So it begins

Coldworld

60 months and counting
What was the line -scb- used to say ?

"You can lead a teamster to knowledge.... but, you can't make him think." ?

Something like that.

I don't have all the answers.

Most times.... I am just trying to defend what I see as absolute BS.

(and there is a considerable amount)

-Bug-
BS from dumb dumb members or BS from very dumb dumb management personnel.....misery loves company...

A

Article 3

You have a right to your opinion.

I've seen things from an angle most members haven't and that's what I base

my opinion on. Let's face it.... when only 30% of the members even bother to

vote on their own contract, it's hard not to believe my opinion is correct.

-Bug-
Normally less than 30%.

A

Article 3

I've been tracking the voting results in my Local since the early 2000's.

It hovers at about 28%. That is for contracts, Local elections, or IBT elections.

-Bug-
And that's higher than a lot of other locals get.
Pathetic trend. Self-induced.
People never appreciate what they have until it's at risk.
We ran a campaign to try to remove the local president who is our BA and I'll never forget when a 34 year Teamster told me he didn't vote because one vote didn't matter.
One vote would have tied it. One more lazy member's vote would've got the job done.
Sometimes it can be depressing for those that want betterment when people directly affected are too lazy to vote.

Last edited by a moderator:

twoweeled

Do you think elected officials are just some random personoff the street....

that has never done the jobbefore ?

You can’t be serious

Tell me how many years Jimmy Jr.
Spent on a package car

I have never understood why we would vote someone into office who hasn't experienced the experience. That's aside from the bad job being done, year after year. lol I'd said it many times before. Jimmy Hoffa senior would be kicking someone's butt out of office if he was still with us. That's a man I miss. Carey is missed too. I'd love to miss Hoffa Jr soon.

upload_2017-11-10_9-53-37.jpeg

twoweeled

Because they don't have the guts.... to stand up for themselves ?
There is some truth in what you say ie standing up for themselves.
However, Hoffa was elected to protect the members and do the best possible for the members. Hoffa was not elected so the members could protect Hoffa. The dues members pay monthly are in exchange for that protection and negotiation results. I'm betting the members are paying those dues monthly and Hoffa is receiving his paycheck from those dues. I think it's questionable whether the members are getting the protection and excellent contracts in exchange.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
There is some truth in what you say ie standing up for themselves.

That's what I would call a truth dart. And, it sticks.

However, Hoffa was elected to protect the members and do the best possible for the members. Hoffa was not elected so the members could protect Hoffa. The dues members pay monthly are in exchange for that protection and negotiation results. I'm betting the members are paying those dues monthly and Hoffa is receiving his paycheck from those dues. I think it's questionable whether the members are getting the protection and excellent contracts in exchange.

I get it, I really do.

But, UPS members are only a segment of the IBT.

-Bug-

And upon further reflection, I deleted other observations before posting this.