Should I move to feeders?

brown67

Need info from all of you feeder drivers. I work in a small center in northern Colorado. We have 3 feeder drivers and 2 of them have 31 years in and will be retiring when the contract is up in 2 years. I've been in package cars for 13 years and want to move to feeders to save my body and make it to retirement.

UPS runs feeder schools a couple of times a year, so all I need to do is get to feeder school and get my CDL. Once I'm qualified all I need to do is wait til one of these guys leaves and I can bid into the job. Most package drivers here don't want to work nights, so I shouldn't have any problems getting in. The last feeder slot that opened up went to a driver that only had a couple years in.

I would keep all of my seniority and not have to start over as the low guy on the feeder seniorty poll. Most likely I would be the top guy out of the 3 when these 2 retire.

What do you think. Should I move?

disneyworld

brown67 said:
Need info from all of you feeder drivers. I work in a small center in northern Colorado. We have 3 feeder drivers and 2 of them have 31 years in and will be retiring when the contract is up in 2 years. I've been in package cars for 13 years and want to move to feeders to save my body and make it to retirement.

UPS runs feeder schools a couple of times a year, so all I need to do is get to feeder school and get my CDL. Once I'm qualified all I need to do is wait til one of these guys leaves and I can bid into the job. Most package drivers here don't want to work nights, so I shouldn't have any problems getting in. The last feeder slot that opened up went to a driver that only had a couple years in.

I would keep all of my seniority and not have to start over as the low guy on the feeder seniorty poll. Most likely I would be the top guy out of the 3 when these 2 retire.

What do you think. Should I move?
In a word,YES.Don't look back.Good Luck

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
it will be the best thing you will ever do besides retirement by the time i was 38 i was burnt out. you will mostly work nites yes but you make better money lot less stress and no ware on your already beat down body.you will get more done around the house and will see the kids more.maybe your wife will like you more to (ha ha} my wife loved the change in my attitude. feeders 4 years and love it good luck to you,you wont be sorry mike

brown67

mwoods725 said:
it will be the best thing you will ever do besides retirement by the time i was 38 i was burnt out. you will mostly work nites yes but you make better money lot less stress and no ware on your already beat down body.you will get more done around the house and will see the kids more.maybe your wife will like you more to (ha ha} my wife loved the change in my attitude. feeders 4 years and love it good luck to you,you wont be sorry mike

That's what our feeder drivers are telling me. If you get your sleep, and don't mind nights its a great job. I'm 38 and 16 years of UPS (3 preloading 13 driving) is starting to take its toll on me. Sprained my ankle for the 4th time on the 2nd to last day of peak last year and that was the final straw for me. I'm getting tired of the aches and pains that go with the job. A couple of months ago I talked with one of our feeder drivers and he said many of the same things you did. Especially about the wear and tear and your body.

So many drivers seem to have some serious injury in their 40's and then fight with it and the company for the rest of their career. I like UPS, but it is hard on the body and I would like to make it 30 years if I can.

ozzey

i was a package driver who is now a feeder driver. 26 years. first of all never count on someone retire-ing until they do... i m very skeptical on that. working nights can be great or a bitch depends on the person. if you or the wrong person ..your family could suffer. would i do it if i was you, yes...but you should spend time talking it over with your family. be prepared for a BIG change..Like getting divorced and suffering but getting a better wife.LOL

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
ozzey said:
i was a package driver who is now a feeder driver. 26 years. first of all never count on someone retire-ing until they do... i m very skeptical on that. working nights can be great or a bitch depends on the person. if you or the wrong person ..your family could suffer. would i do it if i was you, yes...but you should spend time talking it over with your family. be prepared for a BIG change..Like getting divorced and suffering but getting a better wife.LOL

oZZEy such an optimist ! :lol: 19 years in Packages and my body thanks me for going to feeders. Packages are what will kill ya. The only packages i touch for the last 5.5 years is ones i order from E-Bay !!!!!!

18wheelbrownie

dammed right you should go to feeders, with ups for 20 yrs , 15 with feeders ,have 2 maybe retiring soon , maybe , but i am :thumbup1: in the best feeder position right now ,just glad i don't have to deliver pkgs till i am 62. because central states took away our 25 or 30 and out. wake up pkg drivers. this is your only way out. :thumbup1:

brown67

That's the whole point. I want to retire w/o a wheel chair.
Talked with my wife about it and she loves the idea. When we looked at the schedule of our feeders it works out much better for us. More hours with the family than now. I'm lucky to see my youngest son for an hour in the evening before he goes to bed.

Covemastah

just do it if it dosnt work out its only a year then you bid back to bundles 2 year commitment if u.p.s trains you in their school i'm sure you will love it only time you get stressed is when it snows.just take it slow they dont break your balls the just want you &the bundles back safe ,after you get your feet wet you will love this job mike:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

DS

Fenderbender
You better sign up at the gym,because feeders is a lot less physical than driving a pkg car.If you dont you will get fat.

brown67

double_standard said:
You better sign up at the gym,because feeders is a lot less physical than driving a pkg car.If you dont you will get fat.

That's what I told my wife. Every time I take a week off for vacation I put on 5lbs. Times that by 52.:w00t:

brown67

mwoods725 said:
just do it if it dosnt work out its only a year then you bid back to bundles 2 year commitment if u.p.s trains you in their school i'm sure you will love it only time you get stressed is when it snows.just take it slow they dont break your balls the just want you &the bundles back safe ,after you get your feet wet you will love this job mike:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

What happens when it snows? Does everyone just work longer night?

Covemastah

roadking said:
Been in for a month, like working for a diff. company, nights are not easy still adjusting. Good luck!!!
hang in there wuold you rather come home at 8 pm burnt out ???? go look in a pkg car in the morning and you will thank GOD YOU ARE IN FEEDERS MIKE:ohmy: :ohmy: :lol:

Dutch Dawg

browniehound said:
Will they let you get your class A if you take Paxil (anti-anxiety med)?

If you pass the physical for package, you'll pass the physical for feeders.

Reading the original post and noticing how we can work for the same company, yet have a different set of rules. In our local when one transitions from package to feeders, they go to the bottom of the feeder seniority list. We are not offered periodic feeder schools. When one wins the bid for feeder or feeder coverage, you're given a week from notification to pass the CDL written to obtain a permit and the company trains you, that's all there is to it. One week unpaid classroom and generally a second week paid driving.

What you refer to as snow is white gold.

Last edited:
A

Anonymous Gearjammer

Wish we had classification seniority here, approx. 27 years full-time here to get anything close to the big road. Snow you can see, BEWARE THE ICE, and remember you have to drive for everyone else around you. So, slow enough to stop when they pass you and spin out in front of you.

brown67 said:
You are regulated on hours driving. There`s a provision for emergency time during inclimate weather but it`s still posible to run out. When that happens find a safe place to park and call your sup for a ride,on the clock of course.:)
For a newbe the hours can suck but it`s made up for in other areas. Pay oppourtunity is there also,right now we`re getting double time on mondays and only working 8 hr fridays. Should hit 100k this year.