Book off in a snowstorm?

• YES, who cares about my brothers!

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • NO, show up and do your job!

Votes: 35 76.1%

• Total voters

35years

Gravy route
The worst I have seen was years ago...Freezing rain encased everything in ice. Then overnight we got 2 inches of snow per hour (over 2 feet total) with 40 mph winds.

They sent us out. No chains. Package car.
I got 4 stops done in 8 hours, then was called in.
That was the only time they have ever called us in; including ice storms, blizzards, tornadoes, intense fog.

Would never go into feeders with these maniacs running the show.
But I have never called off because of weather.
In feeders I would not hesitate.

Poop Head

Judge me.
View attachment 119728 I took this photo leaving our building on December 15th. A lot of guys chain up out on the street because there isnt room on the property. And every car has $300 PEWAGS.
SEehceW.gif

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Unless the weather was going to get a WHOLE lot worse I can't see why chains were even needed.
Widespread snow in the Willamette Valley is rare enough that we have very little snow removal equipment. Only the main roads get plowed and the use of salt is illegal. The street in the picture got plowed but most roads had a foot of snow on them and chains were mandatory.

rod

Retired 22 years
Widespread snow in the Willamette Valley is rare enough that we have very little snow removal equipment. Only the main roads get plowed and the use of salt is illegal. The street in the picture got plowed but most roads had a foot of snow on them and chains were mandatory.

Answers that question

rod

Retired 22 years
Is putting your chains on in the street considered safe?

What would OSHA say?

Where else would you put them on? The trucks are crammed in like sardines in the building and outside in the parking lot is too much of a zoo to be safe. I don't think OSHA gives a crap --unless someone dies.

oldngray

nowhere special
With the package cars lined up down the street like that I have to wonder how the guys stuck in the back of the pack feel about having to wait for everyone in front of them to get chained up and gone. Especially if they see guys in front of them D*'ing around instead of working to get out of there.

Johney

With the package cars lined up down the street like that I have to wonder how the guys stuck in the back of the pack feel about having to wait for everyone in front of them to get chained up and gone. Especially if they see guys in front of them D*'ing around instead of working to get out of there.
How about this? Is it AM time or on-road time? They left the property so....?

Rack em

Made the Podium
Wouldn't that be charged to Preload? I'm pretty sure they won't suck up that time. Hell when I was still in package they wouldn't let us code off loading our cars to Preload.
One day our district manager came down and gave us like a 30 minute pcm and before we left he told us to code it under approved am time in other work. I don't know if that gets charged to preload but that's what he told us to do...

soberups

The cars on the right were legally parked on the curb and out of the way to chain up. The cars in the middle of the picture were already chained up and heading out. Our building sits at the end of a dead end street so there is no through traffic to worry about.

Johney

One day our district manager came down and gave us like a 30 minute pcm and before we left he told us to code it under approved am time in other work. I don't know if that gets charged to preload but that's what he told us to do...
I vaguely remember that being option#9 "app AM meeting"? Maybe they have a special option for such a routine?

soberups

How about this? Is it AM time or on-road time? They left the property so....?
If I chain up inside the gate it would count as AM time. If outside, it would be on road time. It all pays the same so I dont care either way. And when every driver in the building is running 3 or 4 hours overallowed due to the snow, any concerns over production or SPORH become irrelevant.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We got about a foot of snow yesterday and had 4 drivers bang in this morning. A 5th driver tried but was told that he had to work. He is a FT bid cover driver and was sent out blind on a run that he only new about 20% of.