Short term disability

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I've been out on work comp since August of 2019 and I'm about to be cleared to return to work. The problem is I need my knee scoped and I dont qualify for fmla because I dont have enough hours worked. It's a different injury than the work comp injury. Can I just use short term disability? I only need 2 weeks off for the procedure.
Yes you can use STD. If the company refuses to give you light duty work file for unemployment too. You'll have a waiting week but paid for the second week.

It's not that hard and with a bonafide doctors report that you need it done then it'll be no one else's business what you do. You probably need to call HRSC and you'll bypass the management office explanation. Its not their business.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Am I the only one not willing to give this kid a pass? He has been off work since August of 2019. We are now in April 2020 and the Covid restrictions did not begin to kick in until late February/early March 2020. That gave him 6-7 full months to schedule the scope on his knee so as not to delay his return from comp.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Am I the only one not willing to give this kid a pass? He has been off work since August of 2019. We are now in April 2020 and the Covid restrictions did not begin to kick in until late February/early March 2020. That gave him 6-7 full months to schedule the scope on his knee so as not to delay his return from comp.
#1. No one cares what you think.

#2. How do you know that the OP is a kid? You don't. It's just another way to justify yourself looking down on others on here who are honestly posting their situation. Age doesnt dictate IQ...evidently.

#3. He said it just came up after he was cleared to RTW. Please pay attention. Since you dont know his situation dont embellish it.

#4. This job beats the crap out of drivers. I'm sure your knees are worn out from hard floors.

Jeremy, if you're on Teamcare call them and they'll fill you in. Prepare to wait 20 min on hold. Dont worry about what the boss may think. It's your body and your future. They dont care if you skip it and end up in a wheel chair with a knee replacement when you retire. Take care of yourself.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

#3. He said it just came up after he was cleared to RTW. Please pay attention. Since you dont know his situation dont embellish it.

Are you actually saying that at the end of the 6-7 months that he spent "rehabbing" his knee suddenly started acting up and the it was imperative that he get it scoped before going back to work?

The reality is he waited until the end and got caught up in the Covid crisis which resulted in all elective surgeries being postponed or cancelled. He probably did plan on having it done near the end of his time off so as to be good to go when he was cleared to return.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
That is frankly none of your business.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.

Are you actually saying that at the end of the 6-7 months that he spent "rehabbing" his knee suddenly started acting up and the it was imperative that he get it scoped before going back to work?

The reality is he waited until the end and got caught up in the Covid crisis which resulted in all elective surgeries being postponed or cancelled. He probably did plan on having it done near the end of his time off so as to be good to go when he was cleared to return.
I'm not saying anything. It's not my post and nothing according to your interpretation matters.

No one can second guess anyone else's physical condition(s).
Neither can you tell when a car will hit you as you're walking across the street.

Your opinion is what it is but I think you can read the story, try to help answer the question for him, and quit painting outside the lines to make someone feel worse than they already do.

Robretro

But, there is an ME.

Six months to rehab a knee ?

The only way you would know if you needed it scoped, is with an MRI.

And then.... it's a six week recovery.
Yes, many knee and shoulder surgeries need 6 months recovery now. Better surgeries but require more healing time or risk injuring it again.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Perhaps but you know damn well it will be the first question out of his center manager's mouth when he tells him that he needs to take 2 more weeks off.
So what.
It still isn't any of your concern.

If we need help getting hit by a car whilst jaywalking or disposing of a dead cat we will ask you.

You need to mind your own :censored2:ing business.

You also need to quit posting like you promised.

You are a racist bitter old fat :censored2: that needs to go away permanently.

Last edited:

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Perhaps but you know damn well it will be the first question out of his center manager's mouth when he tells him that he needs to take 2 more weeks off.
I doubt that. Some management saves the fire and brimstone for their Thursday meetings.

Most centers employ more than 25 drivers like yours did. There's not an atmosphere in the larger buildings whereas the boss can be Jed and the workers Jethro.
They can whine about the aging workforce having physical problems but they know it's coming, given that we are loaded up 40-50% more than in the 90s when the top seniority drivers came into the system.

Our workers comp occurrences have always been extremely high and the massive size and weight of irregs and furniture arent helping us with longevity.

We have drivers in their late 40s getting multiple shoulder and joint surgeries. Those same drivers are the strongest built guys I know and they work out regularly. It's the new norm at ups. Even if you use the methods and call for teamster help the work is very taxing on your body.
Keep jacking up the stops and repetitive injuries will be jacked up as well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You simply don't get it.

The kid was off for 6-7 months rehabbing an injury. He also knew that he was having issues with his knee and that it would need to be scoped before going back to work. Rather than waiting until he fully recovers from the primary injury before having his knee scoped, why not try to schedule the procedure toward the end of the 6-7 months so that it would not further hamper his recovery effort and allow him to return to work on his original timeline.

Over70irregs

Yes you can use STD. If the company refuses to give you light duty work file for unemployment too. You'll have a waiting week but paid for the second week.

It's not that hard and with a bonafide doctors report that you need it done then it'll be no one else's business what you do. You probably need to call HRSC and you'll bypass the management office explanation. Its not their business.
Worry about you. No backing down.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
You simply don't get it.

The kid was off for 6-7 months rehabbing an injury. He also knew that he was having issues with his knee and that it would need to be scoped before going back to work. Rather than waiting until he fully recovers from the primary injury before having his knee scoped, why not try to schedule the procedure toward the end of the 6-7 months so that it would not further hamper his recovery effort and allow him to return to work on his original timeline.
You're condescending and a troll.

People come in here to hear encouragement and to get some wisdom. The dont need to be run off by your childish rants. Kid.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
i mean did you already tell them that youre ready for full release on a specific date? just get the doctor to not release you for another 2 weeks while you get that knee :censored2: done if not

35years

Gravy route

You are being a putz. He said it is a separate injury from the one that has kept him out.

He said he found out just last week he needs the knee worked on. You say he has had 6-7 months to get it done. You are so quick to assume people are lazy or scamming.

Show some compassion. This guy is hurting. He is probally going to have to return to work with a bum knee and be in pain till he gets it worked on.

You have pulled this crap on so many people who come to this forum for advice over the years.

Why do you feel the need to assume the worst in people?

35years

Gravy route

You are being a putz. He said it is a separate injury from the one that has kept him out.

He said he found out just last week he needs the knee worked on. You say he has had 6-7 months to get it done. You are so quick to assume people are lazy or scamming.

Show some compassion. This guy is hurting. He is probally going to have to return to work with a bum knee and be in pain till he gets it worked on.

You have pulled this crap on so many people who come to this forum for advice over the years.

35years

Gravy route