"Skilled Jobs"

gandydancer

...The part I'm not sure about is how I'm going to defend myself if they go for my file. I don't even know what's in there because I never bothered to look at it because I've always heard that if the sups try and stash "ammo" there that it would be useless if they tried to use it. So, let's say they've been putting everyone's missload reports in our files. If I just say they are meaningless and they refute that then how can I defend it? Once that hole is closed I can go in for the kill. LOL

It doesn't matter if you've had some misloads. If they didn't document that you were warned about your performance they can't proceed to discipline you for it. Even if you had been warned you could grieve it on the basis of discriminatory treatment and no enforced standards for performance, but without notice there is no way they can win.

They didn't honor seniority and a less senior employee got your $1 an hour. You're out money. You're entitled to be made whole. Don't pussyfoot around. Don't talk to them. Just file the grievance and let them come talk to you.

Air Hub

Re: "Skilled Jobs" at the airport

I hope this isn't a hijacking, but it seems highly related. Article 40 - Air Operations seems to be full of special circumstances and loopholes to weaken Air employees. In this case, our Gateway doesn't recognize "Sorter" positions at all, and I think they're right on this one.

Article 40, Section 6 Wages 2.H
(h.) Part-time air hub and gateway employees and air walkers shall be paid at the all other rate of pay as shown in Article 22.​

Is there any Air P/Ters can make the skilled rate?​

It my air hub/airport we do not get the extra $1 due to the article 40 Section 6 Wages 2.H language and I also think they are correct in that they dont have too.
We have to sort and take sort test but are not paid at the skilled rate. :thumbdown

Cole

LKLND,

WOW! Your avatar! I imagine she wouldn't have a problem getting a signature eh? I wouldn't mind her being my help"h"er during Christmas.

Big Arrow^

If they write in your file they have to review it with you, and if they haven't protest it.

Also regarding stewards send a ltter to the local Pres and request elections for stewards on your shift etc...

Overpaid Union Thug

Do you pay union dues? Are you a member of a local? The UNION and your SHOP STEWARD are to DEFEND YOU... You are not to meet with supervisors WITHOUT Union representation.

If you are called into a meeting with a management representative and you have reason to believe that disciplinary action against you may result, you have the right to have a steward present during this meeting. Read the statement below to the management representative, and contact your steward immediately.

READ THIS STATEMENT TO MANAGEMENT:
"If this discussion could in any way lead to my being disciplined or terminated, or affect my personal working conditions, I request that my union representative, officer, or steward be present at the meeting. Without representation, I choose not to answer any question."

"This is my right under a U.S. Supreme Court decision called Weingarten.

For the last couple of days I have told you: CONTACT YOUR UNION REP. Now you write: "I will feel comfortable if I just go and present our part-time sups..."

NOW GO CONTACT YOUR UNION REP...

I believe in at least trying to settle a problem at the lowest level (I guess I still have a little military in me) so I can at least say I gave the sups a chance at fixing it without involving a grievance. Aren't we supposed to try and solve contract issues localy first anyway? Our sups are fairly new and aren't exactly contract experts and are still learning things the hard way. I mean there are so many of us hourlys with plenty of time in that still don't know it all so I can only imagine how it is for a lowly newbie p/t sup. With that said......if I talk to them and they still can't "see the light" then I will be filling out the grievance form. I like to do the right thing. Even if the people I have problems with don't.

gandydancer

...If they write in your file they have to review it with you, and if they haven't protest it....

You've got contract language saying this? Or state law? ... In California the employer has to give you a copy of anything you SIGN, but I'm not sure what other rights an employee may have...

trickpony1

If they write in your file they have to review it with you, and if they haven't protest it.

One of our feeder supervisors wrote comments made by a feeder driver, in passing, in the feeder drivers "Pittsburgh form", set that ink pen down, picked up another ink pen and signed the drivers intials.

Did the feeder supervisor lose his job?.....what do you think?

T

Team Easy #1

Have YOU talked to YOUR Union reps?
If you are not sure then TALK to your Union Reps..
It can be interpreted many ways so talk tou your Union Rep.

Bottom Line is very clear, CONTACT THE UNION....

EXACTLY.

the same kind of thing happened to me and i had to file a greivence.

they were making me unload trailors and letting brand new people go to the preload when i was requesting to go there for months. i took it one day at a time and kept pushing, and ended up file a grievence which absolutely pissed off the "little supervisors"(as i call them).

some hubs do well at moving people up and some hubs have bitter sups that want to make everyones life hell, mines full of bitter(and strange) sups that obviously aren't very happy. it's life. just make sure to talk to the union, center of managment, sups, union rep, ect.

good luck.

LKLND3380

I believe in at least trying to settle a problem at the lowest level (I guess I still have a little military in me) so I can at least say I gave the sups a chance at fixing it without involving a grievance. Aren't we supposed to try and solve contract issues localy first anyway? Our sups are fairly new and aren't exactly contract experts and are still learning things the hard way. I mean there are so many of us hourlys with plenty of time in that still don't know it all so I can only imagine how it is for a lowly newbie p/t sup. With that said......if I talk to them and they still can't "see the light" then I will be filling out the grievance form. I like to do the right thing. Even if the people I have problems with don't.

You Supe tried to settle the problem by... REMOVING YOU FROM YOUR JOB AND PLACING YOU IN A LOWER PAY JOB... Did they give you a chance to fix it?

You pay Union dues for?

Now if you were paying a lawyer a monthly retainer and you were arested, would you try and talk to the officers or the judge before calling in your lawyer?

Overpaid Union Thug

You Supe tried to settle the problem by... REMOVING YOU FROM YOUR JOB AND PLACING YOU IN A LOWER PAY JOB... Did they give you a chance to fix it?

You pay Union dues for?

Now if you were paying a lawyer a monthly retainer and you were arested, would you try and talk to the officers or the judge before calling in your lawyer?

You are comparing apples and oranges man. Trying to settle a problem locally before righting up a grievance is actually the way it's supposed to be done.

LKLND3380

You've got contract language saying this? Or state law? ... In California the employer has to give you a copy of anything you SIGN, but I'm not sure what other rights an employee may have...

As a rule: You should never sign ANYTHING without a Union Steward present... Even then you don't have to sign and the Union Steward can initial...

Under the Southern Region Supplemental Agreement
ARTICLE 52 - DISCHARGE OR SUSPENSION

(D) Each emplyee has the right to examine his/her Center personnel file upon request on his/her own time and shall receive copies of any documents in their files upon request with the understanding that the employee is responsible for all administrative and copy expenses. The time spent to review the files will be mutually agreed upon.

LKLND3380

You are comparing apples and oranges man. Trying to settle a problem locally before righting up a grievance is actually the way it's supposed to be done.

1/2 Correct.. You file a grievence with your Union Shop Steward and the Union Shop Steward Investigates and tries to settle locally.

IF they can not agree it goes to your Local and your Business Agent steps in to resolve. If they can not reach an agreement it goes to National...