Should It Come As A Surprise?

Thebrownblob

It's a pick your poison type of thing. Status quo = a massive failure at ground and forcing a higher pay structure and more power to contractors or incur the costs to merge and become one efficient all employee model like UPS. FedEx painted themselves into a corner and either direction is going to hurt but only one will give them total control and and long-term stability.
Hearing you say UPS is efficient makes me wonder how bad FedEx is 😂

floridays

Those days are long past us. Neither of us would make a habit of paying someone more than his work is worth and no business that wants to stay in business is going to do that, either.
Please explain this in todays environment. I'm picking your mind, how you think.
I heard they are paying 1000 dollars for referrals at the Memphis hub, is this true?

bbsam

Staff member
It's not a case where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. At FDX the left hand doesn't even know that there is a right hand.
The left hand and right hand are aware of each other. They just don’t see themselves on the same body.

1655599686939.gif
1655599686939.gif

bbsam

Staff member
My opinion is that the top of FedEx is made up of a bunch of “Yes” people who congratulate themselves on staying the course of company annihilation with the self deception that they are being fiscally sound.

floridays

Fred S

SMITH: Well, we do. The inflation in the last quarter was about 5.4%. There is so much money. Demand is about 15% higher for goods today than it was in February 2020. And there are supply constraints. And in the case of- of energy, the demand coming back much more rapidly than people thought it would has raised the prices of energy. But we believe that the inflation will in the middle of '22, begin to- to drift down a bit. But the main thing is to unclog the supply chains, which are having problems because of the so-called bullwhip effect, the lack of employment and our inability to improve our infrastructure over the last 20 years. All three of those have- have had a big effect on the availability of moving goods through our system.

MAKAVELI

My opinion is that the top of FedEx is made up of a bunch of “Yes” people who congratulate themselves on staying the course of company annihilation with the self deception that they are being fiscally sound.
It's even worse than that. As long as their 7 figure salaries, stock options, bonuses, and golden parachutes keep coming, they'll keep being yes people.

floridays

They believe their press clippings.

Management under the top, down to the frontline managers are yes people, as a whole, no spine and yes people that have their own bills to pay. Chicken :poop: s with no voice unless busting subordinate ass.

My opinion.

Burn the mother down

bbsam

Staff member
Fred S

SMITH: Well, we do. The inflation in the last quarter was about 5.4%. There is so much money. Demand is about 15% higher for goods today than it was in February 2020. And there are supply constraints. And in the case of- of energy, the demand coming back much more rapidly than people thought it would has raised the prices of energy. But we believe that the inflation will in the middle of '22, begin to- to drift down a bit. But the main thing is to unclog the supply chains, which are having problems because of the so-called bullwhip effect, the lack of employment and our inability to improve our infrastructure over the last 20 years. All three of those have- have had a big effect on the availability of moving goods through our system.
He talks about inflation but holds to the idea that somehow contractor costs should somehow just drain contractor profits that were slim to begin with.

We have a phrase amongst contractors in our building that has become far to evident and true.:

They understand. They just don’t care.

bbsam

Staff member
It's even worse than that. As long as their 7 figure salaries, stock options, bonuses, and golden parachutes keep coming, they'll keep being yes people.
And nobody holds them accountable because they have hundreds to blame the failures on.

Mutineer

They understand. They just don’t care.
The current state of affairs with XG contractors reminds me of something:

From the 70's to the early 90's, a friend of mine was a MAC Tools dealer. He had the yellow/white stepvan and drove around to local auto repair shops selling tools. Exactly the same as you see Snap-On and Matco today.

As the years went on he prospered, his territory grew, and he seemed happy.

In the early 90's he began having trouble getting tools and service parts from MAC corporate in order to keep his customers happy. The reply from corporate was all blaming outside issues (strikes, supplies, acts of God, yada yada yada, etc) His business shrank and suffered accordingly. This dragged for a few years until his business withered and died.

A month or so after he quit, one day he noticed a shiny, new MAC Tools van chock full of new, shiny MAC tools in his former territory. Upon interrogating the driver, it was obvious that my friend, and many other MAC tool dealers had been intentionally ruined and sabotaged by the company in order to make way for new dealers. The biggest question is: Why? I don't think anyone knows the answer. And I haven't seen a MAC Tools truck in about 20 years.

