Smoking hot

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Okay, this is a new one on me!!!!!!! Yesterday I had an unavoidable accident. ( The boss actually told me I wouldn't be charged for it, I nearly had a heart attack. LOL) So of course I had to stay late last night and do web assesments and accident reports LALALALALALALA. (3rd 9.5 yesterday). Today I had a ride along with said boss (safety don't ya know). I was already hot about being late last night and having to go through third inquistion over what could I have done differently *(told him I didn't do anything wrong to begin with)****** This afternoon he gets on the truck with me and we proceed on about the day and I get to a point where I am going to have a few minutes of driving time (10 to be more precise) and I start to light up a smoke. He informs me that drivers are no longer allowed to smoke while driving. If I want to smoke I have to do it on my own time. He will not allow it. I hit the top of the richter scale. I have never been told by any other sup/mgr ever that I was not allowed to smoke while driving. Is this just news to me or is our center behind the times here?

satellitedriver

Okay, this is a new one on me!!!!!!! Yesterday I had an unavoidable accident. ( The boss actually told me I wouldn't be charged for it, I nearly had a heart attack. LOL) So of course I had to stay late last night and do web assesments and accident reports LALALALALALALA. (3rd 9.5 yesterday). Today I had a ride along with said boss (safety don't ya know). I was already hot about being late last night and having to go through third inquistion over what could I have done differently *(told him I didn't do anything wrong to begin with)****** This afternoon he gets on the truck with me and we proceed on about the day and I get to a point where I am going to have a few minutes of driving time (10 to be more precise) and I start to light up a smoke. He informs me that drivers are no longer allowed to smoke while driving. If I want to smoke I have to do it on my own time. He will not allow it. I hit the top of the richter scale. I have never been told by any other sup/mgr ever that I was not allowed to smoke while driving. Is this just news to me or is our center behind the times here?
I would have stopped the pkg car punched in break/lunch into my Diad and smoked my cig, while watching the sup fume.
I am just that way.
Never heard of that rule down here.
On the "one" OJS ride I have had in 10yrs, the sup told me he was impressed by the way I took a styro-foam cup placed in the cup holder ,filled half way with water, cut a V notch on the rim and used it as an ashtray.
Bad habit, yes.
Against the rules, not yet.(but I sure it will be some day)

ol'browneye

I don't smoke so I don't know anything about UPS policy on that, but I do remember a driver that used to smoke big cigars and started a small fire in the back of the pkg car!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't smoke so I don't know anything about UPS policy on that, but I do remember a driver that used to smoke big cigars and started a small fire in the back of the pkg car!!!
No smoking allowed in the back. I know that and I don't do it. Fine with me but the cab has always been fair game. I've had smoking and non-smoking sups on road w/ me. Not one of them has ever said that I couldn't.

paidslave

Depends on the supervisor. Sounds like this was a real ride..........and he probably doesn't like the smoke. Next time yes, pull the truck over in a safe place and take your 10 minute paid break away from the truck and from him to enjoy your smoke in peace without the harrassment and intimidation for you to not smoke! Not much else you can do......

upsdude

Yep, I would have pulled over and told him you’re lighting up a “Teamster Menthol”. Tell him they last precisely 9 minutes and 50 seconds. LOL.

Seriously though, I thought the contract placed “smoking” in control of the driver, or person behind the wheel.

BTW, I think you have to smoke to be in management around here.

AlaskaMike

No smoking except in designated outside smoking areas here. And that doesn't include the trucks. Needless to say only a couple of drivers smoke here. It just isn't worth standing outside at minus 30.

wornoutupser

WEIRD!

I am allergic to cigarette smoke and a sup rode with me a while back that smokes heavily.

I counted 14 that he smoked ON THE CAR that day-and he knows that it makes me sick!

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
WEIRD!

I am allergic to cigarette smoke and a sup rode with me a while back that smokes heavily.

I counted 14 that he smoked ON THE CAR that day-and he knows that it makes me sick!
I'm not allerigic to smoke but I used to have a sup that would smoke on car so the drivers door would always be open when he would smoke. He would complain that I was trying to freeze him to death when it was 10 degrees out. Except for his smoking he was an decent guy.

tourists24

unless the master or your supplement agreement says otherwise, then local,state, federal laws usually prevail. If it is legal to smoke while driving, then you should be able to light up. We have the same arguments here about cell phones. They try to make us quit but it is legal in our state, so no discipline.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
unless the master or your supplement agreement says otherwise, then local,state, federal laws usually prevail. If it is legal to smoke while driving, then you should be able to light up. We have the same arguments here about cell phones. They try to make us quit but it is legal in our state, so no discipline.
as of now cell phones are legal but they stay on us constantly about using them.

over9five

Staff member
In Massachusetts, you can't smoke in a work vehicle that is shared.
Basicly that means you can't smoke in your vehicle, cuz anytime you're out, someone else uses your vehicle.

HazMatMan

Please don't tell me you threw the cig out the side of the pkg car when you were done with it, please tell me you had an ash tray inside the cab.

abes

abes
We were told that the truck is your workplace,so here in NY that meens no smoking in the workplace.Then he says you could get pulled over by the cops and ticketed.That was a few years ago.I myself thought it was pretty comical as all who smoke still do in the pkg. car.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If its a law, follow it, UPS or State.
If its not courtesy is called for. If one smokes and one doesnt, then no one does.

browniehound

Please don't tell me you threw the cig out the side of the pkg car when you were done with it, please tell me you had an ash tray inside the cab.

Haz,
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think these smokers (I'm a former so I was guilty at one time) realize how much they are litering by throwing their butts out the window. First they pollute our air, then they pollute our environment. I think they should all be bound and quartered, LOL!

Congrats to your Giants, they played one hell of a game. This is all I'm going to say about it because I get sick just thinking about that game. I can't watch ESPN anymore, I can't read the newspapers or visit my websites anymore. Tell you the truth, I don't know if I can be a Patriots fan anymore. I guess this is how it must of felt to be a Yankees fan in '04. Thank goodness spring training starts in a week.

Again, congrats and enjoy, this goes out to you too Local if your reading.

Brownie :whiteflag:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have never flicked ashes or thrown a butt out of the car window.......at least not a cigarette butt. I have ashtrays everywhere.

Living in California and tossing butts could end up costing you hundreds of thousands of $$$, maybe millions when they have to put out the 40,000 acre fire that you might start. Not to mention the loss of life that could occur.

People just need to be considerate & THINK !!

Leftinbuilding

I have never flicked ashes or thrown a butt out of the car window.......at least not a cigarette butt. I have ashtrays everywhere.

Living in California and tossing butts could end up costing you hundreds of thousands of $$$, maybe millions when they have to put out the 40,000 acre fire that you might start. Not to mention the loss of life that could occur.

People just need to be considerate & THINK !!

Tell us about the other "butts" you have thrown out.....:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Why did I know that someone would ask me that???

:slap:

Old story, teenage years, idiots in car while I was driving.......morale of story: don't pick up drunk guys from Kent State.