Should I go for it?

abite

I am a Freshman in college, and have been working at UPS (In Wa) for just over a month now. I'm a morning preloader (Gotta love the hours :P) and my supervisor mentioned they're looking for a new supe because one is retiring, and they can't find one. Supposedly they've even considered pulling off the street for one... My question, should I go for the position? my supe said it would be a good option, and I have a decent chance at getting the job as I understand things better than someone off the streets. I could use the extra pay at 16.50 rather than my 11.00 and the tuition reimbursement would cover college tuition... Is it worth it? Thanks!

UPS4Life

Are you planning on being here long term like a career or just to earn some cash through college? If your goal is to be a driver I would say no. I say no because it will be more difficult to go full time driving.

If you don't plan on being here for life and just need some cash to get through college I would say yes. I would for the fact you're getting paid more now and the college plan gives part time sups more than hourly employee's.

Sent using BrownCafe App

abite

It's more of a temporary thing through college. I don't see a future past that necessarily (who knows, but that's the plan). My hub doesn't even currently offer the college plan to preloaders, so I get nada. Management on the other hand... haha. So there's one yes, would love to hear some other opinions as well! :)Thank you UPS4Life

F

FrigidAdCorrector

It's a heck of a lot different than being a preloader, I can tell you that. The money for school is nice, but it is a lot tougher. Make sure you have a thick skin. I don't regret moving to management. But there are certainly some downfalls.

nicky

I tell people all the time if you want to shorten your time at UPS go into management. Think about it from this perspective, why is it that nobody else will take the job? Why is that they are having to look into hiring a manager off the street? If this were a good career move wouldnt there be anyone that had been there a while willing to take the job? In my area managers get a 10% raise when the first start, yours may be different but if they have to offer a 50%+ raise to get anyone to go... Just try to think about it from all angles before you pull that trigger.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I tell people all the time if you want to shorten your time at UPS go into management. Think about it from this perspective, why is it that nobody else will take the job?
Not every center/hub is as hostile as yours. All of our PT sups have been with the company at least a year. The last two have only left due to their military obligations.

nicky

Our hub has had to hire about 50% of the part timers off the street... Nobody will take the job, the 50% that do go from in the building all have less than 3 months with the company. So we have a problem in that people who dont know how to do the job are in charge of other people who dont know how to do the job. The ones above them are clinically insane so it simply perpetuates the problem because they newbies are doing what they are told to do because they dont know any better. I know of the 68 on roads I have had at least a couple were straight off the street hires to on road. Its comical having them tell me how to do the job I have been doing for 10+ years with their 30 days experience.

nicky

Frigid if his center isnt like mine why are they having to look at 1 month employees and off the street hires? If his building were a great place to work wouldnt it stand to reason that employees would want to move up.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yeah if it's temporary during college go for it. You will likely be badly verbally abused by management above you and be expected to compromise your ethics, but if you're ok with that it would be a better hourly wage for you and looks good on a resume to an outsider.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
No its not and ups prefers people off the street that have never worked here . Sorry to burst your fantasy bubble.

abite

upsbeeernet, where do you get that impression? Everything I've heard has been that they'd rather have someone who knows the process and the building and can manage a belt... it seems only logical that that would be the case.

PT Car Washer

Go for it. What do you really have to lose? You will make a lot more money then you could being a PT hourly. Of course you will be working about 2/3 of a FT job so time management will be an important consideration. Along with not having any unscheduled time off.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
upsbeeernet, where do you get that impression? Everything I've heard has been that they'd rather have someone who knows the process and the building and can manage a belt... it seems only logical that that would be the case.
To manage a belt, one has to be trained correctly, and last time I checked nobody is trained correctly. Ask anybody on here about someone actually being trained correctly. The only time someone is trained correctly is if a driver is training somebody, cause they know the ins and outs of how the job is supposed to be done correctly.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
To manage a belt, one has to be trained correctly, and last time I checked nobody is trained correctly. Ask anybody on here about someone actually being trained correctly. The only time someone is trained correctly is if a driver is training somebody, cause they know the ins and outs of how the job is supposed to be done correctly.
PT sups learn by trial and error/buttchewing, not by training. That would make too much sense.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

PT sups learn by trial and error/buttchewing, not by training. That would make too much sense.
Sad but true. They make you do about 25 modules in training, but almost none of them help with the actual job.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am a Freshman in college, and have been working at UPS (In Wa) for just over a month now. I'm a morning preloader (Gotta love the hours :P) and my supervisor mentioned they're looking for a new supe because one is retiring, and they can't find one. Supposedly they've even considered pulling off the street for one... My question, should I go for the position? my supe said it would be a good option, and I have a decent chance at getting the job as I understand things better than someone off the streets. I could use the extra pay at 16.50 rather than my 11.00 and the tuition reimbursement would cover college tuition... Is it worth it? Thanks!
"Is it worth it", well there's only one way to find out. Someone else's experience certainly won't match yours.

My question is this; how much more reimbursement difference is there between PT supervisor, and PT hourly, where you are?