This all sounds counter-productive, ridiculous, and wasteful to everyone involved with MAC tools. But that's what happened.

bacha29

The current state of affairs with XG contractors reminds me of something:

From the 70's to the early 90's, a friend of mine was a MAC Tools dealer. He had the yellow/white stepvan and drove around to local auto repair shops selling tools. Exactly the same as you see Snap-On and Matco today.

As the years went on he prospered, his territory grew, and he seemed happy.

In the early 90's he began having trouble getting tools and service parts from MAC corporate in order to keep his customers happy. The reply from corporate was all blaming outside issues (strikes, supplies, acts of God, yada yada yada, etc) His business shrank and suffered accordingly. This dragged for a few years until his business withered and died.

A month or so after he quit, one day he noticed a shiny, new MAC Tools van chock full of new, shiny MAC tools in his former territory. Upon interrogating the driver, it was obvious that my friend, and many other MAC tool dealers had been intentionally ruined and sabotaged by the company in order to make way for new dealers. The biggest question is: Why? I don't think anyone knows the answer. And I haven't seen a MAC Tools truck in about 20 years.

This all sounds counter-productive, ridiculous, and wasteful to everyone involved with MAC tools. But that's what happened.
The experiences of your friend were exactly the same as those experienced by a guy I know who had a Snap On franchise/sales contract. After overpaying to buy it from the previous holder commissions , support , tool quality went down and down with it went brand loyalty In the end he sold it for whatever he could salvage out of it.

The contract lugging of boxes for Fat Freddy is becoming a similar story. The ground contractors who believe that their salvation lies in hauling Express freight are only kidding themselves. They'll be hauling more boxes on near nonexistent margins and subjected to very stiff and punishing penalties for not making time commitments.

Once upon a time hauling B to B boxes for Roadway while not perfect it was something you could live with. But, when Fat Freddy and his lap dogs got a hold of it several Express employees told me that it would not be a pleasant experience...They were correct.

Two, three years ago FXG contracts were in hot demand but thanks only to contract flipping speculators and above market margins. Today, thanks to Fat Freddy having shifted the balance decidedly back in his favor both the margins and the speculators are long gone.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Please explain this in todays environment. I'm picking your mind, how you think.
I heard they are paying 1000 dollars for referrals at the Memphis hub, is this true?
Explain this in today's environment. OK, here goes: it makes no sense to pay more for something than it is worth.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
My old brief aborted career was in radio. The same thing happened there. Voice tracking and automation replaced tons of jobs.

Here's how it works. Joe DJ (who not even live in the same state) is given a playlist for a 6 hour shift. They also give him some info on local news and events. He spends an hour recording all the talk for that shift. Someone pieces it together with the music and stores it on a hard drive. When the shift starts, they play the thing and it sounds just like a live DJ.

And that's "My Generation" by The Who, and before that we had "Bad Moon Rising" by CCR, and that li'l ol' band from Texas singing about that shack outside Lagrange. It's 23 past the hour and... what about those playoffs? Will the Lakers pull it off tonight or can the Clippers stay alive? Speaking of clippers, head on over to Great Clips this weekend where you can get a men's haircut for $10.75 just by mentioning my name, that's Classic Carl, from Hits 107.5! We'll have news at the bottom of the hour but first, here's a guitar classic by a guitar god, and it's "Layla."

All the radio veterans said it would kill jobs and that the public would hate it. It got rid of some jobs but the public never cared if they noticed it at all.

floridays

All the radio veterans said it would kill jobs and that the public would hate it. It got rid of some jobs but the public never cared if they noticed it at all.
I guess you have never lived in Denver or ever caught 850 KOA late at night.

I'd guess there are hundreds of smaller stations nationwide that are missed, to say the public didn't care if they noticed at all is just another thing you pulled out of your ass.

Syndicated shows are alot cheaper than running local talent. The trade off was a loss of community for the sake of increased profit.

floridays

Explain this in today's environment. OK, here goes: it makes no sense to pay more for something than it is worth.
I'm beginning to understand, thanks for your patience.

It leads me to another question but would you respond first to the one you left unanswered in my previous post.

If you'll just take my little hand you can walk me through this.

I can still hear my dad in my head,

"Son, you ask to many questions."

Continue to have patience with me and answer what's asked, it's one way I choose to learn.