Smartpost

deadman

Local info recieved from postmaster is starting nov 1. Smartpost will no longer exist for there station.

Has anyone heard anything about this yet?

bacha29

Local info recieved from postmaster is starting nov 1. Smartpost will no longer exist for there station.

Fat Freddy got that business along with all the truck freight he can steal off the LTL's and dump over to that so called "small package" carrier Fedex Ground.

It will be fine

November would be pretty early. You might be in a test market. Keeping that volume in the Ground network over peak will be interesting. They tell us to expect it sometime next year, no set time table yet, but my best guess is June 1 to start the new fiscal year.

upschuck

Probably got swamped last peak, and don't want the same this year. Probably take it back in January, maybe. They don't want the low profit stuff either that time or the year.

worldwide

"In addition to delivering every day of the week, FedEx Ground is making changes to enhance its efficiency in last-mile deliveries. Nearly two million FedEx SmartPost packages that were previously given to the U.S. Postal Service for delivery to homes every day will be increasingly integrated into FedEx Ground operations and delivered by the same service providers currently handling FedEx Ground residential packages.

“Delivery density has consistently been a challenge with e-commerce,” Subramaniam said. “We anticipate substantial density improvement and efficiency opportunities when all residential packages are sorted and delivered within the same ground network.”

Since 2016, state-of-the-art technology has enabled the movement of a FedEx SmartPost package into the FedEx Ground network when another package is destined to the same or nearby address. This has resulted in the integration of approximately 20 percent of FedEx SmartPost packages to date. Starting this fall, the integration of these packages will be significantly accelerated, and the vast majority of FedEx SmartPost package volume is expected to be integrated into FedEx Ground operations for final delivery by the end of 2020."

FedEx Ground Announces Seven-Day Residential Delivery Year-round

instiches

We're being told it will be before peak for our station.

They are saying if we opted into density now, it is around 20% of the total Smartpost volume for our zips. If I extract that out to 100%, that would mean our HD volume would double. Who the :censored2: thinks contractors can double volume going into peak, and then deal with peak volume for our regular and Smartpost volume? Idiots.

But of course FDX can't (and never do) give us good information and they are saying they can't get true numbers right now. Your system can't calculate how many smart post pkgs exist in our zips? L O L

browned out

Come January 1st 2020; UPS will be contractually required to eliminate Surepost and move those shipments back to UPS delivery drivers.

MassWineGuy

Hats off to Ground people. I pick up a local FXO every day. Mondays are often extremely heavy, but nothing compared to the Ground freight. Obviously, it costs less to ship by truck. Surepost sure won’t help the work load.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Come January 1st 2020; UPS will be contractually required to eliminate Surepost and move those shipments back to UPS delivery drivers.

Uh......no. Nice try, thanks for playing.

FedEx has NOT eliminated SmartPost----they have simply chosen to deliver that volume themselves.

UPS DOES NOT and WILL NOT follow suit.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You may want to work on your reading comprehension.

Nope it's just fine, thank you. You, on the other hand...

"the vast majority of FedEx SmartPost package volume is expected to be integrated into FedEx Ground operations for final delivery by the end of 2020."

@browned out is asserting that surepost should be eliminated as of January 1 next year, based on the premise that once fedex eliminates smartpost UPS is contractually obligated to eliminate surepost. Even if that were true, based on the info from @worldwide's post, FedEx is not eliminating smartpost entirely as of the first of next year, or even by the end of next year. So there is no support for @browned out's assertion. Is that clear enough for you? You would think that after all the times you've challenged me and lost, you might think a little before doing it again, but I guess not.

It will be fine

Nope it's just fine, thank you. You, on the other hand...

"the vast majority of FedEx SmartPost package volume is expected to be integrated into FedEx Ground operations for final delivery by the end of 2020."

@browned out is asserting that surepost should be eliminated as of January 1 next year, based on the premise that once fedex eliminates smartpost UPS is contractually obligated to eliminate surepost. Even if that were true, based on the info from @worldwide's post, FedEx is not eliminating smartpost entirely as of the first of next year, or even by the end of next year. So there is no support for @browned out's assertion. Is that clear enough for you? You would think that after all the times you've challenged me and lost, you might think a little before doing it again, but I guess not.
In the union contract when FedEx stops using the post office UPS has to as well?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Please show me in Webster's where "vast majority" is defined as "all".

I'll wait.

This is a joke, right? I am not arguing that, I am arguing the opposite. I am saying that is why surepost isn't going away, at least not next year. I said that FedEx is not eliminating smartpost, but that they would be phasing it out throughout the year. Whether they get rid of it entirely after that remains to be seen.