Should we UPS drivers fear driverless technology?

In his defense he said it isn’t A LOT of money. It’s not.

Could you raise a family of 4 on 100k a year job that has benefits provided? Sure. But it’s unlikely you’re gonna save much for retirement outside of a pension or save for the kids college or Have expensive hobbies or fund a child’s expensive hobby.

Some people still act like a 6 figure job is a be all end all like this is the 80’s or something.

Is it good money? Yes. Is it a lot of money? No. At least not most places.
Holy cow! We agree. Lol

Dr.Brownz

A driverless car can navigate city streets, one ways, highways, and dirt roads right now and do it safer than you.

Edge cases and weird events, plus parking lots, are all that remain. It's not a question. This exists and is already better than you.

If I wanted to summon my car from 30 minutes away I could do it right now, if they simply enabled the feature. I drive to work without touching the wheel until the parking lot. Country roads. Highways. Stoplights. And a roundabout.

It will still take 8 or 10 years for it to migrate to UPS.

LMAO K. UPS will not do this because they will be afraid of the extreme liability. What happens when they can't blame an accident on "the driver" but on their automated crap-mobile? Unless they get some kind of government waiver to be exempt from all liability (which I doubt will happen because people hate big corporations) they will never do it.

Question, how is this driverless car going to know when a driveway is too icy or not even plowed? Driverless :censored2: might work for cakewalk routes that are exactly the same everyday (still to much unpredictability though IE blocked parking spots) but rural will end up causing accidents or cause MILES more walking for the package moving person, thus not saving any time/money.

What'dyabringmetoday???

If you truly were an ATP, you would know what a MEI is.
So you don't have to google, MEI=multi-engine instructor.

It's what instructors must have to teach multi-engine students and hence build PIC time for ATP aspirations.

But you knew this.......
He can be anybody that he wants to be on the internet. Just like....Big Union Goofball. Lol.

Dr.Brownz

Santa Clarita to Pasadena. Through construction and anything else you'd want to see.

And Elon hasn't even gotten his artificial intelligence engine online for it yet. Thats this year. It's fantastic, and it improves and updates every few days. If you don't think this is real, I don't know what to tell you.

Powerful enough already to make decisions in areas it has not been into before.

Yep I'm sure Elon "owner of multiple publicly traded companies" Musk is being straight up with the public.

quad decade guy

It's what instructors must have to teach multi-engine students and hence build PIC time for ATP aspirations.

But you knew this.......
He/She/it said they were an ATP? They said SIC (second in command)(First Officer). To be fair and clear: You can have PIC time(all you need) without ever instructing. Hard to do but quite possible.

But you knew this......
Dont tell me what I am, you make things up. MEI is an instructor. I am a SIC, I noticed you ignored that. That stands for Second in Command. You are a troll.

oldngray

nowhere special
And you’re not a pilot. You have no ideas what you’re talking about.
giphy.gif

But you knew this.......
If you knew anything about ATP, it’s for Captains, not first officers.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Here’s some food for thought, nothing is more standardized then the trash truck. Same route on the same days picking up the exact same dimensioned box’s in essentially the exact same vehicles. Here you’re even instructed to have them 18” away from your curb exactly 18” away from each other. Are they automated? No!

You guys are caught up on the technological side of this equation all the while ignoring the human element. Autopilot in airplanes were first implemented in 1916 and have advanced to the point that they can take off, fly, and land all themselves. But there is still two pilots at all times. The railways have autopilot yet they have engineers.

We are generations away from our society feeling comfortable with autonomous vehicles zipping up and down the roadways of America.

wilberforce15

Yep I'm sure Elon "owner of multiple publicly traded companies" Musk is being straight up with the public.
I have no idea what you're getting at.

I posted a video of driverless cars perfectly handling construction, bicycles, multiple freeway interchanges, roundabouts, and pedestrians. You can find plenty of videos of it navigating one-way downtown streets and anything else.

People say the technology won't exist. I post direct evidence that it does. The case is closed. It doesn't matter how much Elon does or does not lie or what he owns. People are using the cars right now.

The guy landed a rocket on its own rear end. Betting against him is foolish.

wilberforce15

LMAO K. UPS will not do this because they will be afraid of the extreme liability. What happens when they can't blame an accident on "the driver" but on their automated crap-mobile? Unless they get some kind of government waiver to be exempt from all liability (which I doubt will happen because people hate big corporations) they will never do it.

Question, how is this driverless car going to know when a driveway is too icy or not even plowed? Driverless * might work for cakewalk routes that are exactly the same everyday (still to much unpredictability though IE blocked parking spots) but rural will end up causing accidents or cause MILES more walking for the package moving person, thus not saving any time/money.

Liability? I'm afraid you don't know how liability works. UPS often doesn't even have to pay for the accident, when they blame the driver. Blaming the driver is an internal company matter. They do that even when the other insurance company paid.

I literally said that edge cases were still being worked on. Tesla has trillions of hours of video and is building the best artificial intelligence engine that will come online this year to help translate the hard cases into better automation. Stuff can be solved. A supercomputer called Dojo will solve it.

This is still a bunch of horses laughing at the Model T saying, "Look how much it breaks down! That will never replace us! It can't even go up a hill!"

As for the extremely silly objection by somebody about trash trucks, the technology to do this "in the wild" or in a geofenced area is literally being rolled out professionally just now. It's a profoundly stupid objection to say something hasn't happened yet. It just started. But the pace is beyond what you can fathom. Breakthroughs make a snowball tumble very fast.

There will be driverless, electric robotaxis operating in every major city within a few years, and charging less than it costs you to own a car. Mark it.