shop steward working for ups

derrick

have a shop steward thats pretty much working for UPS and not the union members. he is also telling the part time managers and drivers how to do there job. I was told my a supervisor that the shop steward if he sees someone messing up at work he can fire then himself. I'm asking how can we get a shop steward removed from power? do we go to the union hall and get him removed or what?

ManInBrown

have a shop steward thats pretty much working for UPS and not the union members. he is also telling the part time managers and drivers how to do there job. I was told my a supervisor that the shop steward if he sees someone messing up at work he can fire then himself. I'm asking how can we get a shop steward removed from power? do we go to the union hall and get him removed or what?
Plenty of them do this. Theyll discourage drivers not to file and only work on behalf of their buddies who are drivers. We had a shop steward years ago who was done at 5 every day. You think thats a coincidence? You think management was sending him out with cake days out of the kindness of their heart?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Plenty of them do this. Theyll discourage drivers not to file and only work on behalf of their buddies who are drivers. We had a shop steward years ago who was done at 5 every day. You think thats a coincidence? You think management was sending him out with cake days out of the kindness of their heart?
I'd rather have an honest sellout steward, than one that pretends to work for members

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

Could you describe the ruckus, sir?
We had a shop steward sellout a driver to our sup. The driver was definitely in the wrong and was a dumb*** throughout that situation. The steward and the driver have had problems with each other prior to the incident. Our BA told the driver to gather driver signatures to remove the steward (I forgot what %age of drivers was needed). The driver received enough. That steward is now a former steward.

Non sequitur

If you're not a friend-up you should expect strong brotherhood. Remedial action with a problem child is a little tougher.
Do your job and forget about it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Stewards can't fire anyone, they are there only to enforce the contract on behalf of the Union. You can't even file a grievance against another union member. You can, however, file internal charges against a union member for violating the constitution or local bylaws. To do so you would write a letter detailing the violation(s) to the secretary of the executive board of the local. They can decide what action to take, or to hold a hearing.

ski or die

Ski or Die
We had a shop steward sellout a driver to our sup. The driver was definitely in the wrong and was a dumb*** throughout that situation. The steward and the driver have had problems with each other prior to the incident
I was a steward before I retired. The last grievance I had to process was for an employee who crossed the picket line in 97. Very difficult to do, considering them crossing line, but won grievance for employee.
Also, if steward is not properly representing you, contact local, if BA doesn't help, go to Local President. Our BA wasn't on the up and up. Had a grievance on seniority which he sat on his hands at hearing and was lost. Went to Local President who was going to file charges but I did not want a fellow teamster to lose their job. The BA reopened grievance and company ruled in my favor. Sometimes you have to go up the ladder if someone does not represent you properly.

Inthegame

Had a grievance on seniority which he sat on his hands at hearing and was lost. Went to Local President who was going to file charges but I did not want a fellow teamster to lose their job. The BA reopened grievance and company ruled in my favor. Sometimes you have to go up the ladder if someone does not represent you properly.
So a decision on a specific case was "reopened"?
Hmmm... Methinks there's a wee bit more to this story.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I was a steward before I retired. The last grievance I had to process was for an employee who crossed the picket line in 97. Very difficult to do, considering them crossing line, but won grievance for employee.
Also, if steward is not properly representing you, contact local, if BA doesn't help, go to Local President. Our BA wasn't on the up and up. Had a grievance on seniority which he sat on his hands at hearing and was lost. Went to Local President who was going to file charges but I did not want a fellow teamster to lose their job. The BA reopened grievance and company ruled in my favor. Sometimes you have to go up the ladder if someone does not represent you properly.

The grievance procedure has time limits on it. You can't reopen a case once it is heard. There may have been extension in order to investigate the matter or both sides were waiting for paperwork to address a decision that may have been discussed at a higher level.

ski or die

Ski or Die
The case was not officially reopened. The BA met with Labor Manager. It was an open and shut case involving seniority. The BA was and company were very tight. Many questionable grievances denied. With the BA having pressure from our Local President and facing possible charges, an agreement was reached. He knew if it was denied he could face charges. Also, the seniority issued would have affected every Teamster. The company would have been able to assign overtime to anyone without seniority being a factor in the decision. The company and union had everyone who had a grievance that day wait in a hotel room until their grievance was called. All were heard except mine, then they went to lunch and mine was heard afterwards. Lost a days pay. The Local President from that point on required my BA to hear my grievance first. The BA eventually was forced to resign over 2 separate issues. The BA and I did not see eye to eye. I was our first elected steward. The BA had appointed all previous ones. I was elected because fellow employees knew I would not sell them out.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The case was not officially reopened. The BA met with Labor Manager. It was an open and shut case involving seniority. The BA was and company were very tight. Many questionable grievances denied. With the BA having pressure from our Local President and facing possible charges, an agreement was reached. He knew if it was denied he could face charges. Also, the seniority issued would have affected every Teamster. The company would have been able to assign overtime to anyone without seniority being a factor in the decision. The company and union had everyone who had a grievance that day wait in a hotel room until their grievance was called. All were heard except mine, then they went to lunch and mine was heard afterwards. Lost a days pay. The Local President from that point on required my BA to hear my grievance first. The BA eventually was forced to resign over 2 separate issues.

What year was this ?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Sounds about right, just like ours. We don't even have a backup or secondary steward. Good luck when he goes on vacation for 2 weeks.