Shutdown on biggest day in Denver?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Its not a rumor, helpers, seasonal drivers, and seasonal loaders are staying on till the mess is clean. All the uhauls are still rented for one more week... Tuesday is gonna suck.

Fredly, I hadn't seen your post when I posted my last comment. I'm just curious if you can tell me how reliable the report that helpers will be worked another week is? Rumors are one thing, facts are another. Also, are you based Denver? If so, mind if I ask what building? Thanks!!

SmithBarney

I will say that, helpers I'm not 100% certain. I'm not based in Denver, but we are fed from denver, and drivers, seasonals are all on for another week.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
You don't need Superman, you need that "Flame Guy" from the Fantastic 4 to start melting all that snow to keep the roads open!

Did you know when Superdog craps on the driveway you'll need a blowtorch to get it off? (My 10yr old son told me this...thought it was funny).

Raw

Raw Member
I`m here in sunny Florida. Had same amount of stops friday as I did thursday , 270 with only half my route . Temperature has been perfect in the high 70`s. We are working saturday and helpers are working next week ! Merry Christmas ! :thumbup1:

Ruralbrownman

Hey Rockie - are they using all management people to deliver also. We had a 19 inch snow a couple weeks ago and did not deliver on Friday. Monday morning we had extra management people from all over delivering bulk stops so drivers could concentrate on the residential. Heck they even flew in a guy from Atlanta that used to be a sup in our building years ago. But heres the kicker , we had a few guys who braved the weather and made it in , they were send home after a few hours when they could not even get trucks , excuse me package cars , out of our lot , and the company did not pay them their 8 hour guarentee. They were told they abandoned their job , go figure!!!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Hey Rockie - are they using all management people to deliver also. We had a 19 inch snow a couple weeks ago and did not deliver on Friday. Monday morning we had extra management people from all over delivering bulk stops so drivers could concentrate on the residential. Heck they even flew in a guy from Atlanta that used to be a sup in our building years ago. But heres the kicker , we had a few guys who braved the weather and made it in , they were send home after a few hours when they could not even get trucks , excuse me package cars , out of our lot , and the company did not pay them their 8 hour guarentee. They were told they abandoned their job , go figure!!!

Dono about management working. I'd say maybe. And we DID our business yesterday, including pickups. That was when they ordered drivers home: after doing pickups. And Raw, why are they workin helpers in Florida next week???? Was eastbound rail shutdown by this blizzard??

They ARE working drivers AND their helpers today. The helper coordinator said we WILL be working next week as well. I was surprised but not as stunned as I would have been without Raw's above post (and Raw, you can kiss my ass lol j/k). The ENTIRE Denver system is coming back online. The airport opened yesterday to incoming flights and the interstates are moving but barely.

Last edited:

Raw

Raw Member
Just worked an easy 3 hours saturday to make sure we are caught up , now my weekend starts. Rock , my point was if we worked saturday here and helpers are working next week when we had great weather , that means that for each day you people where shut down by snow , I figure that is 10 hours a day each driver will be behind ! The pkgs still kept coming in or is stacking up somewhere. Then figure drivers are overloaded with work anyway, it may take you people a good month to catch up ! You will be run in the ground before January is over !

satellitedriver

Superman? Maybe. But you'd have been a dead Superman in some parts of Denver, buddy. My driver is a calm, deliberate fellow and HE almost hit a stop sign coming to a stop at a curb! I'd really hate to see what "Superman" woulda done!!!!
It was a joke. I really feel for y'all in Denver. Be safe.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Just worked an easy 3 hours saturday to make sure we are caught up , now my weekend starts. Rock , my point was if we worked saturday here and helpers are working next week when we had great weather , that means that for each day you people where shut down by snow , I figure that is 10 hours a day each driver will be behind ! The pkgs still kept coming in or is stacking up somewhere. Then figure drivers are overloaded with work anyway, it may take you people a good month to catch up ! You will be run in the ground before January is over !

Lucky you, Raw. My driver and I worked about 5.5. He told me that he saw a few HR personnel in Browns as he was walking in today. He dropped me off and was gonna take a lunch. By the way, his center ordered all drivers in by 6:30. And I realize that nationwide, volume doesn't just stop being processed because WE stopped doing so. I figured we'd have a lotta **** comin in. And they're stacked up, all right--on semi's or on the rails. I don't think I'll be around to mess with that "month-long" recovery since I am a temp. Of course, if they wanna make a part-time job offer.......

Satellite, nice joke. Sorry I took it outta context. And we'll be safe. My driver needed the extra pair of eyes on a few sidestreets. He told me that without me there, he prolly woulda slid into a few cars. He told me his center had 2 accidents on Friday (package cars sliding into parked cars). No injuries to UPSer's but unknown damage to package car(s) involved and other's property.

Everybody have a VERY Happy HOLIDAYS!!!!! And everyone be safe next week!!!!!

