Should It Come As A Surprise?

It will be fine

Soft because we were trained to follow DOT rules? Soft because we don’t keep all the doors open with the truck nose first and running at every stop? Maybe it’s soft because we don’t release wine shipments to little kids or leave guns without signatures idk.
I can list a hundred other reasons.
Physically weak, mentally elitist and entitled, just all around soft people.

Mutineer

How many contractors would want to hire former express guys? I’ve hired a few over the years and they don’t work out, too soft.
"too soft" is a bit harsh. Simply realizing very quickly that they went from the frying pan, into the fire, and are wasting no time in undoing that mistake.

The very few former Express employees that I saw come to Ground never hung around long enough for me to corner and ask: "what the hell were you thinking?"

And I don't blame them.
where are you going to get the contractors to take on the Express freight when there are barely enough to handle the existing Ground freight?
I strongly suspect that if contractors are shown the $, and are treated with a shred of looong overdue respect, they will handle it.

bbsam

Staff member
You make snide generalities about Express drivers, then take umbrage at someone turning it around on you?

Yes, we all realize how ridiculous you sound.
No umbrage whatsoever. What I said is 100% true. Or would you like to point out what I’m wrong about?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I strongly suspect that if contractors are shown the $, and are treated with a shred of looong overdue respect, they will handle it.
But the problem right now is said to be that FDX isn't willing to pony up the $ for contractors to keep running the high margin freight -- what's the incentive for FDX to pony up even more $ to them to take the lower margin freight?

Mutineer

But the problem right now is said to be that FDX isn't willing to pony up the $ for contractors to keep running the high margin freight -- what's the incentive for FDX to pony up even more $ to them to take the lower margin freight?
I admit I don't have an answer for that conundrum. But if FedEx is indeed having the problems that we are informed of, something needs to change. Like maybe more closely copying other businesses that are succeeding.

Another thing to consider is that once upon a time, FedEx didn't seem to have these problems. What changed?

...and maybe NOT treating their contractors and drivers like slack-jawed pinheads, and utter disposable garbage is a notion worth considering. Respect doesn't cost anything.

Or resorting to the usual cry of "weee neeed mooore werrrkers." Which translates to advocating for open border policies, work visas, and amnesty for people who's purpose is to undermine working-class citizens.

I think the toxic personalities running FedEx will allow it to go the way of the former Soviet Union. One fine day the whole rotten structure collapsed inward upon itself.

59 Dano

I admit I don't have an answer for that conundrum. But if FedEx is indeed having the problems that we are informed of, something needs to change. Like maybe more closely copying other businesses that are succeeding.

Another thing to consider is that once upon a time, FedEx didn't seem to have these problems. What changed?
Volume went way up and contractors filed a bunch of lawsuits that effectively put a lot of other contractors out of business.

bbsam

Staff member
1655774289884.gif

bbsam

Staff member
If they can’t make money on the low margin freight, don’t take it. Yes. It’s that simple.

59 Dano

If they can’t make money on the low margin freight, don’t take it. Yes. It’s that simple.
They're making money on it. Some think that they should contract it out to make even more money on it, which makes no sense considering there's no one to contract it out to at this moment.

MAKAVELI

Well if that’s all you’ve seen, then I guess that’s how all Ground drivers do it. You do realize how ridiculous that sounds?

And think about it. What Express driver would go to Ground to deliver all that crap for an equal level of compensation let alone less? You can make Express drivers out of Ground drivers. Express to Ground? I don’t see it.
You don't see it because if you're going to accept a heavier workload you might as well switch to UPS. Going from Express to Ground is going backwards and almost all Express drivers know it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It would cost Express a fortune to take on all the assets and operational costs that are currently borne by contractors should Express try to absorb Ground. And should it go the other way around, where are you going to get the contractors to take on the Express freight when there are barely enough to handle the existing Ground freight?
Better get your resume’ up to date, ‘cause it looks like things are gonna go belly up.

Aquaman

They're making money on it. Some think that they should contract it out to make even more money on it, which makes no sense considering there's no one to contract it out to at this moment.
Company is in a pickle. It doesn’t want to be UPS.. but it’s shareholders want it to be UPS.

fedx

Extra Large Package
My old brief aborted career was in radio. The same thing happened there. Voice tracking and automation replaced tons of jobs.

Here's how it works. Joe DJ (who not even live in the same state) is given a playlist for a 6 hour shift. They also give him some info on local news and events. He spends an hour recording all the talk for that shift. Someone pieces it together with the music and stores it on a hard drive. When the shift starts, they play the thing and it sounds just like a live DJ.

And that's "My Generation" by The Who, and before that we had "Bad Moon Rising" by CCR, and that li'l ol' band from Texas singing about that shack outside Lagrange. It's 23 past the hour and... what about those playoffs? Will the Lakers pull it off tonight or can the Clippers stay alive? Speaking of clippers, head on over to Great Clips this weekend where you can get a men's haircut for $10.75 just by mentioning my name, that's Classic Carl, from Hits 107.5! We'll have news at the bottom of the hour but first, here's a guitar classic by a guitar god, and it's "Layla."

All the radio veterans said it would kill jobs and that the public would hate it. It got rid of some jobs but the public never cared if they noticed it at all.

A couple of years ago, I heard a couple of I Heart Radio stations as I was traveling between cities. The two stations were playing the same songs, but one was playing the song about 2 minutes faster. So I could listen to a song on the one station and then when it was over, I could flip to that other station and listen to that song all over. But here's where it got kind of weird. The "DJ" on the one station told a "story" and made it sound like it was a personal story. Then when I flipped to the other station, that other "DJ" told the same exact "story" (word for word) as that other DJ, also making it sound like it was personal to him. So I wondered if these I Heart stations just have a computer as the "DJ" and change the voice around for each station. Either that or there were real people in those 2 stations, but they're being fed with a script what to say when they are talking on air.