So UPS is turning to into a career...

vdiaz3095

Definitely stay in school if you can I just retired after 28 1/2 years and kicked myself in the ass all those years for dropping out of college myself.

browniehound

My opinion: I smell a TROLL. This guy is just one of us who is sorry he didn't finish school or pursue his degree.

Do you have something better to do? I apologize if I stand corrected.

kerbinator

My opinion: I smell a TROLL. This guy is just one of us who is sorry he didn't finish school or pursue his degree.

Do you have something better to do? I apologize if I stand corrected.
haha, nope no troll. though I find it kind of fascinating that you would jump to that conclusion...that that many people with UPS regret not getting degrees that they would go to this length for entertainment or to make themselves feel better, or whatever the point of trolling would be.

not to demean the value of a degree, but it isn't a free job pass. right now in my life a job is a job...I'd probably still end up taking it if I did have a BA in psych, unless I was going to grad school. I've noticed all the younger drivers think it's a great job, even the 2 with college degrees. The fact that that many veteran drivers regret not finishing school and doing something else is kind of off-putting, but I imagine doing the same thing 20, 30 years would get monotonous doing just about any job. If I'm way off target with this issue, may a wise elder enlighten me. but right here, right now in my life, this is what I want to do.

Last edited:
I drove 20+ years and never was the job monotonous or boring, every night starts a new day and each day is different.
I think you'll find that most of the older drivers with the regrets of not finishing their education is that they are worn out after 20 or more years, both physically and mentally. These are things someone in their early 20s usually do not think much about.

In the end Kerb, you are going to do what you want, you are the only one here that has to live with that choice.

BTW, you should be able to pick up a copy of the current contract from your shop steward. All the online versions I have seen were not the complete contract, only the changes from the previous one.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Tough decision you have to make. Number one and most importantly......... make sure that you are truly the next one in line to go full time. Seen too many promises made to people that never materialized.

I see lots of people go to college, get a degree and come out making alot less money than a UPS driver. Its a demanding job and will make you second guess your job choice quite often. The upsides are the pay and the benefits. Very few people work for companies that pay a decent wage, have benefits, and have a retirement program like ours.

Good luck on your decision.

Raw

Raw Member
I drove 20+ years and never was the job monotonous or boring, every night starts a new day and each day is different.
I think you'll find that most of the older drivers with the regrets of not finishing their education is that they are worn out after 20 or more years, both physically and mentally. These are things someone in their early 20s usually do not think much about.

In the end Kerb, you are going to do what you want, you are the only one here that has to live with that choice.

BTW, you should be able to pick up a copy of the current contract from your shop steward. All the online versions I have seen were not the complete contract, only the changes from the previous one.
Then why did you retire sooooo soon? :rofl::rofl::bigsmile2:

EmerCond421

Kerb, in the end it's your choice, your decision. Like you I also was majoring in psych.

Long story short, I dropped out 12 hrs short back in the 70's. Did managerial in an office but couldn't stand being inside an office all day. Did career change and was a cop for 10 yrs. Moved cross country and UPS sounded like a good career. Haven't look back since.

Analyze all the benefits from doing this job as compared to other jobs out there. The progression pay scale, pension, health care and make an informed decision that you can live with because in the end it's your choice.

Realize you will most likely begin on the worst (hardest) route until you can bid off it.

Also, find out when your eligible to retire. Under our local it's 25 and out at 57 yoa. That will give some idea how long you have to work before you're eligible for retirement.

Look over to the right under navigation menu - under teamster news, it has the National Contract for 02 -08 and 08 - 13.

Enough rambling, hope this helped tho - jmo.

christian c

getting a degree is far more important than UPS to me. In fact, I just quit because my work schedule was interfering with some mandatory classes. In addition, I want to have a more intellectual career and not be a slave to UPS for the rest of my life.

Re-Raise

The job is physical and we work at a quick pace. At the end of the day, however, I leave the job knowing I have accomplished something.

I was a 31 ACT who breezed through college while only receiving 1 B in a computer language (Fortran, that I don't think they use anymore) in my four years of college.

I was also an athlete and couldn't envision myself staring at a computer in a cubicle in an office and sitting through endless meetings that accomplish nothing.

We provide a service that customers are willing to pay for. Our pay and benefits are very competitive with jobs that require a degree.

My brother graduated from Bradley and went straight into engineering at Caterpillar. He never made more than I did in a year and his job was recently eliminated. He also gained 80 pounds while I weigh the same as I did when I graduated 20 years ago.

I find it hard to believe that after a year and a half there that you don't know exactly where you stand on the seniority list. Do any of the other part-timers deliver air?

Frunobulax

Get as much education as you can while working part time. I can tell you from experience that even with multiple degrees from top schools and many years working experience, your life can take a turn that you never expected. The key, as others have said, is having as many options as possible; and the more education you have, if times get tough, the greater resources you will have to draw on. You seem like a sharp young man. Don't limit yourself unnecessarily.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Switch Majors.

He has 2 years invested majoring in Psychology. The first two years are normally more general and these credits should transfer to a new major; however, he may have to take other lower level courses depending upon the new major so he may end up adding another semester just to get his 4 yr.

He does make a good point in the a 4 yr degree in Psychology will not yield many job opportunities. He will need his Master's or even his PhD.

M

Mike23

The job of a driver works very simply and I have a very simple way to explain it.

I pay my managers to think for me. When they screw up I pay my union to think for them.

Anything past that, don't worry about it. Let the center know when you're over dispatched too heavily and will have misses and don't shoot off your mouth too much...boy, I wish I could stop that last one ;)

whiskey

Tough decision is there some career you are shooting for and really enjoy in that case i say go for it . We actually had a couple young full time drivers (very good ones too )quit and go back to school too in the last year.
You can stay in school and follow your dream, or you can experience the tears that come when UPS has "broken" you. You decide.

mason575

FOR GODS SAKE!!! i am yelling this at my computer screen!!! stay in school!!! for the love of GOD!!! you do not want to quit school for any job whatsoever!!! especially a UPS driver because there will be many many days you will say to yourself " I quit school for this?" sure the money is good but believe me they get their moneys worth. I would take a job for less money to have better working conditions and to work for somebody who actually cares and respects you. 24 years experience speaking to you here my friend. please do not quit school and do not be seduced by this siren song your sup is feeding you. He cant put you into driving no more than I can. YOu have to go through the bid process like everybody else. It took me 8 years and some change from my first day at UPS. I am not saying it will take that long for you but you need to do some more hard thinking about it and do not make long term decisions on what you think you need today. my 2 cents.... Good luck