sick days as vacation

What'dyabringmetoday???

What didn't happen ? You couldn't get sick if you didn't have any days left to use....
Sorry- I should explain myself. What I was sort-of-kinda referring to was that it seems lately, more and more people want to take several days off WITHOUT pay. Some of these people don't realize that UNION people long ago fought for VACATIONS and GUARANTEED work weeks for themselves and for those of us that follow them. I know I am not popular. I don't care. I believe in the union and I believe in honoring the people that got us what we have today. If people don't want to work, then quit. Otherwise, work your shifts and take the vacations and personal time you have coming. (I understand if you are SICK and out of SICK DAYS- not perpetual "dead days")

UPSGUY72

Sorry- I should explain myself. What I was sort-of-kinda referring to was that it seems lately, more and more people want to take several days off WITHOUT pay. Some of these people don't realize that UNION people long ago fought for VACATIONS and GUARANTEED work weeks for themselves and for those of us that follow them. I know I am not popular. I don't care. I believe in the union and I believe in honoring the people that got us what we have today. If people don't want to work, then quit. Otherwise, work your shifts and take the vacations and personal time you have coming. (I understand if you are SICK and out of SICK DAYS- not perpetual "dead days")

You can't have it both ways. Either you can take dead days or you can't. Not you can only take dead days if your sick. Then you have to prove your sick even if your only off 1 day. What would happen if you call in sick with no days left and you couldn't prove your where sick.

I talk to the guys that work for the sheriffs department in the area I work in. They said if they call in sick they can't leave there house unless they cal work and get permission and they are in a union. Maybe you like that rule too...

canam450

well we have it worked out and from now on when we call in sick and have the sick days scheduled as a vacation we just tell them im sick and dont want paid for it and after the vacation is over and they'll probably tell you that you dont have any sick days left so you gotta come in lol but we all know how that works...click

Last edited:

What'dyabringmetoday???

You can't have it both ways. Either you can take dead days or you can't. Not you can only take dead days if your sick. Then you have to prove your sick even if your only off 1 day. What would happen if you call in sick with no days left and you couldn't prove your where sick.

I talk to the guys that work for the sheriffs department in the area I work in. They said if they call in sick they can't leave there house unless they cal work and get permission and they are in a union. Maybe you like that rule too...
Apparently I have upset you in some fashion. For that I am sorry. I would prefer not to argue every point, but if that is how it must be then that is what we shall do. I am aware that I have ruffled a few feathers around here. The fact is, I am , in my opinion (opinion) a very strong union member. I would prefer to DISCUSS the benefits of this union than argue about what is typed on a screen. I hope this makes sense.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This may surprise you but I agree with you on the dead day issue. This is why I would love to see our pension year credit requirement raised to 1,800 hours.

What'dyabringmetoday???

This may surprise you but I agree with you on the dead day issue. This is why I would love to see our pension year credit requirement raised to 1,800 hours.
If people would just work each day, our pension would likely be better off. The new generation seems to not understand. Of course, the old regime will continue to control our destiny if nobody gets involved...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm over 2000 lol. I understand why but compared to many unions (mostly public) 7 "sick" days are a joke. My dad a park ranger had to take two weeks off at the end of every year or he would lose that time. H retired 18 months early had that much sick time built up. My mom a teacher will go out a year early. Many prison guards can call in sick for an early shift then work a shift later in the day and get paid overtime for that whole shift. I don't agree with all the dead days but they are the ones it's hurting worst. It could be much much worse.

UPSGUY72

In my area it's 1800 hour for a full year or pension credits. That still leaves you with 35 dead days you could take on top of your vacation weeks, sick and personals days. A person with 25 years of service could take 73 days off a year and still make 1800 of pension credits. Meaning they only have to work 188 days a year if you take away the holidays we get off it under 180 days a year and they still make 1800 in pension credits.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It doesn't matter here because our cover drivers are regular FT, not casuals. If you're so concerned about the pension fund losing money over the "dead day" issue, maybe you should pressure your local to try and get rid of casuals in the next contract.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It doesn't matter here because our cover drivers are regular FT, not casuals. If you're so concerned about the pension fund losing money over the "dead day" issue, maybe you should pressure your local to try and get rid of casuals in the next contract.
It's an unfair system, as all aren't allowed access. Preloaders in Black River are written up for taking days w/o pay, while drivers in the same building are allowed them. I have an issue with drivers taking dead days offered by management and then management cutting routes because they are 'short'. They did it this week.

Our casuals rarely work their normal sort as the on-car finds 2 days of work for them(in our supplement). He hates the dispatcher/preload FT sup as much as the casuals.

GameCockFan

In our area, we get 5 sick days, 5 personals, and after 15 years you can take one week of your vacation in one day increments. The 5 personals can be scheduled as an extra week of vacation, but you can't also take them as individual days. The sick days can also be scheduled as an extra week of vacation. The subject of taking a sick day that is already scheduled as a vacation day is not addressed in the supplement or the NMA. I don't see how it hurts anyone if a driver takes 1-2 sick days, then takes a vacation and gets paid for the remaining days he has left. The cover drivers, who in my center are full-time drivers who bid coverage, cover the sick days as well as the week of vacation. They're glad to get the hours.

As far as drivers taking dead days and then management saying they are short and cutting routes. You got to know those routes were getting cut no matter what. That's the new UPS. Load 'em up and send 'em out. Pensions here are 1801 for full years credit. I'm at 2078 already. Averaging 48.3 per week on four tens.

As long as it's negotiated in our our contract that we can use those sick days as a vacation I don't see a problem with it. You could call in only once and have four days left(enough to cover a feeder vacation in my building) or you could call in ten times and not have enough days to even cover the sick call ins. The best way to address it is through attendance. If people start to abuse it then discipline them for excessive absences. In the case I'm talking about the driver wanted to work, but the company didn't want him to.

I'm also sick of hearing these young guys talk about whats fair and whats not. We don't get to decide whats fair/not fair. We negotiate a contract and live with it. If you want to decide how things should be done by whats fair then get ready for everybody to get screwed over by the company. Guess what life's not fair. When I first started out and was low on the seniority list lots of things weren't fair but I came to work everyday put in my time (25 years now) and now I'm reaping the benefits of my seniority. I'm just sick of the entitlement that the generation after mine thinks it deserves. I don't care if you think it's fair that I get the best vacations, or bump you out of a Friday you wanted off. No one gave a damn when I had 3-5 years in if it was fair for me to have to work package all week then cover a Friday night feeder route. Frankly, I don't give a damn what people think is fair to them now. If you want a change, get active in the union. Elect officers who better represent your views and change it. /Gets off soapbox/