issue.

I am not reticent about expressing my honest opinions in the SFA comment section. Nor would I be if I took part in a meeting about the survey results.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Hey Mr. Pu**y, not every station is run like Station 1. You know, Fantasyland where you received all your therapy.

You tell us how someone is supposed to voice their concerns when managers don’t give ample time to do so or there’s no meeting at all. Fact of the matter is they refuse to hear the truth.

You are completely clueless so go back to your meaningless numbers and BS graphs you do for a living.

vantexan

The first year I didn't take the SFA my mgr asked me why not? Told him nothing ever changes. Which made him angry. I remember this one mgr with hypertension who exploded all the time coming to the question in the SFA meeting about whether there was favoritism or not which he scored worse on than any other question. He literally gave several courier buddies the run of the place while he constantly dumped on others. And it wasn't due to their superior skillset or work ethic. He challenged us with a snarling voice to speak up if we had an issue with how he did things. Of course no one did. I have, and have seen others, raised issues that were quickly dismissed as no big deal in spite of half the couriers there nodding in agreement. You may not realize it but way too many mgrs are too emotionally immature to handle constructive criticism. It's the flaw in the system. Get a mgr in that tries to make things better and he's usually gone to better things soon. Others either make things much harder than necessary or they keep their head down and are totally ineffectual. In my experience about the only thing that ever gets addressed quickly is mgrs sexually involved with employees. Which illustrates the mindset of many mgrs. No doubt in their training it is emphasized that it's a major taboo. But these guys often think they're slick enough to get away with it when they don't realize that there are couriers with axes to grind looking for any reason to drop a dime on a mgr. No, the SFA doesn't address egos and arrogance. All an employee can do is hope that he gets a good boss who doesn't make life any harder than what the company already does.

fdxsux

See, your getting pissed off already.

Last edited:

El Morado Diablo

This is a perfect example of why people won't speak up. I had a manager who stood up and threw a temper tantrum during the feedback meeting because one person strongly disagreed with something about him. He said, "If you strongly disagree you should have the balls to say something about it", then started picking on a couple of couriers he suspected gave him the score. He looked like he was going to flip the table. No one said a word.

He eventually transferred to a different station and quit when he realized he actually had to do his job. We were lucky to see him when he was our manager. He was always out of the office and had to be contacted by phone.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Who hires some of these unfit managers anyway? Do they find them in Falcon Back’s neighborhood or something?

Stat41

I voice my concerns with my manager and senior sitting across the desk with them mano e mano. Some times I get some back room retribution but at least they know where I stand. As far as the whole SFA process, In my experience its a complete waste of time.

FedUpRTD

Years ago, a wise and now retired manager summed it up best. The SFA doesn’t mean smilet, but it can be used to start smilet. It seems that he was right.

Stat41

Who hires some of these unfit managers anyway? Do they find them in Falcon Back’s neighborhood or something?
In my opinion those that are intelligent enough to be good managers, are also intelligent enough NOT to get into management. I have seen good people step down from management because they just could not play the stupid games Fedex requires of them.

FdxVmx

I once thought I would like to go into management for Vehicle Maintenance. Definitely not anymore unless things change. My son asked what would it take for me to move into management. I told him first I would have to drink the Koolaid!

MassWineGuy

In my opinion those that are intelligent enough to be good managers, are also intelligent enough NOT to get into management. I have seen good people step down from management because they just could not play the stupid games Fedex requires of them.

A courier at our station once made it to ops manager. But it was too much B.S. and he gave it up to stay a courier.