Snow day

ugakidd7

We was told last night to be off the road and clocked out by 630 and to sheet all deliveries left as emergency conditions they wouldn't let me finish my last 10 stops. All we had was a half inch of snow lol

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I just got home from a 21 hour drive in Atlanta's debacle. They called us off the road at 2:30 Tuesday, I left my Hub at 4 PM. It was a disaster, the truckers passing through here don't know what chains are.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
YEP! Inexperienced or "Don't care" truckers shut Atlanta down.
From the way the Governor was talking, I can see some fines being levied and some additional laws being passed.
No tractor-trailer is suppose to be inside I-285 unless they are making a delivery inside the perimeter bypass.
He seemed very upset that almost none of teh truckers had chains on ... I could see some laws being passed on that. It depends on how hard the transportation corporations (like UPS) lobby against that hardship.

icu

for who you are !
YEP! Inexperienced or "Don't care" truckers shut Atlanta down.
From the way the Governor was talking, I can see some fines being levied and some additional laws being passed.
No tractor-trailer is suppose to be inside I-285 unless they are making a delivery inside the perimeter bypass.
He seemed very upset that almost none of teh truckers had chains on ... I could see some laws being passed on that. It depends on how hard the transportation corporations (like UPS) lobby against that hardship.[/qu

Past Practice ? That's what I would plea.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ah yes, politicians at their finest: looking to blame someone other than themselves. If the Governor wants to blame truck drivers for not being prepared by not having chains, then he better follow that idea to its logical end. Blame needs to sit in his lap, and the mayor's lap for not having plows, not having salt, and for Christ's sake, not having a damn plan! I heard them blaming weather forecasters for not predicting the storm. Really? I heard all about it walking on the treadmill at the gym two days ago.

But you will never see a politician admit he or she has a blind spot, no matter what kind of hole it causes them to fall in.
Atlanta gets this kind of snowfall/ice once 4 or 5 years at most.
The Govner (Nathan Deal) does not control the Winter Storm plan for Metro Atlanta.
That is controlled and managed by the Mayor of Atlanta - Kasim Reed.
Outside of Metro Atlanta, the State's plan appeared to work pretty
Regardless, there is no reason to have the same plows, spreader trucks, etc as Chicago or New York.
Your logic means that Indiana should have been ready for the snow, ice and wind that took that state down a month ago.
It was not until 3:38 am Tuesday morning that the National Weather Service (NWS) included Metro Atlanta in the Winter Storm WARNING. The Govner and Mayor actually complimented the local weather people on calling this storm better than the NWS. The NWS put South Georgia on the Florida line on WARNING 24 hours prior to putting Atlanta in the warning ... they got no snow.
In their defense, I would rely on the National Weather Service much sooner than Local Weather people whose job is to gin up interest and drive up the ratings for their station.
Also, keep in mind, when the local channels say there is going to be a Winter Storm, it only happens maybe 10% of the time. Usually it is everyone complaining about the local stations crying wolf.

The worst feeling I have about this is feeling like I need to take up for politicians. That sux!
I also had my butt in front of the TV when this all hit (retired)
I realize few UPSers and non-UPSers, for that matter, have that option.

JackStraw

Love working, driving in the snow. Also, its the only time you can stick it to UPS and there's not a damn thing they can say to you.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You love the snow until you get into an accident. Then youll hate it. Might as well get a lawyer if you get into an accident, cause their going to harass the hell out of you lol.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Atlanta gets this kind of snowfall/ice once 4 or 5 years at most.
The Govner (Nathan Deal) does not control the Winter Storm plan for Metro Atlanta.
That is controlled and managed by the Mayor of Atlanta - Kasim Reed.
Outside of Metro Atlanta, the State's plan appeared to work pretty
Regardless, there is no reason to have the same plows, spreader trucks, etc as Chicago or New York.
Your logic means that Indiana should have been ready for the snow, ice and wind that took that state down a month ago.
It was not until 3:38 am Tuesday morning that the National Weather Service (NWS) included Metro Atlanta in the Winter Storm WARNING. The Govner and Mayor actually complimented the local weather people on calling this storm better than the NWS. The NWS put South Georgia on the Florida line on WARNING 24 hours prior to putting Atlanta in the warning ... they got no snow.
In their defense, I would rely on the National Weather Service much sooner than Local Weather people whose job is to gin up interest and drive up the ratings for their station.
Also, keep in mind, when the local channels say there is going to be a Winter Storm, it only happens maybe 10% of the time. Usually it is everyone complaining about the local stations crying wolf.

The worst feeling I have about this is feeling like I need to take up for politicians. That sux!
I also had my butt in front of the TV when this all hit (retired)
I realize few UPSers and non-UPSers, for that matter, have that option.

This article indicates officials should have known, had they paid attention.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_t...er_sends_south_into_chaos_who_s_to_blame.html

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
big cedar.jpg
Us northerners drive on the ice for fun and pleasure. Some of us even pull our campers out on it and spend the day.
Enjoyed this view while on lunch today.
Every once in a while I get the urge to drive the package car across the lake to save the 5-6 miles from going around it.