sick days / personal holidays

konsole

Its that time again to fill out the vacation options. I have the paper in front of me but I need an explanation on the difference between sick days and personal holidays. Its the options at the bottom of the page where you select A or B. In the past I always just selected the 2 sick days & 3 personal holidays, but that was because I'm rarely sick so I picked the option with less sick days, not really comprehending the difference between sick and personal days. The other option is 5 sick days just so you know. So what really is the difference between sick and personal days?

A. 5 sick days
B. 2 sick days + 3 personal days

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Its that time again to fill out the vacation options. I have the paper in front of me but I need an explanation on the difference between sick days and personal holidays. Its the options at the bottom of the page where you select A or B. In the past I always just selected the 2 sick days & 3 personal holidays, but that was because I'm rarely sick so I picked the option with less sick days, not really comprehending the difference between sick and personal days. The other option is 5 sick days just so you know. So what really is the difference between sick and personal days?

A. 5 sick days
B. 2 sick days + 3 personal days
a sick day...you don't give advance notice..you call in an hour before your start time. Personal days (we call them OPH's here)...you have to request a specific day at least a week in advance (some places 2 weeks). Some buildings have specific forms..our requests are done verbally and they just mark the center calendar. Management can turn down your requested personal days. P.S. you guys only get 5 days? That sucks..lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

konsole, sick and personal days can be used interchangeably; however, if you use all of your sick days as personals you may not be allowed to call on sick.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
They all look like 5 paid days off from where I'm standing. When is the last time someone was terminated when a day was denied and they took it off anyways?

OPTION3

article 60 sec. c…southern supplement…OPTION3 an employee may elect to take7 days in 1 day increments. These days will be paid the first 7 days the employee does not work each calendar year.

The company always tries to Break the days up here how they want to…..just call in the seven days…only put in for the 1 personal day….pretty simple

UPSGUY72

konsole, sick and personal days can be used interchangeably; however, if you use all of your sick days as personals you may not be allowed to call on sick.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BS you can call in sick even if you don't have any paid days left. They will just code you as 26 no pay.

If I take a day off I tell them if I want to get paid for it or not.

Indecisi0n

They give RLOs out in my center like candy. All you have to do is ask. Most guys get phone calls early in the morning so they don't even have to drive into work.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Sure, you can...but once you start doing that...they usually start riding you about attendance.
I have never once taken a paid day when I called in sick. Never seen any attempt at discipline. Granted I don't think I have ever called in more than 3-4 times in a year.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
article 60 sec. c…southern supplement…OPTION3 an employee may elect to take7 days in 1 day increments. These days will be paid the first 7 days the employee does not work each calendar year.

The company always tries to Break the days up here how they want to…..just call in the seven days…only put in for the 1 personal day….pretty simple
Don't forget the personal holiday, burn that one first.

konsole

So how does the pay work for a sick day or personal day? I assume part timers get 4 hrs and full timers get 8 hrs pay, and then if you don't use your 5 sick/personal days you get paid for them sometime during the year?

If you get paid the same for both, sick days can be gotten off pretty much to the last minute, and also personal days off can be denied, then how is personal days at all better then sick days?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So how does the pay work for a sick day or personal day? I assume part timers get 4 hrs and full timers get 8 hrs pay, and then if you don't use your 5 sick/personal days you get paid for them sometime during the year?

If you get paid the same for both, sick days can be gotten off pretty much to the last minute, and also personal days off can be denied, then how is personal days at all better then sick days?
PT is 4 hrs, FT is 8 hrs. It depends on your local. In my local, our sick and personals reset on May first. So you have till the following April 30th to use your days or they'll issue you a check for any remaining days the first week of May...we can't roll our days over. We don't have any options...we get 5 sick and 5 personal days. Some locals reset on Jan first and allow you to roll over sick days. Talk to your steward.

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey
^we can roll over sick but not personal. But usually accounting screws up and ends up paying off everyones left over days so there are no sick days to carry over.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
PT is 4 hrs, FT is 8 hrs. It depends on your local. In my local, our sick and personals reset on May first. So you have till the following April 30th to use your days or they'll issue you a check for any remaining days the first week of May...we can't roll our days over. We don't have any options...we get 5 sick and 5 personal days. Some locals reset on Jan first and allow you to roll over sick days. Talk to your steward.

What happens to vacation? Do they roll over if you dont use them?

Overpaid Union Thug

Here most of us that chose to split our option week into seven "sick days" (eight including the one everyone gets) usually use them for the random day off for doctors appointments. Only the guys that actually get sick often use them for sick days. LOL! I usually use at least a couple days at a time to schedule a few extended weekends here an there. Like a Monday and Tuesday. This creates a couple extra mini vacations for me. The problem we sometimes have here is the jerks that wait until the day of one of those said schedule days off (99% of the time it's a Friday) to bitch and whine about how they should have had the day off instead because of seniority. Ok. I get that but maybe they should have schedule that day off in advance if they truly had wanted it instead of just waiting to see if someone else took the day.