Should a tip be based on the waitperson's sexual orientation or lifestyle?

Should a tip be based on the waitperson's sexual orientation or lifestyle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No but a tip shouldn't be based on how much u spend either. It should be based on the quality of service.

I agree with that and I also will tend to tip $3 on a $7 bill especially if I got a lot of refills on coffee (breakfast).

On those rare occasions when we eat at a place where the bill is over $50, it is 15% with good service.

rod

Retired 22 years
I tend to tip more if they leave me alone and quit bothering me with "is everything ok?-----hows your food?" everytime I take a bite. Believe me if everthing isn't ok or my food tastes like crap I will let you know.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I tend to tip more if they leave me alone and quit bothering me with "is everything ok?-----hows your food?" everytime I take a bite. Believe me if everthing isn't ok or my food tastes like crap I will let you know.

Another example of why you hold the title of the most

Grouchy Old Fart

oldngray

nowhere special
OldFartXingL394.jpg

Nimnim

The Nim
I try to tip well when I actually sit down at a place, if it's a takeout order it's a tossup. When I sit down though how am I supposed to know the servers sexual orientation or lifestyle? I came to the place for food not to hear about how the server lives their life. Someone in this thread mentioned how these kinda lifestyles aren't a choice, but I beg to differ not from a true biological standpoint, but from a "trendy" young person standpoint. I've seen way too many people on social networks and in person of the younger generation (like 25 and younger) who will actively change if they're straight/gay/bi/trans/whatever because of what's popular in the groups they are around now. The science isn't conclusive enough for me to say that homosexuality is a complete genetic thing or whatever, but it doesn't even matter to me, if that's how a person is fine, it's the people who do it to be trendy that causes problems. Anyways, I'm deviating now, if I go to a place and get service at a table you get a tip unless you suck, if you do really well the tip will be better. If the server makes it a point to impress their lifestyle upon me, it's more likely to get a reduction of the tip since that's not what I went to the location for food/service for.

I really don't care until people try to "inform" me of it.

Edit: As far as the poll goes I say "No, until the server makes it an issue."

rod

Retired 22 years
I see now the couple who supposedly stiffed this waitress because she is gay has come forward with their copy of the receipt and their credit card statement showing that they had indeed tipped the waitress (actually about 20%). Something is really fishy here. This waitress has collected thousands of dollars in donations from people who felt sorry for her. I hope they stick with this story and the truth comes out.

CaliforniaPaul

I see now the couple who supposedly stiffed this waitress because she is gay has come forward with their copy of the receipt and their credit card statement showing that they had indeed tipped the waitress (actually about 20%). Something is really fishy here. This waitress has collected thousands of dollars in donations from people who felt sorry for her. I hope they stick with this story and the truth comes out.

I hope Nancy sent her a check!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I saw this story this morning on the Today show. The couple tipped her $18 and showed not only the receipt, which did not have any writing on it, but their copy of their credit card statement. I truly hope that this waitress did not pull a scam but it sure looks like she may have.

Wasn't there an amendment to the story that the restaurant comped a meal on the check and used the money instead as the tip for their waitress? If so would that amended amount then show as tip for tax purposes?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I saw this story this morning on the Today show. The couple tipped her $18 and showed not only the receipt, which did not have any writing on it, but their copy of their credit card statement. I truly hope that this waitress did not pull a scam but it sure looks like she may have.
Assuming for a second the incident actually happened, what kind of person would accept thousands of dollars in donations because some couple stiffed you out of a $20 tip?? It's not like her house burned down or something and she lost everything....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Assuming for a second the incident actually happened, what kind of person would accept thousands of dollars in donations because some couple stiffed you out of a $20 tip??

It wasn't just the tip----it was what was supposedly written on the receipt as the reason for not leaving a tip that led to the donations. I mean, who writes that on a receipt? I guess someone looking to take advantage of a situation by slandering an innocent couple and defrauding all those stupid enough (including me) to have fallen for her story.

What kind of person does this? The same type of person who claims that one of their children has cancer.

oldngray

nowhere special
The way the waitress immediately tried to get attention about it seemed fishy to me. The whole situation just didn't make sense and I wondered if it was staged to create a media buzz about gay rights.