SmithBarney

our "peak" has been extended at least one week for still incoming volume from the denver hold up... we were all in and on the clock today(saturday) seasonal drivers and some helpers. Drivers were all pushed to 59 DOT hours for the week. so hours varied from 2-6 or so today, unless you requested an 8 hr day, then you were cleaning toilets.. ;)

brown67

No joke. Came in Friday morning and clerk is on the phone with a lady demanding her medication. Was overnighted on Wed. Thursday shut down for snow. Friday no airs (airport didn't open until noon). She says she is going to die and demands her medication now. Clerks tries to tell her that the airport is closed and we can't get planes in. No excuses she says and keeps demanding her package. Its not in the state. Finally had to hang up on her after telling her numerous times to call her doctor.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
our "peak" has been extended at least one week for still incoming volume from the denver hold up... we were all in and on the clock today(saturday) seasonal drivers and some helpers. Drivers were all pushed to 59 DOT hours for the week. so hours varied from 2-6 or so today, unless you requested an 8 hr day, then you were cleaning toilets.. ;)

Its gonna be a rough week, no doubt. This city is clawing its way back to life but its gonna take most, if not all of next week for things to return to normal. Despite it being Saturday, ya know what made it worthwhile? I went up to townhouse and rang the bell. A young woman answered the door and when she saw the box in my hand, she beamed and said, "OMG! You have just made my day! I didn't expect this til next week!" Nobody was upset their packages weren't here, they were all downright sympathetic for us having to work on Saturday. It wasn't as bad as yesterday in terms of road conditions, either.

A last tid-bit I found interesting: DIA reopened around noon today and the first departing flight was a cargo flight bound for points unknown. :thumbup1:

DS

Fenderbender
So how did it go there in Denver? Did you guys get most of the resi`s delivered? I`m watching the football game at piled high stadium.

aspenleaf

So how did it go there in Denver? Did you guys get most of the resi`s delivered? I`m watching the football game at piled high stadium.

They ran a sort on Saturday morning for air and things that looked like "Christmas". My trucks were still full from the past few days. My drivers have tried to del but due to extreme conditons some places were not reachable or people were not home. I am sure there will be a lot of upset people and Fedex was out today and I had heard the Post Office was out with packages today and they might be tomorrow for a few hours.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

Thanks for thinking of us, Doublestandard. Really. My driver wasn't as pissed Saturday as he was Friday. The roads were better. My driver had an EMPTY package car when he dropped me off for the first time since we parted company on Tuesday of last week. We did between 120 and 130 stops in 5.5 hours, I think. But, gotta figure this: it took us 14-16 hours to deliver what shoulda taken us a day to do. He was prolly one of the better off drivers, too, since a text message told him to call before he went in as other drivers were screaming for help.

THEN...the snow starts AGAIN!!!!! lol. Weather channel says "snow showers." MERRY CHRISTMAS, ALL!!!!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
They ran a sort on Saturday morning for air and things that looked like "Christmas". My trucks were still full from the past few days. My drivers have tried to del but due to extreme conditons some places were not reachable or people were not home. I am sure there will be a lot of upset people and Fedex was out today and I had heard the Post Office was out with packages today and they might be tomorrow for a few hours.

Aspen, that was my understanding of what we had. Unfortunately, since DIA wasn't open for long before the drivers were dispatched, it was mostly what was on the package cars or in the building already. We had a few NDA--Saturday packages but very little NDA, which is why I say the above.

As to FedEx and the USPS being out...nothing we can do about our bosses orders. As I told DS, my driver's package car was EMPTY for the first time since TUESDAY. He was in a MUCH better mood when he cut me on Saturday than he'd been Wednesday or Friday. However, next week is gonna SUCK!!!!!! :crying:

aspenleaf

Aspen, that was my understanding of what we had. Unfortunately, since DIA wasn't open for long before the drivers were dispatched, it was mostly what was on the package cars or in the building already. We had a few NDA--Saturday packages but very little NDA, which is why I say the above.

As to FedEx and the USPS being out...nothing we can do about our bosses orders. As I told DS, my driver's package car was EMPTY for the first time since TUESDAY. He was in a MUCH better mood when he cut me on Saturday than he'd been Wednesday or Friday. However, next week is gonna SUCK!!!!!! :crying:

I had a bit of NDA but not what we would normally have. I know the drivers were trying to get as much off the trucks as possible. We had a lot of business that the drivers took off before they left yesterday. There were a lot of Christmas packages that should have made it home yesterday. You are right about next week. . .:w00t:

You dress warmly and in layers. I'm a helper, so I get this pullover (Starter jacket-type design) and brown pants. When it was cold a few weeks ago, I was wearing another set of pants beneath the browns and a sweatshirt beneath the coat in addition to a t-shirt beneath the sweatshirt. Heater is OK in the P-1000 I think I'm in. Defroster is in the dead-center of the dash, so it doesn't do much good. I think I was in a P-700 recently and it was niiiice: heater, defroster, etc. I cant answer the question about snow-tires, though. I'm not a mechanically inclinded fellow.

Saw the news reports about MORE snow incoming. Trust me, it can't get too much worse. Denver's main hub (Commerce City) was shutdown all day today. Denver itself slowly started clawing its way back to life this afternoon. When I went out around 5 to get some air and see the city, Denver was operating at about 1/2 what I'd expect for that time of day. Downtown was ABANDONED. Mass transit is clawing its way back to operation with a Sunday schedule in effect tomorrow. Light rail has been running but not on any kinda schedule. I hope I NEVER see this kinda thing again!!
Fortunately we`ll be getting that global warming soon so you probably won`t. :)