Shopping (Union or Non-Union)?

Wal mart hires people that UPS will not. They hire elderly, physically and mentally handicapped , people that practically no one else will hire.

UPS tries to push out old people and if you happen to get hurt or have any kind of physical or mental problem you are treated like a pariah.

Also, thousands of WalMart employees have retired millionaires.

Poor exploited employees.
Where did you get that info?
The only reason Walmart hires those people is because they will work for less and will not fight them over needing full time hours. Don't think for one minute walmart is doing it to help the old folks. That policy saves them millions a year.

A

anonymous6

Where did you get that info?
The only reason Walmart hires those people is because they will work for less and will not fight them over needing full time hours. Don't think for one minute walmart is doing it to help the old folks. That policy saves them millions a year.

Sam Walton biography and several articles i have read over the years in magazines such as Forbes. Employees who bought stock in the company over the years ( mainly in the beginning ) and a lot of them were the truck drivers.

Sam Walton biography and several articles i have read over the years in magazines such as Forbes. Employees who bought stock in the company over the years ( mainly in the beginning ) and a lot of them were the truck drivers.
OK, I can see that. The thousands of employees that retired millionaires did so from buying Walmart stock, not for some magnanimous trait of the company. The wally world we know today is not the same as the one that Sam started. Yes, just like UPS, Walmart has changed.

Don't know about that , but if you want to take this Union Correct BS further you wouldn't be able to buy practically anything.

Half our oil comes from the middle east. Almost everything comes from China , the most exploited people on earth. How about that diamond ring you bought the old lady? Ever see how those mine workers are treated ? Thousands die every year so you can have that overpriced stone.

Clothes, from Latin and South America. All mostly child labor.

We buy Union goods and services when it makes good sense.
If you read my other posts you see that I am not the one that is advocating to buy union only.
When all other things are equal, I will by union.
When it come down to the nut cuttin', we can only buy what is available, it does make good sense to by American made products when we can. However this is kind of like the horse/barn door thing, the barn door was left open a long time ago.

wkmac

I keep it simple - go for cheapest if comparable quality.

If the same goods - I go for cheapest price if convenient and people are friendly.
Shop at Kroger, Publix and WalMart for groceries on a weekly basis.
Kroger has the least friendly so I go through self-check to not deal with those jerks there.

Shop at Dilliards for clothes and housegoods usually at 50% or more off.

Gas - at Sam's. Usually 7-8 cents less per gallon and at Kroger where I get 10 cents off per gallon based on what I bought the previous and this month.

Mostly buy if I can off the Internet where things are generally cheaper, no taxes and usually no shipping.

What amazes me is the old arguement that union always costs more and there may be times where this might be true. But in a real world experience for me Kroger (which is union) I find our total grocery bill much cheaper than Publix (strong non union) and yes compared to Publix, Kroger employees not the most engaging but then I'm there to buy food and not socialized so there you go.

Walmart? I got nothing against them regarding union policy but I typically (not always) avoid Walwart because of their brazen policy of using gov't and emient domain abuse to spread their market position. I'm sure many other various large scale and even medium scale chains do similar but Walmart has been the most bold IMO. But if gov't did it's job! :happy-very:

Walmart is also notorious for making huge promises to local officials for community improvements in exchange for favored status at zoning and council meeting only to renig on those promises once the store goes up.

Hoax, as someone who spoke up for the Barrett Parkway Walmart at the County Commission meeting, I'd be happy in a pm to tell you about the broken promises to the county that Walmart made. And in their (Walmart's) defense the county has made no effort to hold them to the promises either so there you go. 2 way street!

:peaceful:

I've not read this whole thread but what does this really have to do with UPS specific? Should this be in the "Current Events" of "Life After UPS" forum?

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
If you read my other posts you see that I am not the one that is advocating to buy union only.
When all other things are equal, I will by union.
When it come down to the nut cuttin', we can only buy what is available, it does make good sense to by American made products when we can. However this is kind of like the horse/barn door thing, the barn door was left open a long time ago.

