Slapped in the face by UPS

drewed

Shankman
Mech, I here what youre saying and I feel for you guys, and I know there is some outsourcing but are you telling me all the canceled flights and parked planes has NOTHING to do with it?

ups767mech

Mech, I here what youre saying and I feel for you guys, and I know there is some outsourcing but are you telling me all the canceled flights and parked planes has NOTHING to do with it?

I would be a liar if i told you that. The fact of the matter is, If the compnay would stop doing the work of Local 2727 while the aircraft are overseas and waiting to do the work when the plane came back to the US there would be plenty of work to keep everyone employed. As a matter of fact they would have to hire more people.

drewed

Shankman
I would be a liar if i told you that. The fact of the matter is, If the compnay would stop doing the work of Local 2727 while the aircraft are overseas and waiting to do the work when the plane came back to the US there would be plenty of work to keep everyone employed. As a matter of fact they would have to hire more people.

Ok, and planes go overseas....and just like they do break down need a new APU, holes patched, locks changed , whathaveyou, and please correct me if Im wrong but isnt it sort of like a car somethings are easier to fix when your have whatever off? And I quiet a few planes have defferals on them so SOME (I know its the key word here) of the work is bound to be done over there?

ups767mech

Ok, and planes go overseas....and just like they do break down need a new APU, holes patched, locks changed , whathaveyou, and please correct me if Im wrong but isnt it sort of like a car somethings are easier to fix when your have whatever off? And I quiet a few planes have defferals on them so SOME (I know its the key word here) of the work is bound to be done over there?

Its a contract violation to do the work oversees. There are certian things that can be done overseas but they are doing much more than is allowed by the contract. Thats isnt even getting into the heavy checks that are totally done by chop shops around the world

worldwide

Some interesting notes from a recent article in Air Cargo World regarding this subject.

"UPS says it has no intention of outsourcing line maintenance and appears rather bemused by the Teamsters' position. Since the last UPS mechanics contract was ratified in 2002, the airline has acquired more planes-and created more than 200 additional U.S.-based jobs.

The company says major maintenance-apparently the focus of the Teamsters' campaign-is a highly specialized business and is not a core competence for a parcel delivery company. Having studied the option, UPS concluded that such a facility would cost "hundred of millions of dollars" and not be used for a quarter of any given year.

So the company has contracted out non-line haul maintenance to FAA-licensed Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul (MRO) facilities of which 90%, it says, are located in the U.S.

Air Cargo World contacted the Teamsters national headquarters and Local 2727 to determine why the union should be including UPS in its "no outsourcing" campaign when line maintenance is not the same as heavy maintenance.

No one was available for comment at press time."

unionman

Yikes! Who's fixing the planes? Is this related to outsourcing aircraft repairs to Chinese mechanics?

Serious question, we heard that somewhere, didn't we?

In an earlier incident, the subject of another investigation, faulty work by AAR Landing Gear Services apparently resulted in the collapse of landing gear on a US Airways Boeing 757 that was parked at the gate in Charlotte.
The landing gear collapsed in October 2007 as roughly 20,000 pounds of jet fuel was loaded onto Tampa-bound Flight 1753, which was waiting to depart with 195 passengers aboard. No one was injured, but the incident raised serious questions. Had the gear collapsed under weight at a different time, such as when the aircraft was landing, the outcome might have been far worse.
Immediately following the Charlotte incident, the FAA, the National Transportation Safety Board and US Airways all investigated. US Airways inspected the landing gear on five other 757s that had gear work performed by AAR, and replaced some of the truck beams. The truck beam is the main component of the landing gear, a horizontal bar connecting the front and rear axles. In that case, the FAA said AAR Landing Gear Services improperly maintained the truck beam on the main landing gear in about 350 cases involving various Boeing models between Jan. 1, 2001, and Nov. 26, 2007. The FAA said all affected operators were notified of the suspect parts in March 2008 and corrective action was taken.
"AAR employed defective processes and followed defective inspection protocols" and, as a result, "returned aircraft parts to service as being overhauled when they were not, and failed to perform required maintenance procedures," the FAA said.
Between 2006 and 2008, AAR returned about 15 improperly maintained landing-gear parts for Boeing aircraft to UPS, US Airways and Southwest, the agency said in a letter sent to AAR on Tuesday.

Tip of the iceberg my friend.

unionman

Some interesting notes from a recent article in Air Cargo World regarding this subject.

"UPS says it has no intention of outsourcing line maintenance and appears rather bemused by the Teamsters' position. Since the last UPS mechanics contract was ratified in 2002, the airline has acquired more planes-and created more than 200 additional U.S.-based jobs.

