So what are yall thoughts parttimers

Drink Craft Beer

We all were part timers at one point. I say allow the part timers to get $30/hour if that’s what they want. I stayed bc $8.50/hour with free benefits was the hottest thing in town, many moons ago.
Plus (in the Central at the time) it only took you 30 days of working/punches to get into the union for those free killer benefits.

Superteeth2478

Man, I am missing out
The alternative is the life of a typical UPS driver. A big house mortgage, a boat mortgage, a big lifted truck mortgage, a wife that you never see who cheats on you because you don't have time to give her attention (and let's be honest, she probably would have cheated anyways because LOL women), and children that cost a lot of money to raise but who disrespect you because they hardly see you. The good life...

Thebrownblob

The alternative is the life of a typical UPS driver. A big house mortgage, a boat mortgage, a big lifted truck mortgage, a wife that you never see who cheats on you because you don't have time to give her attention (and let's be honest, she probably would have cheated anyways because LOL women), and children that cost a lot of money to raise but who disrespect you because they hardly see you. The good life...
That sounds like the typical American. I have a big house it’s almost paid for. No boat, because it’s a money trap, no car payments since 2006. A wife who has been faithful as have I. Three great kids who I never once regretted the cost of raising and who are almost on there own now.

And through all that I made much better than average salary, never once worried about healthcare my retirement is much further along than the majority of people. I’ve always had better than average vacation time which now includes seven weeks.

I really can’t say I worked any more extreme hours than my neighbors. Except perhaps at Christmas time, Most of which were white collar. I did, however use the rights in the contract because I’m not a coward and I never allowed the company to take advantage of me without them, understanding that I would make them pay. None of this is that hard unless zero balls.

Trucker Clock

The alternative is the life of a typical UPS driver.

I don't think you know what the typical life of a UPS driver is. Maybe you think your life is typical. I'm sorry for you if that is your life. It's not mine.

A big house mortgage

A big house mortgage that is almost paid off with the superior wages that I get, thanks to the Union.

a boat mortgage

Don't have a boat. The two happiest days of a man's life - the day he bought the boat and the day he sold the boat.

a big lifted truck mortgage

I do have a truck payment. A typical truck payment. Haven't had one for almost 20 years. My 1999 pick up, that I had since new, finally bit the dust. I could not justify spending $70K on a pick up. Bought a 3 year old pick up with 40,000 miles, and while it is loaded, it is not lifted. But is was a reasonable price.

a wife that you never see

I see her a good 3-4 hours per day plus all weekend. Sometimes maybe too much...lol

a wife that cheats on you because you don't have time to give her attention

Got plenty of time for attention. Sometimes too much. See above.

and children that cost a lot of money to raise

I'll give you that one. They are expensive, but I don't regret one minute and would do it all over again.

but who disrespect you because they hardly see you

Again, 3-4 hours per day plus the entire weekend.

The good life...

Yessir, it is.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Nice house, no boat, no truck, used car, raised my kid right, married 39 years, no infidelity. Pension. And I always made time for my family. Maybe you should find better friends? I’m sure there’s drivers that fit your profile, but in my experience it’s usually the newer ones.

Superteeth2478

I really didn't put that statement in regard to criticize a driver's life specifically because I'm not stupid, I know it's a hard job and I know that people make bad decisions all the time. More to poke @Thebrownblob for his statement about how hubrats supposedly live. At the same time even if a part-time hubrat leads the life they choose to lead there's nothing to criticize there either. Most importantly the drivers who say part-timers should start loading better first before asking for a raise (and that's not everyone here but a vocal minority, and you guys know who you are) are really just complete idiots to say the least because as they say, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

No one with half a brain thinks EVERY driver lives like that or that EVERY hubrat lives like that. But stereotypes exist for a reason and there are plenty of drivers and hubrats that do. The exceptions to the stereotypes don't negate that they're there for a reason.

The part-timers just don't have much incentive to work so hard for as little as they're paid. That said, I do know a lot of drivers who are standing up for their part-time brothers and sisters and wanting to fight for better wages for them instead of spitting on them as lesser creatures. It's completely nonsensical and just the kind of divide and conquer tactics that will potentially defeat a strike. If you have the part-time workforce scabbing because they just don't make enough even with another job to support themselves what incentive do you think they'll have to honor the strike lines?