A bunch of grown men arguing over shopping... I think it already came down to the nut cuttin'. :wink2:

damn crazy texanese again : )

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Ok here is what I found out today. We are needing a new roof. Today we had a union contractor stop by for an estimate and he came out and told us that his company would be at least $4 grand higher than anyone else. Husband and I are both union so what do you do? Its not like that four grand is pocket change.
Go with cheapest, legally sound roofer. JMHO, then you can give us the extra 4k.:happy-very:

LOL

705red

Browncafe Steward
Screw walmart! My wife has been told that if I find out she has spent any of my hard earned money at that store I will leave her!

On another note I bought a new construction house and the siding was installed wrong on every house here. Now the builder is redoing and putting up all new siding on all of our homes.

I tried talking to these guys and all they kept saying was that they don't speak English. Now if you cant speak the language you should not be allowed to work here!

Don't let the door knob hit you were the good lord split you! You came to this country we did not invite you!

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Screw walmart! My wife has been told that if I find out she has spent any of my hard earned money at that store I will leave her!

On another note I bought a new construction house and the siding was installed wrong on every house here. Now the builder is redoing and putting up all new siding on all of our homes.

I tried talking to these guys and all they kept saying was that they don't speak English. Now if you cant speak the language you should not be allowed to work here!

Don't let the door knob hit you were the good lord split you! You came to this country we did not invite you!

No, seriously, tell us how you really feel.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

LOL, The wind coming from the volume of this post was blowing my arms back behind me.

55andout?

I read most of the posts in this thread and all I see is Walmart. Our problem is not just Walmart or Target, union or non-unmion, its what we buy in these stores as well. I was with my son last week buying some socks and stuff for him and I made sure he saw me looking at the label to find out where they were made. The items we bought were made in the USA. Yes they cost a little more but I have always felt it was important to purchase made in the USA over anything else whenever possible.

My kids already know I will never buy a Forgein car and I am teaching them the benefits of this. It has always puzzled me when I see the large numbers of forgein cars in the UPS parking lots. In the old days union members always knew to patronize other union shops and products and now that way of thinking is a distant memory. Maybe thats part of the reason that union membership is declining yearly. Everyone is always looking for the best price instead of thinking about their neighbor and how they need that neighbor to make a good living as well so that the country as a whole can grow.

Its easy to blame corporate leadership for moving so many manufacturing jobs overseas but that was what they needed to survive. The American consumer has been looking for the cheapest products for years and foriegn compition was able to fill that need with cheap and often slave labor. American companies felt that the only way they could survive was to tap into cheaper labor sources.

So I will continue to look where things are made before I buy them for as long as I can. I will continue to pity the guy with the forgein car in the driveway and the for sale sign (pre-forclosure) in the yard. I maybe a dinosaur but I am ok with that.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I read most of the posts in this thread and all I see is Walmart. Our problem is not just Walmart or Target, union or non-unmion, its what we buy in these stores as well. I was with my son last week buying some socks and stuff for him and I made sure he saw me looking at the label to find out where they were made. The items we bought were made in the USA. Yes they cost a little more but I have always felt it was important to purchase made in the USA over anything else whenever possible.

My kids already know I will never buy a Forgein car and I am teaching them the benefits of this. It has always puzzled me when I see the large numbers of forgein cars in the UPS parking lots. In the old days union members always knew to patronize other union shops and products and now that way of thinking is a distant memory. Maybe thats part of the reason that union membership is declining yearly. Everyone is always looking for the best price instead of thinking about their neighbor and how they need that neighbor to make a good living as well so that the country as a whole can grow.

Its easy to blame corporate leadership for moving so many manufacturing jobs overseas but that was what they needed to survive. The American consumer has been looking for the cheapest products for years and foriegn compition was able to fill that need with cheap and often slave labor. American companies felt that the only way they could survive was to tap into cheaper labor sources.

So I will continue to look where things are made before I buy them for as long as I can. I will continue to pity the guy with the forgein car in the driveway and the for sale sign (pre-forclosure) in the yard. I maybe a dinosaur but I am ok with that.
Very well said! Just thought you should know that you got me thinking.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I skimmed through your post earlier and missed the part about looking at the labels. I do this as well. Good post!