The company says major maintenance-apparently the focus of the Teamsters' campaign-is a highly specialized business and is not a core competence for a parcel delivery company. Having studied the option, UPS concluded that such a facility would cost "hundred of millions of dollars" and not be used for a quarter of any given year.

So the company has contracted out non-line haul maintenance to FAA-licensed Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul (MRO) facilities of which 90%, it says, are located in the U.S.

Air Cargo World contacted the Teamsters national headquarters and Local 2727 to determine why the union should be including UPS in its "no outsourcing" campaign when line maintenance is not the same as heavy maintenance.

No one was available for comment at press time."

The problem is that UPS only wants there mechanics to defer problems that come up on departure. You cannot run an airline like that. You can't have a virtual airline run by controllers and planners. Airplanes are complicated machines that can do tremendous damage if not maintained properly. We don't want to do overhauls, we only want to do work that should be done to maintain our aircraft in top shape. You can't do that with a flashlight at 4 am on a turnaround. It must be done on checks, in my opinion, at the C check level.

sweetpea

well if anyone care admins are losing their jobs-North Jersey and Metro Jersey consolidated and no mangement lost their jobs, they are all on special assigments until they FIND them something, why is it always the workers and not the ones that sit behind the computer playing with numbers???????

backinbrown

respect my authority
well if anyone care admins are losing their jobs-North Jersey and Metro Jersey consolidated and no management lost their jobs, they are all on special assignments until they FIND them something, why is it always the workers and not the ones that sit behind the computer playing with numbers???????

telemetric will take care of that for us

we will not need as much supervision by actual sup's because eventually telemetric can tell center manager who is naughty and who is nice.

eventually they will phase out the number of sups needed.

Nostradamus told me this

thus it is so.

rampguy

2nd Day Air K-Loader Fool
Yikes! Who's fixing the planes? Is this related to outsourcing aircraft repairs to Chinese mechanics?

Serious question, we heard that somewhere, didn't we?

Thats a good point. Tail swaps were on the downturn, but I am afraid if we loose our Aircraft Mechanics in big numbers like that it will only get worse. Nothing worse than loading a 747 or MD11 and have to turn around and off load it to another aircraft. That cost the Company just as much cash as keeping those jobs.:crazy2:

The problem is that UPS only wants there mechanics to defer problems that come up on departure. You cannot run an airline like that. You can't have a virtual airline run by controllers and planners. Airplanes are complicated machines that can do tremendous damage if not maintained properly. We don't want to do overhauls, we only want to do work that should be done to maintain our aircraft in top shape. You can't do that with a flashlight at 4 am on a turnaround. It must be done on checks, in my opinion, at the C check level.

Not sure which gateway you are at, but I only see them defer if it is a non critical flight component that can be fixed at the destination gateway. I have seen heavy maintenance by UPS acmx with my own eyes. Smaller gateways arent always equipped to perform these kinds of things....

ups767mech

Not sure which gateway you are at, but I only see them defer if it is a non critical flight component that can be fixed at the destination gateway. I have seen heavy maintenance by UPS acmx with my own eyes. Smaller gateways arent always equipped to perform these kinds of things....

What do you consider "heavy maintenance"?

This should be good

tieguy

Banned
Isn't this interesting. After cutting managments pay raises and 401k contribution "until further notice". They have also laid off 60 aircraft mechanics and multiple others throughout the system. Then, our CEO goes to the newspaper and tells them how good UPS is financially and how we are looking to buy assets in this down market. TO ME THATS A SLAP IN THE FACE TO ALL WHO ARE EFFECTED BY THE PAYCUTS AND LAYOFFS.

READ THE ARTICAL HERE:
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090208/BUSINESS/902080320/1003/BUSINESS

If you want to be miserable working here then please do so without including my management issues into your your hate trip. If I even think about feeling sorry for myself I just look across the street at the empty house that go foreclosed on. That usually puts things into perspective for me.

tieguy

Banned
Back when the stock went public (99?) we had management people who became millionares when their shares split and were selling at $75. Meanwhile, those of us in the hourly ranks got nothing but the contractually agreed upon hourly pay raise. I didnt complain then, because I had made a choice. You shouldnt complain now...because you also made a choice.

I knew some hourlies that were heavily vested in ups stock and also did very well.

If you want to be miserable working here then please do so without including my management issues into your your hate trip. If I even thing about feeling sorry for myself I just look across the street at the empty house that go foreclosed on. That usually puts things into perspective for me.
That might be his house across the street, he's laid off.