Snow day

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This article indicates officials should have known, had they paid attention.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_t...er_sends_south_into_chaos_who_s_to_blame.html
It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback and I don't know whether you live in the Atlanta area, but I watched the local news for 3 days leading up to this and the only thing they said was that 1 or 2 models out of the 13 models we have predict anything other than a dusting in Metro Atlanta.
A dusting was all I heard until Tuesday morning and none of the meteorologists were predicting the results that we wound up with. The 2 - 2 1/2 inches of snow fell and as soon as it fell it turned to slush and then ice on the roads. All the stuff shown on National TV and locally to some extent, was the result of tractor-trailers not having chained up. They even said that on National TV tonight.
Having a couple of days of lost productivity every 5 - 10 years is OK in my mind anyway.
A lot of people down here build tornado shelters in their houses ... I imagine they don't do that where you live because you probably don't get tornadoes often.
We also don't have hurricane shelters and evacuation plans in Atlanta.
Georgia is a real forced balanced budget state and that means that the State has to husband their resources.
Not a popular thing to talk about because there are a lot of Democrats in Atlanta who feel the government should just spend money without any thought given to "How do we pay for this?".

I watched the local news on Tuesday morning and there was no real sense of emergency and they were predicting 3 - 8 pm as the snow period.

All in all, it was a failure in many ways for many people but I don't buy negligence on local government official or even the meteorologists or the "news for profit" TV stations that the meteorologists work for.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Let me get this straight, the amount of snow exceeded the projected amount and they did not have resources to handle excess amount because they didn't the equipment or man power. For some reason that sounds familiar.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
View attachment 11039Us northerners drive on the ice for fun and pleasure. Some of us even pull our campers out on it and spend the day.
Enjoyed this view while on lunch today.
Every once in a while I get the urge to drive the package car across the lake to save the 5-6 miles from going around it.
I like short cuts too. What's the worst that could happen?
image.jpg

renegade313

...from Fairbanks to Key West...I can say I`ve done it all...ice is no joke..you disrespect it you will pay the consequences...what this proves is man is fallible and mother nature will always be unpredictable...

Rico

What could possibly go wrong with borrowing the boss's new plow rig. He'll never even notice its missing.

It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback and I don't know whether you live in the Atlanta area, but I watched the local news for 3 days leading up to this and the only thing they said was that 1 or 2 models out of the 13 models we have predict anything other than a dusting in Metro Atlanta.
A dusting was all I heard until Tuesday morning and none of the meteorologists were predicting the results that we wound up with. The 2 - 2 1/2 inches of snow fell and as soon as it fell it turned to slush and then ice on the roads. All the stuff shown on National TV and locally to some extent, was the result of tractor-trailers not having chained up. They even said that on National TV tonight.
Having a couple of days of lost productivity every 5 - 10 years is OK in my mind anyway.
A lot of people down here build tornado shelters in their houses ... I imagine they don't do that where you live because you probably don't get tornadoes often.
We also don't have hurricane shelters and evacuation plans in Atlanta.
Georgia is a real forced balanced budget state and that means that the State has to husband their resources.
Not a popular thing to talk about because there are a lot of Democrats in Atlanta who feel the government should just spend money without any thought given to "How do we pay for this?".

I watched the local news on Tuesday morning and there was no real sense of emergency and they were predicting 3 - 8 pm as the snow period.

All in all, it was a failure in many ways for many people but I don't buy negligence on local government official or even the meteorologists or the "news for profit" TV stations that the meteorologists work for.
I bet you he gets more tornadoes than you times three.