Everyone needs to be on the same page to get an effective strike.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I really didn't put that statement in regard to criticize a driver's life specifically because I'm not stupid, I know it's a hard job and I know that people make bad decisions all the time. More to poke @Thebrownblob for his statement about how hubrats supposedly live. At the same time even if a part-time hubrat leads the life they choose to lead there's nothing to criticize there either. Most importantly the drivers who say part-timers should start loading better first before asking for a raise (and that's not everyone here but a vocal minority, and you guys know who you are) are really just complete idiots to say the least because as they say, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

No one with half a brain thinks EVERY driver lives like that or that EVERY hubrat lives like that. But stereotypes exist for a reason and there are plenty of drivers and hubrats that do. The exceptions to the stereotypes don't negate that they're there for a reason.

The part-timers just don't have much incentive to work so hard for as little as they're paid. That said, I do know a lot of drivers who are standing up for their part-time brothers and sisters and wanting to fight for better wages for them instead of spitting on them as lesser creatures. It's completely nonsensical and just the kind of divide and conquer tactics that will potentially defeat a strike. If you have the part-time workforce scabbing because they just don't make enough even with another job to support themselves what incentive do you think they'll have to honor the strike lines?

In 30 years I can count in one hand the decent preloaders I’ve had. Will money make them better?

Thebrownblob

Why are you poking me? I said I was missing out on all the fun smoke and drinking and playing video games sheesh. All I got was a pile of responsibilities.😃

Superteeth2478

Why are you poking me? I said I was missing out on all the fun smoke and drinking and playing video games sheesh. All I got was a pile of responsibilities.😃
Kind of got the impression you were being sarcastic. If you weren't then my apologies. As far as whether or not money will make the preloaders better though, I don't think it'll make the current ones better, but it's more likely to attract better workers in the future. They won't be hiring the dregs of the workforce if they offer more pay.

Red Headed Stranger

If parttimers were smart they would be full-time!!!
Not everyone wants the part-time job as a step-up to full-time. Most of the senior part-timers in our building are self-employed folks who are here just for the amazing health benefits and pension. Same holds true for me. I'd be thrilled to get a bump in the part-time pension (which hasn't increased since 2008 for part-timers) and be able to keep our current health benefits. The weekly pay almost pays for groceries so a dollar or two increase to allow it to pay for all my weekly groceries would be nice :)

TeltBender

So many FT saying kick PT to the curb I cant tell if it is a joke or not. This wouldn't be a problem if the union didn't originally allow the company to create PT jobs for inside. UPS is kicking into overdrive trying to copy the Amazon business model of burning workers out and then just hiring new ones. Of course most PTers either feel like nobody cares about them or they are oblivious to what the union brings. We shouldn't only rely on rank and file members to do inform new hires. There should be some language requiring either a Steward or BA to explain their rights to new hires during their orientation. It takes less than 2 hours to go over the contract. Next time O'Brien is in DC as a witness I will try to mention this to him myself. I've already voiced my concern to my local. It sickens me to see other members not caring about PTers simply because the Company has beat the union at keeping workers oblivious. I don't even plan on staying with UPS, but I still care about the rights of workers in America. This country is doomed.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We shouldn't only rely on rank and file members to do inform new hires. There should be some language requiring either a Steward or BA to explain their rights to new hires during their orientation.

It's already in the Master language.

ARTICLE 3. RECOGNITION, UNION SHOP AND CHECKOFF

Section 1. Recognition

"Business agents and/or a steward shall be permitted to attend new employee orientations to talk about the benefits of Union membership. The Employer agrees to provide the Local Union at least one week’s notice of the date, time, and location of such orientation. Upon request, the Union representative will be given a list of the names of the employees attending orientation no later than at the meeting."

TeltBender

It's already in the Master language.

ARTICLE 3. RECOGNITION, UNION SHOP AND CHECKOFF

Section 1. Recognition

"Business agents and/or a steward shall be permitted to attend new employee orientations to talk about the benefits of Union membership. The Employer agrees to provide the Local Union at least one week’s notice of the date, time, and location of such orientation. Upon request, the Union representative will be given a list of the names of the employees attending orientation no later than at the meeting."

Shall be permitted vs required is what I think is an important difference. In my building I am not aware of any BA or stewards talking to new hires unless the new hires seek them out, I'm in 177.