Smart pickups

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A day?
I don't think I've sent 5 messages in 6 months...lol

I am required to send one letting them know when I deliver my last NDA and if I had any missed or late NDA.

I am required to send one letting them know what time I delivered Gamestop and how many they received.

I am required to send one letting them know my meal break times and ETA.

I send one if I am light to offer my help, if needed.

I send one to ask the OMS to alert area drivers of accidents or other delays.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I am required to send one letting them know when I deliver my last NDA and if I had any missed or late NDA.

I am required to send one letting them know what time I delivered Gamestop and how many they received.

Wow, the BOG isn't so special after all.

You guys really are on a tight leash.

wayfair

swollen member
I mean in the piece. I believe putting it in unscheduled, charges the customer something, someone, somewhere told me that, and that was not to be done

I have a few pickups that are to be done while making delivery(Walmart is number 1)
and I get credit for each, delivery and pickup

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli

With today's technology none of those messages are necessary, they should have access to all that information… Except maybe for the accident one, and how many of those do you really see?

upschuck

Do they ask everyone to do that, or just you?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

NDA has a commit, what is the point of the message? Gamestop has a 12:00 commit in the board, what the hell is the point of a message? Good god man why are you holding their hands all day with these messages?

Grow some balls. I'd loose my freaking my mind playing those games.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....

Expand the original message to begin

Info. they already know.

Info. they already know.

I am required to send one letting them know my meal break times

They know when you enter it.

Sounds like a bunch of chicken-excrement busy work.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I love busting my ass to get NDA off and the customer wants me to take their outgoing. Of course I say sure no problem, but I'm cursing them in my head on the way back to the car. Sure, I'll just throw them on top of the pile of boxes loaded down the center of the bricked out car, it's already a total mess anyways, why not.
My customers know better. Anytime before 10:30 don't even bother talking to me. Only PUs Im doing are single packages of toners or anything that I can carry and toss in the truck on top of everything like you said. Otherwise, I'll be back later.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
My customers know better. Anytime before 10:30 don't even bother talking to me. Only PUs Im doing are single packages of toners or anything that I can carry and toss in the truck on top of everything like you said. Otherwise, I'll be back later.
I wish every driver trained their customers. I'm a cover driver and some of things I see and hear just make me shake my head.

"Oh you can just sign it for me". No mam I wish I could they won't let me do that. "Oh well my usual driver does". Don't tell me that I don't even want to know.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I wish every driver trained their customers. I'm a cover driver and some of things I see and hear just make me shake my head.

"Oh you can just sign it for me". No mam I wish I could they won't let me do that. "Oh well my usual driver does". Don't tell me that I don't even want to know.
Plenty of drivers sign for their customers. It's not what they're supposed to do at all but hey, their risk. If 25 year safe driving alumni did it and retired without incident than it doesn't seem like that big a deal. I know some guys that even sign for folks wine and leave it. I don't have the balls to take that risk but they do and once again no incident so who knows.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Plenty of drivers sign for their customers. It's not what they're supposed to do at all but hey, their risk. If 25 year safe driving alumni did it and retired without incident than it doesn't seem like that big a deal. I know some guys that even sign for folks wine and leave it. I don't have the balls to take that risk but they do and once again no incident so who knows.
I'm an expert at minding my own business....
Not judging them, but not gonna put myself at risk like that either.

Cementups

Box Monkey

When you're delivering to a dentist and he's got his hands full of mouth......you offer to scribble his name for him.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
When you're delivering to a dentist and he's got his hands full of mouth......you offer to scribble his name for him.
No doubt, but that's not what I'm talking about. Places where people are sitting there doing nothing are surprised they have to sign.

I've gotten messages about making a second attempt to a business that was closed, and the customer proceeded to give me a hard time about how the driver usually just leaves the package. I just tell them that driver is "doing them a favor", and I'm sorry for the inconvenience but we're not allowed to do that. But in my mind I'm thinking the bid driver is the one who caused the inconvenience and it's my inconvenience not theirs.

Cementups

Box Monkey
What I'm not a fan of is business that use their daily delivery as a pickup. I know many places that every time I deliver, they say "oh and here's the ones for you" and proceed to give me packages. Sometimes they are RS labels which I don't care about, but other times they aren't. I feel like these people are getting a daily on area pickup for free.

You are there anyway. Not like you went out of your way. I always take pick ups when the customer ask, even a ground package on a Saturday.

That is so annoying. "Here I have a few for you." Then they proceed to wheel over 10-15 packages lol. Become a pickup jerkoffs!

Prepaid returns are one thing. It sounds like this customer is processing their packages through the website and handing them to the driver in order to avoid the weekly P/U charge.

What do they do when we don't have a delivery for them that day?

Please don't get me wrong---you are doing the right thing; however, the bid driver should be working to get those stops set up as either a smart or daily pickup stop.
Having a daily pickup only guarantees that you will be there daily AND that you will be there at a particular time daily. If they are shipping out packages using our online service they are taking the chance that they may not see us that day and we are only obligated to pickup the packages at time of delivery and not, "yeah, sure I'll swing back by at 4 to pick those up." If it's an RS or has that little package emblem in the corner of the label we should be taking all those packages upon request, no if, ands, or buts.

In particular, I have a music shop and a print shop that only ship occasionally using our online services. The bible bookstore in between them has a scheduled daily pickup. So the bible bookstore allows the other two businesses to leave packages there for us to take. While, yes UPS may be losing possible revenue for pickup fees, the real person getting taken advantage of is the bible bookstore.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've gotten messages about making a second attempt to a business that was closed, and the customer proceeded to give me a hard time about how the driver usually just leaves the package. I just tell them that driver is "doing them a favor", and I'm sorry for the inconvenience but we're not allowed to do that. But in my mind I'm thinking the bid driver is the one who caused the inconvenience and it's my inconvenience not theirs.

On another side of this, I had my Orion guy (previously an on car sup) riding with me one day and it was 10:45am. I'm attempting to deliver to a Chinese restaurant. No one is there yet as they open at 11. I set the packages down in front of the front door and get back in the package car. He says, "you can't leave those, this is a business." I said, "A: they will be here in the next 5 minutes and B: they are SurePost packages so we are allowed to DR them." He just shakes his head and says, "Ok, let's go then." Ha ha ha :laugh: