Somali pirates

bbsam

Staff member
If I'm pirate hunting I dont want an AK 47.

I already own an AK 47. Its a nice gun, great for engaging multiple targets at short range out to 150 yards or so. Beyond that its pretty inaccurate and has limited stopping power. I dont want the pirates to get that close.

If I'm pirate hunting I want a Russian Dragunov in 7.62x54 with the PSL rangefinding scope. You can buy a Romanian-built version for around $800 and an 1100-round sealed tin of surplus Russian ammo will set you back another $150 or so.

The Dragunov is a semi-automatic sniper rifle with a 10 rd magazine. You can reach out and touch something at 700 to 800 meters...almost half a mile... once you get it dialed in. The 7.62x54 round will easily punch thru car doors or light armor. With a Dragunov you could single-handedly take out an entire boat load of pirates before they could ever get close enough to use their AK-47's or RPG's. Fish in a barrel. Fun fun fun!

What is it with you hunters? Always going after deer and eik and bear from hundres of yards away. Finally you find something that can shoot back and you wanna move back even further. Where, oh where, is the sport in that?

wkmac

When it comes to defending children who've been put at peril, some of you people sure are conveniently selective in who you won't condemn!

[video=youtube;x4PgpbQfxgo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4PgpbQfxgo[/video]

Spare me your righteous indignation!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The murder of those two couples have upped the game for the Somali pirates considerably. From now on, it will generally be a "shoot first, and ask questions later" proposition when it comes to the pirates, which is fine with me. One has to think that certain governments are planning an intervention on Somali soil, either to free the current crop of hostages and vessels or exterminate these vermin at the source. Israel might have some good suggestions on how to do it. If there had been Israeli citizens held hostage, there wouldn't be any Somali pirates left to hijack anything.

It took them over 20 years to do it, but Israel hunted-down and killed every single one of the Munich terrorists. When Egypt was planning the contruction of a "super-cannon" in the 1960's that could easily reach Tel Aviv, Israel found the inventor who had collaborated with the Egyptians, killed him, and then sent a picture to every single member of the team designing the weapon warning them that the same thing would happen to them if they showed-up for work. None did.

There are actually foreign investors who back the Somali pirates, equip them with weapons, and take their cut of the profits. The methods described above would likely discourage future "investment" in Somali activities.