Solar and other alternative power

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
There was a Facebook post going around recently about a windmill for under $1000 that could power most homes...
My neighbors 20 feet to the right and 10 feet to the left would love that I'm sure lol.

But speaking of local energy sourcing, Tesla is in the home energy game too with their powerwall systems. People think of Tesla for their cars, but the real money is in batteries.

BrownArmy

I should have stayed in school and studied patent law.

It's not even that - patents aren't the point.

China is investing heavily in solar, at a major scale, and are doubling their implementation of solar panels year by year.

(Coal in China, like the US, is plummeting).

The joke used to be that the US designed it, Japan copied and perfected it, and China split the difference and sold it to the world.

Well, maybe it's the same joke.

We're falling behind, but, 'Murica!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
When I hear someone talk about wind power , I kindly remind them of the extremely cold time in the UK a few years back .
15% of the UK electrical grid came from wind turbines .
Yet when they needed the power the most all of them froze .

It will be fine

When I hear someone talk about wind power , I kindly remind them of the extremely cold time in the UK a few years back .
15% of the UK electrical grid came from wind turbines .
Yet when they needed the power the most all of them froze .
Well I'm sure no one learned anything from that and it will certainly happen again. Engineers are idiots and won't alter the design to prevent that in the future.

newfie

Are you willing to pay $10 for a head of lettuce?

to your point not so much to you making it:
1)there are legal workers that come in on work visa's to pick the crops.
2)an illegal immigrant does not have options that allow them to work higher paying jobs. their status therefore forces them into the low paying jobs. to make the above argument you are in a sense promoting servitude based on their legal status.
3)the industry is slowing converting to more and more mechanical options to address the shrinking labor pool. many of these jobs will disappear anyway as the technology improves.

newfie

With the republicans controlling BOTH HOUSES OF CONGRESS this year, I will bet you we still run a national deficit.

Don't think that it went unnoticed that you only attacked Obama and democrats with the last six years of deficits.

12 billion savings his first month. interesting

Method Mensch

The Cape Cod Wind Project , a series of offshore wind structures is going into its second decade without being built .
US Sen ted kennedy did everything in his power to kill the idea . Seems the wind farm would be 7 miles off shore from his family's compound and so he called a nimby .
True about Kennedy. The big $ came from Bill Koch. He owns a place in Osterville, overlooking the South side of Cape Cod. Oh yeah, he also made a killing peddling coal and oil. @-h0le moves on both cases.

floridays

Lol, China burning massive amounts of coal to produce cheap electricity in order to make our solar panels.

Gotta problem with that you earth hater, we're just trying to save our mother.

Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette, crack a few heads to busta strike, you got that tuff guy?

Punk

sarcasm

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I have solar panels on my garage, net metered. One of the best investments I ever made. Between green generation credits, the money I saved on electricity, and federal and state tax credits, it paid for itself in 5 years. Panels and inverters guaranteed for 20 years. Big fan of solar.

You make a great point. It is a terrible investment without marxist government subsidies for an inferior method of energy production.

tourists24

I have solar panels on my garage, net metered. One of the best investments I ever made. Between green generation credits, the money I saved on electricity, and federal and state tax credits, it paid for itself in 5 years. Panels and inverters guaranteed for 20 years. Big fan of solar.
Pay your fair share you selfish person.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Nothing wrong with solar, but if we are allowing a country to burn massive amounts of coal, in a unregulated manner in order to produce those units, let's not pretend like we are solving any so-called climate issues.

Method Mensch

You make a great point. It is a terrible investment without marxist government subsidies for an inferior method of energy production.
I would not have done it without the tax breaks, it would not have been a good financial decision. To try to paint tax credits as "marxist" is either ignorance or silliness. Tax credits allow you to pay less in taxes to the government and to keep more in your bank account. How is that "marxist"?

Let's also consider that oil and coal have had billions in tax breaks. The depletion allowance, the federal marginal well tax credit, and federal enhanced oil recovery credit, to rattle a few off. So, DIDO; are you trying to be funny or did you, once again, get the facts wrong?

Method Mensch

Nothing wrong with solar, but if we are allowing a country to burn massive amounts of coal, in a unregulated manner in order to produce those units, let's not pretend like we are solving any so-called climate issues.
The solar panels have an estimated life of 25 years. The rough calculation is the carbon footprint of manufacturing, installing, and transporting the panels is offset after 2 years of use.

Method Mensch

What makes it an inferior method? Are Oil, gas, coal all all terrible investments without the flotilla of tax breaks they get? Would you classify the oil, gas and coal industry tax breaks as "marxist government subsidies"?