Snow Days

542thruNthru

Does UPS ever do snow days?
We're getting some tonight and I'm hoping I don't have to go to work.

giphy-142.gif

Rack em

Made the Podium
The only time we get snow days is if they shut down the roads. A few years ago I was on my way to a rural route and the highway got shut down. I drove back to the center, emergency conditioned the whole route, and went home. It was the best working day I've had so far.

Snow days are the easiest days. Feeders are late, spotters are slow getting the trailers parked and pulled. Air will be late. Late air will be exempted so no hurry. Maybe a little OT in February is nice and after the sort take the rest of the day off and feel sorry for the drivers delivering in the mess.

CentralSup

I've had three snow days during my career at UPS. All of them were because the feeder drivers pulling trailers to the building weren't able to make it back. No volume for the drivers to deliver = no drivers going out on routes.

El Correcto

god is dead
I’ve worked here a decade and have only gotten 2 snow days.

That was during a freak blizzard, the city wasn’t prepared and neither was UPS. It was like something out of mad max. Cars flipped over in the median of the highway. Drivers were getting injured and crashing. We had no tire chains, the roads were ice and the city wasn’t doing a good job clearing them. One day they sent us out and called us back in, it was just pointless to even try to deliver.

We don’t get weather like that, every couple miles of highway you would see a totaled car.

MattM

If you report to work on your regular scheduled day you are guaranteed your 8.
I’m just wondering, If you were one of the lucky ones to make it to your building, and 80% of the others couldn’t. Then they close the roads inbound, all but closing your facility, would pay be guaranteed? Maybe only if you stay the entire duration?

I’m just thinking of situations where they’d send you home and still have to pay you.