Skills developed as a driver.

ups1990

This is a great thread. I agree that UPS has helped with the above physical tasks. The driving job has taught me something far better.

My social skills have improved. I am now the master of small talk when I didn't say a word to strangers before UPS. Also, I have absolute control over my anger now. I don't get angry at work but I did when I first started. I now expect the customer to say something stupid and I just brush it off. Maybe I'll patronize their ignorance (stupidity?) and act like what they're saying is original or something I care about, lol.
Great points. We encounter people during our work day who might be going through some difficult times and when they see our demeanor as calm, thet tend to settle down a bit. In our personal lives, when a tough situation arises. Our family will look to see how we will handle the crisis. Are we going to panic and loose it or do we keep composed and find a feasible solution. A great example is, what Stevetheupsguy, recently went through. He reacted quickly and very collected to what arose.

My walk pace while not working is much slower, I tell my wife that if she wants to walk with me...slow down. I only walk fast when I am getting paid to do so or there is a real need in moving fast.

I started a personal campaign to learn to control my temper way before I started with UPS, however working here did help....tremendously.
My Mom and Dad taught defensive driving as a community program through the VFW and auxiliary, the five seeing habits and such at UPS are the same program with different words.

Working at UPS has helped with planning out a path to take to run errands and shopping trips, gotta loop that trip.
I have practiced the 143 keys to lifting and lowering all my life, UPS keeps me in practice.

NHDRVR

This is a great thread. I agree that UPS has helped with the above physical tasks. The driving job has taught me something far better.

My social skills have improved. I am now the master of small talk when I didn't say a word to strangers before UPS. Also, I have absolute control over my anger now. I don't get angry at work but I did when I first started. I now expect the customer to say something stupid and I just brush it off. Maybe I'll patronize their ignorance (stupidity?) and act like what they're saying is original or something I care about, lol.

I was mentioning this exact point a few weeks ago. I never had a problem talking to people but after 20 years of doing this any driver has the skill to carry on a conversation with anyone about anything. Think of how many tense or funny situations you have walked in on and had to adjust on the fly. The ability to switch gears, metaphorically speaking, while you work just isn't the same anywhere else.

P

pickup

I helped my daughter and what's his name move to North Carolina from Albany, NY, and I was assigned the task of organizing the load in the U-Haul. We made it there with only one damage (I blamed the loader) but it was one of the smoothest moves either had taken part in.

two points:

1) one can safely assume the loader in this story is also what's his name

2) what's his name probably refers to this moving experience as "Escape from New York" or the "NewYork redemption." :wink2:

No such person

Southern Ct.
The manager at our local supermarket says I get through the self checkout line twice as fast as anyone else. I've already scanned 300 times that day, what's 12 more?

SmithBarney

This is ok unless your mower has a chute on the right side. If so you are continuing to mow the same grass over and over. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Well I used to do this as a kid.. it was a mulcher before mulchers were the big thing.
So either a big pile in the middle or you eventually have it all on the outer perimeter of the property...

I hated Raking. It never quite works perfectly though... too much grass to chop up.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Well I used to do this as a kid.. it was a mulcher before mulchers were the big thing.
So either a big pile in the middle or you eventually have it all on the outer perimeter of the property...

I hated Raking. It never quite works perfectly though... too much grass to chop up.
But I bet you had one heck of a healthy lawn.