Shifter local 104

Union 💪🏽 Strong

This question pertains to Local 104.
Here's the question!
A full time shifter 22.2 that is attached to Feeder department is trying to file grievence! Stating that a 22.3 Combo (Irreg/shifter) is working up to 50 hours and that his getting the short end of the stick only 40 hours! 8 hour only! However the 22.3 combo is getting the majority of his hours inside the hub doing Irregs and then he goes shifting for his second half of his job and works for roughly 3 to 4 hours! The 22.2 feels his entitled to those hours I tried telling him that I don't think his grievance will stick because the 22.3 first half of his job works inside the hub and not Feeder department! I told him that if the 22.3 came in and got on his shifter at the same time as you (22.2) than that will be taking your hours!... Is this correct what I told him and will his grievance proceed?

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike
Here's the question!
A full time shifter 22.2 that is attached to Feeder department is trying to file grievence! Stating that a 22.3 Combo (Irreg/shifter) is working up to 50 hours and that his getting the short end of the stick only 40 hours! 8 hour only! However the 22.3 combo is getting the majority of his hours inside the hub doing Irregs and then he goes shifting for his second half of his job and works for roughly 3 to 4 hours! The 22.2 feels his entitled to those hours I tried telling him that I don't think his grievance will stick because the 22.3 first half of his job works inside the hub and not Feeder department! I told him that if the 22.3 came in and got on his shifter at the same time as you (22.2) than that will be taking your hours!... Is this correct what I told him and will his grievance proceed?
I was just reading your post regarding your shoddy steward being best buds with mgmt. I've been having the same issue with multiple stewards, has your issue been resolved? I know this is off topic, but.

Union 💪🏽 Strong

I was just reading your post regarding your shoddy steward being best buds with mgmt. I've been having the same issue with multiple stewards, has your issue been resolved? I know this is off topic, but.
No, it has not been resolved! He has alot of influence with upper management! He's like an anaconda if you fight he will just squeeze harder soficate you and have management against you! It sucks to have to work with an individual like him! Toxic environment

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike
No, it has not been resolved! He has alot of influence with upper management! He's like an anaconda if you fight he will just squeeze harder soficate you and have management against you! It sucks to have to work with an individual like him! Toxic environment
This makes me feel a lot better and I hope you know that you're not alone. Same deal over here. It breaks my heart because I feel like I care a lot and I'm just another member and not even our leadership seems to care. Sad.

My state isnt a right to work state so they have nothing to lose. Eventually the whole country will be though.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Vote him out

542thruNthru

Excuse are like *s everybody’s got one

If it’s so turrible go over the BA’s head
Exactly. Everyone acts like stewards are some how invincible. Plenty of ways to deal with a bad steward.

The funny thing is it's usually the steward is not as bad as they say. It's more he/she won't tell them what they want to hear and so they think he's on managements side.

Also, you have the right to choose any shop steward that's available. You don't like that steward, fine ask for another.

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike
Exactly. Everyone acts like stewards are some how invincible. Plenty of ways to deal with a bad steward.

The funny thing is it's usually the steward is not as bad as they say. It's more he/she won't tell them what they want to hear and so they think he's on managements side.

Also, you have the right to choose any shop steward that's available. You don't like that steward, fine ask for another.
I agree. Some people want to hear what they want to hear and think the union is some kind of magical force keeping everything bad happening from happening.

Maybe you have some advice for us, maybe not. I have a couple of stewards that have really (really) buddied up to those in part time and full time management. Meanwhile, those same stewards while talking to dues paying members can be outright sarcastic and rude. I've struggled to say something given that I cant tell people who they can or cannot be friends with. In a sense, I recognize that maybe my expectations for my stewards is unreasonable but was hoping it wouldn't be like it is. We had a steward when I first started working here that was very aggressive. Hes since retired.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Here's the question!
Your local/region never should have allowed 22.3 employees to work as shifters in the first place, but I will assume that you can't "unstrike that match".

That being said, aside from an ongoing monetary award in this grievance and those that would surely follow if successful, what other remedy would be available for this shifter and how does the Company fix it going forward?

If I am reading it correctly, the Company would have to kick the 22.3 after 8 hours, leaving the 22.4 shifter to shift all remaining trailers, ultimately extending the sort by a significant amount of time, at an enormous overall cost in wages for sort employees and possibly incur service failures that could run into subsequent sorts.

Yeah, I agree with @104Feeder , this grievance is going nowhere.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Your local/region never should have allowed 22.3 employees to work as shifters in the first place, but I will assume that you can't "unstrike that match".

My Local has 22.3 yard shifters. It was negotiated by a previous administration around 2001(?) and they get feeder

rate while they are shifting. If they work over 4 hours in that classification, they get feeder rate all day. $$$

Since they don't leave the yard, they aren't subject to DOT hours of service and can work 12-16 hours a day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My Local has 22.3 yard shifters. It was negotiated by a previous administration around 2001(?) and they get feeder

rate while they are shifting. If they work over 4 hours in that classification, they get feeder rate all day. $$$

Since they don't leave the yard, they aren't subject to DOT hours of service and can work 12-16 hours a day.
All coveted bid, full time feeder jobs here.

Wouldn't you agree that it is much better that way?