So whats a typical day as a feeder driver?

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
trying to figure out exactly where I'd stand on getting a cdl now... oddly the school I filled out the form for never called me back
Good luck, I can tell you will do well --- you seem very motivated and willing.

I don't know your specific location in NJ, but I recommend S&S or Jersey TT School. If you google them you can find their number and they'll be willing to answer as many questions as you got. Call and make an appointment to check them out.

MaceFremonti

After tomorrow I'll let you know what a bad day is in Feeders vs a typical day....winter storm warning of 8+ inches of snow, temps in the teens, and winds of 25+ mph starting 1 am tonight through Tuesday night forcast for my whole run tomorrow....

No I don't have a twin screw but I do have chains......:eek:

Sent using BrownCafe App

dosmastr

Yeah Mace, I was think about you guys (someone else said about driving in the snow earlier) when wifie told me its going to snow tomorrow...

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I'll def check out S&S and Jersey TT school also -- right now in fact.

be funny if I did all this thinking planning talking only to find I'd fail DOT and thus can't do it... or pkg car....

Minicuccio

I won't address everything point by point, but I can tell you that I had a lot of the same concerns and that I passed by the bid lists a few times because of those concerns. The night work, the long hours, driving that big rig in the snow, going back to cover after having my own route for so long, etc.
Once I finally made the move I realized that none of those worries amounted to a hill of beans. For an hourly employee it's the best job in the company, hands down, and if you get the chance to go take it and don't look back.
Hi Jones. Do you still feel the same? I am a part timer thinking of going to get my cdl to get into feeders but have the same concerns you mentioned. Thanks for any response!

Just by looking at each feeder driver in my hub, they look like they've each been through some :censored2: at UPS to be where they are. It hands down does look like the easiest job once one has obtained his or her CDL. Does UPS provide CDL classes? I always wondered. Haven't got too much thought or insight about feeders before, this topic is interesting.

MaceFremonti

You have to think long term...package division, at least where I am, is friendg brutal now. There will not be any newer guys doing 25 or 30 years in package anymore. The ridiculous work loads will ensure that.

You won't get physically abused in Feeders but you do need to exercise and keep an eye on your diet.

I don't think you ever get "comfortable" with the equipment but you do become more confident in your ability to handle the equipment.

Like others have posted, it is the best hourly job UPS has to offer.