Short term disability

Cateye77

Hello,everyone. I was looking for similar questions in the search, I didn’t really find anything comparable to my situation . Here’s my story I have been part-time with UPS for 13 years. A month ago I was in a severe accident. I was life flighted from my property to the nearest hospital, Who dealt with head trauma. I am currently on short term disability. This is where I’m confused, I was just a few hours shy of the 1,250 for FMLA. My healthcare, and disability payment was a approved. From what I’m reading in the Union handbook it sounds like it is only 6 weeks coverage. From my Neurologists perspective I will be out 8 weeks. I am in contact with My center manager , he’s aware of everything. With the outsourced Company who deals with the disability requirements, I can’t get an exact answer on the extended coverage. Also the Company Hr rep hasn’t returned any of my calls. Any insight would be appreciated. Didn’t really want to post here , just looking for help. Thsnks

Cateye77

Did you call your local and speak with your business agent?
Yes in a nut shell . They said don’t worry about... Everything is taken care of with your Short term disability.Focus on getting better. I am just trying to understand, if Short term and FMLA corespond with each other. I don’t want any surprises, that my healthcare expired....

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Yes in a nut shell . They said don’t worry about... Everything is taken care of with your Short term disability.Focus on getting better. I am just trying to understand, if Short term and FMLA corespond with each other. I don’t want any surprises, that my healthcare expired....

I know you said you were a few hours short and this might not apply, but, just so you know, here in Central, they take your FMLA concurrently with the STD until it is exhausted. If for some reason, you have FMLA, at 6 weeks you wont have any.

Cateye77

I know you said you were a few hours short and this might not apply, but, just so you know, here in Central, they take your FMLA concurrently with the STD until it is exhausted. If for some reason, you have FMLA, at 6 weeks you wont have any.

The Company who handles the FMLA and short term disability. They report to teamcare. So obviously I was approved. I still have my benefits and have been receiving a weekly disability check. I never received anything in writing that I did not qualify for FMLA, from the company who handles this for UPS.

Cateye77

The Company who handles the FMLA and short term disability. They report to teamcare. So obviously I was approved. I still have my benefits and have been receiving a weekly disability check. I never received anything in writing that I did not qualify for FMLA, from the company who handles this for UPS.
They told me over the phone I didn’t qualify for FMLA.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
They told me over the phone I didn’t qualify for FMLA.
I'm just passing on my experience and giving you a heads up. If you use all your disability, you won't have any FMLA.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

You have already been approved for STD (Short Term Disability)

You get up to 26 weeks of STD, and you keep your Medical as long as you are on STD.

If you're eligible for FMLA, which is an unpaid benefit, UPS may run it concurrent with your STD.

You still collect STD payments and keep your medical, but also use up your allotted FMLA time.

Cateye77

You have already been approved for STD (Short Term Disability)

You get up to 26 weeks of STD, and you keep your Medical as long as you are on STD.

If you're eligible for FMLA, which is an unpaid benefit, UPS may run it concurrent with your STD.

You still collect STD payments and keep your medical, but also use up your allotted FMLA time.
Thank you. That makes the most sense, I have heard so far. I have never taken time off like this before. I am self employed. I have been with UPS for 13 years. From what I understand being part-time I didn’t have the 1,250 hours for FMLA. I guess I got a little confused FMLA and Short term are two different things.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Thank you. That makes the most sense, I have heard so far. I have never taken time off like this before. I am self employed. I have been with UPS for 13 years. From what I understand being part-time I didn’t have the 1,250 hours for FMLA. I guess I got a little confused FMLA and Short term are two different things.

FMLA is unpaid leave usually used if you need to take care of someone else who may be ill.

You cannot go on STD to care for a spouse or child, so you use FMLA for that scenario. But, it can also be used if you are unable to work due to a health condition, so they sometimes deduct your amount of leave for the time you are on STD.

It is STD that pays you and keeps your medical insurance current.