Should I take a part time courier job with fedex or get my cdl?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
damn it's really that bad? I've heard such good things and some
bad thing. a buddy of mine worked there for 4 years and loved it but left only because he didn't get full time

If you want to let Fred pay to train you and then bail for a real job, take the CTV training, get some experience, and then hire on at a union carrier.

l22

Yep....No one wants to be an RTD driver anymore. Our last 3 people that came in were handlers that have been with the company less than a year. The postings have waivers so they were able to slide right in.

Why does no one want to be a RTD anymore? It seems like a good job considering you're on the road driving for most of it. I thought there are very few RTD positions available because no one wants to give that job up haha I see that you're saying otherwise though..

yadig

FedEx is reaping what it has sown.. Low wages and no top out in the next 30 years has made it a undesirable job for truckers. A sinking ship!!! The smart rats are jumping off!! Our VP said they are aware of the problem keeping RTD's and are gonna address it this year. LOL!! LMFAO!! Heard that last year and year before.. Get CDL and get out!

Artee

Why does no one want to be a RTD anymore? It seems like a good job considering you're on the road driving for most of it. I thought there are very few RTD positions available because no one wants to give that job up haha I see that you're saying otherwise though..

A few big reasons is that 90% of the postings are part time. All part timers work weekends. You will be working nights or overnight. One route starts at midnight and doesn't get off until close to 11am. You will work only 20 hours a week, unless they have a need to call you at home, so you can come in during the week and probably work an overnight layover route. Most full time couriers that work 6am-6pm, m-friend, are not going to take something like that with no guarantee of full time in the future. And if full time does come up it will be night work. If you don't have 25+ years in at our location, you won't even be close to sniffing a daytime route. Not many couriers looking for work like that.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
and most newb RTDs at my location are cover drivers. One week their start time may be midnight, and the next week may be noon - real attractive that. Talk about not having a life.

Artee

and most newb RTDs at my location are cover drivers. One week their start time may be midnight, and the next week may be noon - real attractive that. Talk about not having a life.

Our RT got away from that. If you are a swing driver you either cover days or nights. No more bouncing back and forth.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our RT got away from that. If you are a swing driver you either cover days or nights. No more bouncing back and forth.

Ex-RTD here, and I stay in touch with my buds at the ramp. Our RT also got away from the swings covering both shifts...insane. Currently, they have too many drivers, many of whom haven't gone to class, and not enough trucks. As others have said, it is usually PT to start, and could be a long time until FT depending on your location. Areas that are close to major trucking hubs lose RTDs faster than more remote regions. My guess is that WalMart etc. let Fred do the training, and then fill their slots.

WalMart pays well and has good equipment, but is OTR. Union carriers are starting to hire again for city drivers and short-line haul, both better bets than FedEx.

I agree that they'll do nothing to stem the flow of RTDs away from FedEx, just as they don't seem to care about the revolving door of couriers, which is stupid. When freight sits because you don't have truck drivers or trucks to move it, you need to look at who your "leadership team" is.

I rest my case.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I agree that they'll do nothing to stem the flow of RTDs away from FedEx, just as they don't seem to care about the revolving door of couriers, which is stupid. When freight sits because you don't have truck drivers or trucks to move it, you need to look at who your "leadership team" is.
Over 40 years in the freight business and they can't get packages moved.

Beyond pathetic.

TeamLift

thanks for your thought. I'm not looking to get a cdl for over the road driving. something local (hopefully)

Local is very hard to get because everybody wants to be home every night, you will wait in a long line for that to come true unless you have some good connections. Huge need for over the road, but here's how that goes, imagine someone talking to you at a gas station and you realize real quick you don't like him or her, now imagine having to get in a truck with said person and spending 7 days or more with them, that's over the road and it sucks. If you can find a friend to run with cool, but remember this, the trucking industry will bone you every bit as hard as FedEx will, been down that road before.

TeamLift

Cdl all the way. Since fedex is probably part time you can do both. I got my cdl at a technical college while part time at ups. Some even offer weekend programs. There is a big demand for cdl drivers

There are two different companies at my hub that are looking for drivers to drive from the hub to Californication and back, 100 percent drop and hook and real good money, about 12 to 15 hundred bucks per week with vacation, health subsidy, paid holidays and more. Hub to Hub is a great gig, no waiting to unload at a dock with hundreds of other drivers, just pull in, drop your trailers, go inside and find out which trailers you will be bringing back.